The Student Room Group

A level Workload

Would taking physics,maths, computer science and economics be too much(workload ) for me to do.?
Original post by theBranicAc
Would taking physics,maths, computer science and economics be too much(workload ) for me to do.?

No-one can tell you that because you might find some work easier and faster which would leave you with less work.
Reply 2
Original post by Shazen
No-one can tell you that because you might find some work easier and faster which would leave you with less work.

no what i mean, is by taking that combination of subjects yeild a greater workload than taking a different combinations of a levels, with different diffucilty
Reply 3
Probably not the end of the world.. There is a higher workload no matter what combat nation of subjects you choose
no what i mean, is by taking that combination of subjects yeild a greater workload than taking a different combinations of a levels, with different diffucilty

I think that Physics, Maths and computer science will be hard, but if you enjoy the subjects you will be fine.
work load n that is irrelevant, if you find the subject interesting and are interested/willing to learn about it then you will do well in it.
Is this for AS or A2?

If for AS I shouldn't have thought so. They all compliment each other nicely, especially the physics and maths. AS Level is a step up on GCSE, but totally manageable if you put the work in. Definitely keep the economics as well though, since there will be some essay writing in that, giving you scope to show you aren't just a walking, talking computer.

If for A2, I really would not recommend taking all four. Unis much prefer high grades in three than mediocre ones in four.

Hope I helped:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by SunnysideSea
Is this for AS or A2?

If for AS I shouldn't have thought so. They all compliment each other nicely, especially the physics and maths. AS Level is a step up on GCSE, but totally manageable if you put the work in. Definitely keep the economics as well though, since there will be some essay writing in that, giving you scope to show you aren't just a walking, talking computer.

If for A2, I really would not recommend taking all four. Unis much prefer high grades in three than mediocre ones in four.

even if i get 4a's or 2a*s and 2a's?

by the way I would like to study computer science or something to do with business
Reply 8
Is this for AS or A2?

also under the new a level system as wont count for your overall a level grade, so does that mean i should only chose 3 alevles of 4alevles? condsering I like all of them
Reply 9
If you think you are capable of handling those 4 together and that you'll enjoy it (thats the most important thing) then go ahead! :smile: I found economics rather difficult for AS but the exams went okay in my opinion. I picked 4 subjects that I like and thats what got me through the year without a huge amount of difficulty (stats, spanish, business and economics.)
even if i get 4a's or 2a*s and 2a's?

by the way I would like to study computer science or something to do with business

Really it comes down to how confident you feel about it, so I can't make that judgement for you. If you're sure you could get those grades, then why not? Go for it! Especially, I suppose, if you want to be involved in business, keeping the economics would be handy, and maths is always useful being universally respected and recognised.

But a couple of words of warning. Firstly, you can know for a fact that no one will ever penalise against you for taking only three A levels (the large majority of Oxford undergrads have done the same number!). But by taking four you make yourself potentially more vulnerable, albeit you may have more to gain. It's just a risk. Secondly, I remember a talk given by my headmaster at the time to my class, for those likely to be applying to Oxbridge in the future. He told us that every year it was the same story: at the end of AS, loads of people wanted to continue all four of their subjects and every year he would tell them not to, because it would be too much work, too much of a step up and too much of an unnecessary risk.

Ask all your teachers, they'll (hopefully) know what's best for you:smile:
Really it comes down to how confident you feel about it, so I can't make that judgement for you. If you're sure you could get those grades, then why not? Go for it! Especially, I suppose, if you want to be involved in business, keeping the economics would be handy, and maths is always useful being universally respected and recognised.

But a couple of words of warning. Firstly, you can know for a fact that no one will ever penalise against you for taking only three A levels (the large majority of Oxford undergrads have done the same number!). But by taking four you make yourself potentially more vulnerable, albeit you may have more to gain. It's just a risk. Secondly, I remember a talk given by my headmaster at the time to my class, for those likely to be applying to Oxbridge in the future. He told us that every year it was the same story: at the end of AS, loads of people wanted to continue all four of their subjects and every year he would tell them not to, because it would be too much work, too much of a step up and too much of an unnecessary risk.

Ask all your teachers, they'll (hopefully) know what's best for you:smile:

thanks for this advice, however i dont really go much, so most of my time would be spent revising for a level, so would that make up for the extra workload?
I do Physics, Maths, Comp Sci and Biology.

Physics is probably the one with the largest workload (I find it the hardest out of the 4) and Comp Sci is one of the more relaxed ones, and if you already have a strong theory background and programming background you will definitely find Comp Sci a breeze at A-Level.

The work is completely manageable, just make sure you use your time effectively.

EDIT: Obviously taking subjects like Media Studies, General Studies, Business will be a lot easier, but at the end of the day physics, maths and comp sci are extremely solid and well-respected A-Levels and will open many doors.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest