The Student Room Group

My Very Low Calorie Diet

Scroll to see replies

"What do you mean by 'theres no such thing as semi skinned milk?'" You can't have gone this long without realising its skimmed not skinned.... Also you probably do have an eating disorder I would go to the doctor to see if you get a diagnosis
Original post by SalazarSlytherin
"What do you mean by 'theres no such thing as semi skinned milk?'" You can't have gone this long without realising its skimmed not skinned.... Also you probably do have an eating disorder I would go to the doctor to see if you get a diagnosis

Lmao it was a typo.

I've only had this diet for 10 days. Just because I have a low calorie intake doesn't mean I have an eating disorder. If you're implying anorexia then I eat more than the 600 calories an average anorexic eats.
Original post by Anonymous
Lmao it was a typo.

I've only had this diet for 10 days. Just because I have a low calorie intake doesn't mean I have an eating disorder. If you're implying anorexia then I eat more than the 600 calories an average anorexic eats.

The way you're eating is disordered though, which is what some people are getting at. What you're doing isn't healthy.
Original post by Anonymous
I am 5ft 5 female and am 57 kg.
I'm currently under a VLAD (very low calorie diet) in order to go back to the weight I was in last summer, which was 52 kg.

This is what I do everyday:
5 AM - wake up and go jogging for an hour
6.30 AM - get dressed for school

Breakfast: 10 pieces of almonds and a glass of semi-skinned milk

7.40 AM - walk to school (takes 40 minutes)

SCHOOL
Break - an apple
Lunch - berries and an orange
SCHOOL

3.30 PM - walk from school (takes 40 minutes)

Dinner: 1 roti and a packet of baby spinach leaves from Sainsbury's (obviously it's not the same meal everyday but it's similar)

6.00 PM - evening walk for an hour

9.00 or 10.00 PM - sleep

Because of this diet, I'm losing 2 kg every week. My weight was 60 kg before this diet. I think it's good since I'm doing exercise as well - it's not only cutting down my food intake. Plus I've substituted things like crisps with vegetables.

I've received so much criticism though from my friends and I just don't see the problem with it. I know that my current weight at the moment is still healthy under the BMI but I want to feel more confident in my body, which is why I'm doing this.

What do you all think?
If what I'm doing is wrong, can you point out why?

Spoiler

Honestly, I think what you're doing is extremely unhealthy for your body - now I'm saying this because of the fact that I did exactly the same thing as you. I started going on an extremely low calorie diet, and because of it I nearly ended up in hospital. I was exercising way more than I should, and eating way less than I should.
Realistically 2kg a week is very steep and a very unhealthy weight loss. Experts usually recommend 1 kg a week at most, and that's for people who are morbidly obese (the bigger you are the easier it is to lose weight). By eating so little, your body is not having enough fuel to do everyday things - whilst now you might be like "yay I'm losing weight", soon your hair will thin out, your skin will lose its colour, you'll be tired, more likely to pass out, basically you will be malnourished. And on top of that you are doing an unrealistically large amount of exercise for how little you're eating.
Also, I don't mean to upset you, but a low calorie diet is not sustainable throughout your life. Your body will only allow you to do it for a short amount of time before it makes you start obsessing about food etc. And the worst bit? As soon as you go off it you will gain twice as much as you lost. I'll give you an example - I was on an extremely low calorie diet, for like 2 months. I went from 57kg to 53kg. I was happy with this weight, so I stopped the diet and went back to eating normally(still exercising as much as I did) and I gained 8kg in three weeks... That's right, I ended up at 61kg, after 2 months of hard work. And I wasn't even eating badly, I was just eating more than I did before.
From my own experience, and from being in your place where I used to ask others the same questions you asked, you won't be an exception. Low calorie diets which are not prescribed by a healthcare professional WILL have negative impacts on your body, are NOT sustainable and WILL make you gain weight at the end of it. What is a better idea is to eat the healthy amount for your weight and heigh, and create a calorie deficit through exercise. You don't have to exercise for 3 hours daily though!
Yes, doing it this way doesn't give you those quick results everyone wants, but it gives you sustainable ones. Ones that you can maintain throughout your life. You need to change your lifestyle, not go on some quick diet that promises results! Put it this way - remember how much I gained after stopping my low cal diet? By eating healthily but normally? Yeah well now I've been carrying out a healthy lifestyle for about 6 months, I've lost a considerable amount of weight, and gained muscle mass so I LOOK better. And I just had exams where o had takeaways most days, I ate a whole jar of Nutella in one sitting etc and guess how much I gained in 6 weeks? 0.5kg!
I'm honestly not trying to be horrible to you, I'm just worried because. I went through exactly the same thing, and it made me nearly end up in a home for people with eating disorders. I had nothing wrong with me before, but then I became obsessive and so on and so forth. I've learnt so much over the past year, from my own experience and from reading others. Now I don't claim to be a health expert, nutritionist or anything but please please please if you want to talk, and you would like me to help you lose weight in a healthy, long term way please message me privately, and I would love to help you with this!

Quick Reply

Latest