The Student Room Group

Classics OCR 2016 June exam revision - Virgil and the world of the hero

Hey guys, this thread is for any one studying the above exam.Please feel free to ask questions and post revision tips! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HomeBehindTheSun
Hey guys, this thread is for any one studying the above exam.Please feel free to ask questions and post revision tips! :smile:

@Fox Corner
Original post by HomeBehindTheSun

Hi there! I added this thread to the A Level Exam Thread Directory (which you can find here). Use it to find other exam discussion threads and let me know if there's any I've missed out and I'll add them in
Reply 3
doing this one! I like the essay style, just trying to learn everything-Aeneas I guess.
Reply 4
Our class reckon Book 10 will come up as it hasn't for ages - also book 4 is a possibility as it's no longer the set text for Latin.
I feel somewhat confident about it but I actually find myself questioning the mark scheme sometimes, so hopefully the examiner won't think I'm wrong if I talk about things which aren't specifically on the mark scheme :s
Unfortunately, it tends to be the case that if it's not on the mark scheme, it doesn't get credited. The exam papers are prepared and sat by students and then the mark scheme is prepared and revised by a number of people before it gets to the stage where students' papers are being marked. This usually ensures that all markers are marking to the same requirements, so in a sense it's fair, but it might not feel like that at the time!

Students sometimes make one or two points that aren't on the mark scheme that can be credited. If you're making many more, it might mean that you're not necessarily addressing the question in the right direction.

Hope this helps!
Reply 6
Original post by Classics_Teacher
Unfortunately, it tends to be the case that if it's not on the mark scheme, it doesn't get credited. The exam papers are prepared and sat by students and then the mark scheme is prepared and revised by a number of people before it gets to the stage where students' papers are being marked. This usually ensures that all markers are marking to the same requirements, so in a sense it's fair, but it might not feel like that at the time!

Students sometimes make one or two points that aren't on the mark scheme that can be credited. If you're making many more, it might mean that you're not necessarily addressing the question in the right direction.

Hope this helps!

I'm mainly worried because one year there was a question (I think it might've been last year?) to discuss whether Book 6 of the Aeneid contains everything which makes the Aeneid successful, or along those lines. We did this question for our mock and I argued that there were other books which were just as important, but then the mark scheme ended up being solely points in favour of the discussion point, not mentioning any refuting points from other books whatsoever. :s It wasn't balanced at all
Does anyone have revision tips about preparing for this particular exam?
Original post by fairy0018
Does anyone have revision tips about preparing for this particular exam?

Hiya, the best thing to do for this exam is to learn it by theme.

So get each of your themes (Women and Family, Heroism etc), then find all the examples you can oc that theme from the Books of the Aeneid and Iliad that we have studied, make it into like a booklet and then learn the booklet. If you do this while reading say, 2 or 3 books of the Aeneid/ Iliad every week just to get reacclimatised with the story, you will be in very good shape before the exam. For the 25 marker style question it might be worth drawing up a sheet of things to look for (such as Hyperbole or anaphora or the like) then you will know what better to look for.

Hope this helps, if you need any help with themes message me!

Jake
Thanks! That's a big help :smile:

Does anyone have any examples of answers for the different bands, like 3/4/5? Think it would be really helpful to see the difference!
image.jpgimage.jpg
Attachment not found
This is a Part a and b answer for the Aeneid Question in the June 2010 paper, hope it helps.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fairy0018
Thanks! That's a big help :smile:

Does anyone have any examples of answers for the different bands, like 3/4/5? Think it would be really helpful to see the difference!

I've uploaded an answer, also, do you have the mark scheme bands?
Original post by sargentsargent2
I've uploaded an answer, also, do you have the mark scheme bands?

thanks! :smile: and yes I have the bands!
Does have anyone have a list of the narrative techniques you can discuss for Section A?
Does anyone have any predictions for section b? x
Our teacher predicted a Turnus/Achilles question might come up as there was a Aeneas/Hektor question last year.
Reply 16
i hate the roman regime and all of the history about augustus, prayin it wont come up
Original post by feeoner
i hate the roman regime and all of the history about augustus, prayin it wont come up

Me too. I feel like this is the topic we covered most in our class, yet it's the one i feel least confident about :/
Reply 18
Does anyone have some info or notes on Augustan context? We didn't get v much on it :frown:
Original post by shaylux
Does anyone have some info or notes on Augustan context? We didn't get v much on it :frown:

Hey :smile: According to the spec, I think you just need to know the general context and how that relates to the Aeneid. E.g. Aeneas' devotion to his family stems from Augustus' family values and promotion of traditional piety and Roman values. Also the messages of peace are important because he was very big on peace and closes the gates of Janus (love how that autocorrected to Kanye) twice. Basically Augustus just wanted to reinstate traditional values, religion and morality so you can apply that to Aeneas' actions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending