The Student Room Group

I need help :(

Hi, I'm currently picking my A levels right now and I've decided to do Maths and Further Maths. I went to a taster transition lesson where we were taught briefy about Bionomial Expansion and Pascalls Theorem which is C2 I believe? Anyways, many people in my class had done Further GCSE Maths which I did not do, and they knew a lot about these topics already and they were flying meanwhile I was still struggling to grasp the concept. Will picking maths and Further Maths not be appropriate for me due to not doing GCSE Further Maths, I am predicted an A* in GCSE Maths but I am not sure if I will be able to cope with this now...

Any help anybody could give me? Thank you.

-Steven
Reply 1
You will definitely be able to do it if you have a good understanding of maths. That said, it could be helpful to look over some of the Further Maths GCSE content over summer to catch up.
Reply 2
Original post by Gogregg
You will definitely be able to do it if you have a good understanding of maths. That said, it could be helpful to look over some of the Further Maths GCSE content over summer to catch up.

Thanks, maybe I should. Or should I start learning some Core 1 math?
Reply 3
Original post by TheMasterG
Thanks, maybe I should. Or should I start learning some Core 1 math?

First few chapters of C1 are just an extension of some of the higher level GCSE stuff so that could be worthwhile.
Original post by TheMasterG
Hi, I'm currently picking my A levels right now and I've decided to do Maths and Further Maths. I went to a taster transition lesson where we were taught briefy about Bionomial Expansion and Pascalls Theorem which is C2 I believe? Anyways, many people in my class had done Further GCSE Maths which I did not do, and they knew a lot about these topics already and they were flying meanwhile I was still struggling to grasp the concept. Will picking maths and Further Maths not be appropriate for me due to not doing GCSE Further Maths, I am predicted an A* in GCSE Maths but I am not sure if I will be able to cope with this now...

Any help anybody could give me? Thank you.

-Steven

It's difficult when you first hear about it, but you'll do so many practise questions binomial expansion just becomes so easy
Pascal's theorem is only briefly mentioned really
Fmaths can be harder depending on which units, but I myself found fp1 really fun and easy (lots of algebra)
There's people in my class who got Bs at GCSE and they got A's in C1 and C2
If you're predicted an A*, you should be fine
Reply 5
Original post by atomicjellyfish
It's difficult when you first hear about it, but you'll do so many practise questions binomial expansion just becomes so easy
Pascal's theorem is only briefly mentioned really
Fmaths can be harder depending on which units, but I myself found fp1 really fun and easy (lots of algebra)
There's people in my class who got Bs at GCSE and they got A's in C1 and C2
If you're predicted an A*, you should be fine

Thanks you've all put me at ease. I think I will just have to work hard from september onwards and not cruise.

Quick Reply

Latest