The Student Room Group

The immense stupidity of the young idealistic Remain vote

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Betelgeuse-
Let me make it clearer for you little guy... it took her 8 months to become a brew lady

You guys want everyone to vote for the safe economic option and not take risks when it comes to voting for right wing parties. So you can do one when you start complaining that people are not taking a risk.

You're the idealistic one. Not her. She's being conservative, not you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JordanL_
I don't understand how "life experience" makes you more qualified to make technical decisions. Do you think you're qualified to tell NASA how to get to Mars because you have life experience?

You're right, everyone that values facts and listens to people who know what they're talking about has never worked a hard days work in their life.

Thanks I am happy you have agreed with me :wink: no I don't but I think they should not hold others in contempt.l by implying they aren't clever enough to decide for themselves and trying to scare pensioners into voting remain. Basically they are saying the sky is going to fall in
Original post by cookie123456789
I am only 16!!!!! I think we need to leave!! Leave!!! Everyone leave!!! Please!!! For my generation who will be left with the mess of the eu if you vote remain!!!! Please!!!! I want to have a good future!! I want a happy life!!! Please vote leave!!! I am begging you!!!!!!!!!!!

All those Leavers who care so much about democracy (honest) denied people your age the vote. They don't believe people your age can be mature enough to be able to have a valid opinion on this matter. So why should I listen to you?

So tough luck. I'm going to be voting remain tomorrow and since I am of voting age my opinion is worthy to be voiced, yours isn't. :eviltongue:

Let this be your first lesson on politics. :giggle:
(edited 7 years ago)
Well youre not gonna win any votes by calling people stupid......

Just tell the truth.

Cameron said We will use a Remain vote to push for further reform!

Corbyn said The EU needs to change if the UK stays!

Juncker replied There will be no further renegotiation of Britain’s relationship with the EU after the referendum.

The End.
Original post by neal95
Thanks I am happy you have agreed with me :wink: no I don't but I think they should not hold others in contempt.l by implying they aren't clever enough to decide for themselves and trying to scare pensioners into voting remain. Basically they are saying the sky is going to fall in

It's nothing to do with being clever. Economics is a science. Unless you've actually studied it, you don't know any more about it now than you knew at 10 years old. "Life experience" doesn't give you some innate knowledge of technical subjects. If anything, you'd think life experience would teach people to understand when they don't know enough about something to form an opinion, and to defer to people that actually study these things, but apparently not.

There's nothing wrong with trying to get people to listen to people who know things. The opposite, dismissing qualified opinions, is arrogant and stupid.
Original post by Lord Gaben
Why are Brexiters so paranoid?

Young people have a greater say, because we will be the ones who will have to deal with the consequences of this referendum. It's about our future, so we should be concerned.

Why is immigration such a big issue?

Immigrants are coming to the UK to boost our economy, and fulfill labour shortages, which help to keep the economy stable. Anyways, David Cameron has a new deal in place to detract benefit cheats, which means that anyone coming from the EU has to leave the country if they can't find any work in six months. I think we should appreciate the immense contribution that immigrants have made. Without immigrants this country would not be where it is today.

The remain side are speaking with fact and logic, and not just merely on emotions. The fact of the matter is that the UK has had the fastest growth in GDP (per head) since being in the EU. The EU gives us a platform to share our ideas, our culture, values and our leadership with other European countries. We are no longer an economic powerhouse, and don't have as much influence as we used to. But, by being in the EU we can become more prosperous and influential in the global arena.

Basically everything in your post is untrue. You say that you should be allowed to vote just now because the outcome will affect you but this is the sort of immature, moronic thinking that is exactly the sort of reason as to why you shouldn't be allowed to vote yet. When you go into the surgeons hair you don't make the decision yourself as to how to carry out the operation because you accept you don't have the know how or skills necessary.

Politics is the same. Young people simply don't have the critical thinking skills necessary to make the right decision and the fact that so many are voting to stay is proof of that. Hasn't it occurred to you that if so many old, experienced, knowledgeable, people who have saw life before and after the EU think life is worse under it that that is perhaps something to think about? What do you know that they do not?

You also say that the remain side are speaking on logic and not emotions?? Are you serious? They just used the death of one politician and the emotion from it to promote the case for stay. All they have is emotions.

You also say that immigrants come to fill labour shortages but that is a lie. They don't. All immigrant demographics except the North East Asians i.e. Chinese, Japanese etc are more likely to be unemployed than White British. Also there are no shortages. The Government themselves reported that there are just over 400,000 jobs available yet there are around 2 million unemployed so no. There is not a labour shortage at all. Immigrants also do not boost our economy. Almost all studies show they either put in the same as they take out or take out more.

As for your lie that without immigrants this country would not be where it is today, it is exactly that...a lie. There is no evidence of this. The white working class built Britain into the greatest power the world has ever known with the largest ever empire. Immigrants did not make us what we are today at all. That is deeply untrue.

You also lie when you say that the UK has had the fastest rate of growth since being in the EU but this is also untrue. We have crashed and burnt many times since entering the EU. Remember black Wednesday?

Our growth rates have flatlined since entering the EU. The EU was formed in 1993. Look at this chart which will completely destroy your ******** point.
http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/gdp-growth

The reason why GDP per head has increased is because of the amount of debt people and the Government have taken on, no to mention the foreign purchasing of British assets. That's why GDp is going up yet people feel worse off. http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/households-debt-to-gdp

Look at our balance of trade deficit which has occurred since 1993. http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/balance-of-trade

Look at the amount of British businesses going bankrupt each year since 1993. http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/bankruptcies

Notice how our balance of trade and bankruptcies since the 1970s suddenly turned bad in 1993 the same year we joined the EU??

Do you think that is coincidence? Do you think it is coincidence that older people who lived before the EU want out??

Look at this chart which shows that the amount of money Brits had saved was steadily increasing from 1956 and then suddenly dropped in.......yep you guessed it...1993 the same year we joined the EU. http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/personal-savings

Think about it. Personal debt exploded in 1993 and has continued to rise, exports dropped against imports in 1993 and haven't recovered, bankruptcies exploded in 1993 and rise every single year, etc etc. All since joining Europe.

Trust me. As someone who remembers before and after. Life was so much better before. I would love to go back in time. Vote out. If you don't you'll come to regret it.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/22/world/europe/britain-eu-referendum-families.html?_r=0

Louise 19, said she understood the pressures that immigration placed on schools and hospitals. But leaving the European Union worried her, she said, because it risked wrecking the economy and making it hard for young people to secure employment.

It took her eight months to find work as a barista, she said.

“If I wanted to work abroad, it would be a lot easier if England was in the E.U.,” Louise said.

Spoiler

Mate! Go to the thread Britain is Better

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4181176

Stupidity?

Stupid is making a decision based on "facts" that aren't true, when you could check them online in 5 seconds.

Stupid is ignoring everyone of any significance on the planet, and deciding that you know better.

Stupid is criticising economic research based on the principles of researchers

Ironic coming from a remainer.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
All those Leavers who care so much about democracy (honest) denied people your age the vote. They don't believe people your age can be mature enough to be able to have a valid opinion on this matter. So why should I listen?

So tough luck. I'm going to be voting remain tomorrow and since I am of voting age my opinion is worthy to be voiced and yours isn't. :eviltongue:

But it's people my age who will be effected by this decision the most!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am going to go and sulk in the corner now.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/22/world/europe/britain-eu-referendum-families.html?_r=0

Louise 19, said she understood the pressures that immigration placed on schools and hospitals. But leaving the European Union worried her, she said, because it risked wrecking the economy and making it hard for young people to secure employment.

It took her eight months to find work as a barista, she said.

“If I wanted to work abroad, it would be a lot easier if England was in the E.U.,” Louise said.

Spoiler

Considering the fact the Leave campaign only seems to be able to spout out half-truths and can't make any definite promises for Britain's future, wouldn't you say the leave campaign is the naive, idealistic side of this discussion?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
All those Leavers who care so much about democracy (honest) denied people your age the vote. They don't believe people your age can be mature enough to be able to have a valid opinion on this matter. So why should I listen to you?

So tough luck. I'm going to be voting remain tomorrow and since I am of voting age my opinion is worthy to be voiced, yours isn't. :eviltongue:

Stop bullying children and vote leave.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hirondelle127
Considering the fact the Leave campaign only seems to be able to spout out half-truths and can't make any definite promises for Britain's future, wouldn't you say the leave campaign is the naive, idealistic side of this discussion?

IT'S SOoOOOoo EASY TO SAY THIS! And then the cheek to NOT EVEN BOTHER posting sufficient evidence to support your claims! :rolleyes:
Original post by TSR Mustafa
The irony is real lmao

Irony? Explain.
Original post by JamesN88
So young people are always wrong if they disagree with you?

No. I never at any point said that did I?
Original post by A-LJLB
Lol

Voting remain

Not sorry

No but you will be.
Give it time.
Stupid is criticising economic research based on the principles of researchers, and then telling us how Boris ****ing Johnson is going to save the NHS.

Lol, who said Boris Johnson is going to save the NHS? Who said anyone was going to save the NHS because from what I know so far, no government we have had in the last decade has done enough to save the NHS. What makes it harder is uncontrolled immigration from the EU. What happens if there is an in flux in immigrants? We can't control it? Our public services will be struggling because of demand. Yes immigrants put in more than they take out but it is a simple, supply and demand. If you have more people in a country, NHS demand increases, school places demands increases, all these public services would increase in demand because of an increase in immigration, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Assuming you are using that "9 out of 10 economists said voting to leave would be bad" - well, you are correct and incorrect. That survey was carried out by the Observer. The BBC said that of those who responded 88% believed leaving would be bad. 17% response rate - what does that tell you? That the majority of the 639 economists didn't even respond to that survey, and that it is unrepresentative, therefore misleading to tell people that "9 out of 10 economists said voting to leave would be bad" - that's just selectively quoting for the benefit of the Remain campaign, which is disgusting to say the least.

Here is two different sources (on the same survey):

BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36408239
The Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/28/economists-reject-brexit-boost-cameron

If you read The Guardian, they say:

"Poll shows 88% of 600 experts fear long-term fall in GDP if UK leaves single market, and 82% are alarmed over impact on household income"

The above source is misleading, because it doesn't tell you that there was a 17% response rate but not only that but they lie to you and say that it "drew responses from more than 600".

So my point is, don't ever quote that ever again.

Stupid is thinking that we'll thrive outside the EU now because we did okay before the EU 40 years ago.

We will, maybe not in the short-term but surely people are more interested in the future than now? So you don't care that we can trade with people we have never traded with before? BBC Asian News reported that China would be willing to do a "speedy trade deal" with us if we leave, that's not even reported in the main news.

Frankly, the only thing I find "stupid" is you telling people that we won't thrive and that instead our economy will go to shambles, we will be in a recession and we will not have any economic growth in the future, how pessimistic? Project Fear is true.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MrMackyTv
Assuming you are using that "9 out of 10 economists said voting to leave would be bad" - well, you are correct and incorrect. That survey was carried out by the Observer. The BBC said that of those who responded 88% believed leaving would be bad. 17% response rate - what does that tell you? That the majority of the 639 economists didn't even respond to that survey, and that it is unrepresentative, therefore misleading to tell people that "9 out of 10 economists said voting to leave would be bad" - that's just selectively quoting for the benefit of the Remain campaign is disgusting.

Here is two different sources (on the same survey):

BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36408239
The Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/28/economists-reject-brexit-boost-cameron

If you read The Guardian, they say:

"Poll shows 88% of 600 experts fear long-term fall in GDP if UK leaves single market, and 82% are alarmed over impact on household income"

The above source is misleading, because it doesn't tell you that there was a 17% response rate but not only that but they lie to you and say that it "drew responses from more than 600".

So my point is, don't ever quote that ever again.

We will, maybe not in the short-term but surely people are more interested in the future than now? So you don't care that we can trade with people we have never traded with before? BBC Asian News reported that China would be willing to do a "speedy trade deal" with us if we leave, that's not even reported in the main news.

Frankly, the only thing I find "stupid" is you telling people that we won't thrive and that instead our economy will go to shambles, we will be in a recession and we will not have any economic growth in the future, how pessimistic? Project Fear is true.

This is stupid. 1. I never quoted that survey. 2. You have no idea how surveys work. This is every survey ever. 17% response rate isn't abnormal. Most people don't respond to surveys regardless of what they're about. That means absolutely nothing, it certainly doesn't mean it's unrepresentative, and your reasoning is ludicrous - it's leave supporters that WANT change, so surely they're be more inclined to respond?
"****ing hypocrite"

"****ing idiot"

"ironic that your whole post has been to insult"

Lmao.

And here's our problem. Because you have a right to free expression, you don't need to justify your beliefs. You can talk out of your arse, do no research whatsoever, have no idea what you're talking about, but your ridiculous opinion is worth as much as that of someone that actually does know what they're talking about.

You have a right to form stupid opinions, I have a right to tell you when you're full of ****.

Firstly why are you "laughing your arse off".

You have purposefully only posted part of that sentence so it is misunderstood.
This was the whole line:
"And I find it ironic that your whole post has been to insult, not present any facts and also not justify your points."
When read in its entirety it is very different from what you present.

I responded to the OP. You responded by pointing out that I didn't present any facts despite me not having needed to and you not having done so either (ie hypocrisy). You then insulted me by calling me an old fart.

The fact I insulted you in a later post doesn't remove the irony and hypocrisy displayed in your original post and it doesn't make me a hypocrite either.
So you can LYAO all you want. You're still an idiot.

Secondly, I didn't talk out of my arse at all and have done extensive research. Of course you wouldn't know that because you are a know it all little **** who thinks you know everything. My opinions are researched, based on fact, and I do indeed know what I am talking about. Unfortunately my well informed vote means nothing as it can be cancelled out by a dumb, know-nothing like you who is so dumb that you can't even read both the OPs post and my response and recognise that the poster never asked for evidence and that my original post was only an opinion. If he had asked for evidence, which you would know he didn't if you weren't such a ****ing illiterate moron, you would have realised that fact.
This is stupid. 1. I never quoted that survey. 2. You have no idea how surveys work. This is every survey ever. 17% response rate isn't abnormal. Most people don't respond to surveys regardless of what they're about. That means absolutely nothing, it certainly doesn't mean it's unrepresentative, and your reasoning is ludicrous - it's leave supporters that WANT change, so surely they're be more inclined to respond?

Never said you did quote that survey, I assumed you did. There is a difference.

Yes, actually I do have an idea how they work. If 639 economists are surveyed and only 17% respond, that tells you something - it's unrepresentative - the more that respond to the survey, the more reliable it is, not a lot responded therefore I don't find that the survey is reliable. I think the info it tells us is that maybe most economists are unsure about what will happen? So saying that 88% of economists/9 out of 10 economists said that leaving is bad, is of course misleading.

What has leave supporters got to do with this? I am talking about experts being surveyed, economists, not supporters. They have nothing to do with that survey.
Original post by NewcastleFresher

No relevance whatsoever to the thread but still funny :laugh:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by stephenb1608
Exactly. They are morons. It is unbelievable just how dumb and stupid the young are today. Absolutely no critical thinking skills at all. This is why the SNP lowered the voting age prior to the referendum in Scotland to 16 as they knew that 16 and 17 year olds are gullible, naive and too lazy to check facts. They simply believe what they want to believe and that is their position. .

Except for the fact that most 16-17 year olds voted against or were evenly split on Scottish independence according to the polls.

Fail.

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/e1yphtuis8/Final_Prediction_140918_Final_Website.pdf
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending