The Student Room Group

FP3 or M3?

Hey guys,

Going into my second year of A-Levels i'm planning on picking between FP3 and M3 as an extra module for Further Maths. What do you guys think? Can someone also link me a PDF or a downloadable file of M3 and FP3 so I can skim through the content? i would really appreciate it!
I've just finished my final year of A levels and I can tell you that if you're doing FP2 then unless you really like pure maths you'll probably be wanting something a bit different by the time you're done. I did M3 rather than FP3 (though I'm planning on doing FP3 over the summer) and I found M3 challenging but fun, while FP2 went on a bit (N.B If you're not doing FP2 then be aware you have to do one of either FP2 or FP3).

If you're really strong at pure maths then you could look at FP3 but personally I'd recommend only doing one of the A2 FP modules, they seem to be the hardest IMO
Reply 2
Original post by electrifeye
I've just finished my final year of A levels and I can tell you that if you're doing FP2 then unless you really like pure maths you'll probably be wanting something a bit different by the time you're done. I did M3 rather than FP3 (though I'm planning on doing FP3 over the summer) and I found M3 challenging but fun, while FP2 went on a bit (N.B If you're not doing FP2 then be aware you have to do one of either FP2 or FP3).

If you're really strong at pure maths then you could look at FP3 but personally I'd recommend only doing one of the A2 FP modules, they seem to be the hardest IMO

I like both M3 and FP3 because they both seem challenging yet fun as you said but I like pure maths slightly more. As part of further maths I'm doing FP1, FP2, M2, S2, D1 and either FP3 or M3.
Whats your exam board?
Reply 4
Original post by 16characterlimit
Whats your exam board?

Edexcel
M3, there is a lot less content and you can easily master it, more past papers, and FP3 is hell tbh
Reply 6
Do you have any idea what you want to do at uni? I didn't do M3 but I did M2 and FP3 and found M2 more enjoyable but FP3 more interesting. I'm doing OCR MEI and there are 5 topic options for FP3 and you can either learn them all and just choose 3 to answer in the exam or you can just choose to learn 3.
Reply 7
Original post by Alex621
Do you have any idea what you want to do at uni? I didn't do M3 but I did M2 and FP3 and found M2 more enjoyable but FP3 more interesting. I'm doing OCR MEI and there are 5 topic options for FP3 and you can either learn them all and just choose 3 to answer in the exam or you can just choose to learn 3.

Probably Engineering so both are just as useful because I have a feeling i'll be learning content from both modules at Uni.
As much as I love mechanics, I've got to say that I found FP3 to be more interesting than M3 :ahee:

But if you want to do engineering, mechanics will probably be of more use to you :yep:
Reply 9
Original post by Logic938
Probably Engineering so both are just as useful because I have a feeling i'll be learning content from both modules at Uni.

Yeah I'd probably do M3 as FP3 seems quite a rare module to take and the grade boundries on my exam board always seem really high as though only the most able people take it whereas the mechanics modules seem to be more straight forward and would probably be more reliable to help you secure whatever grade you need.
Reply 10
Original post by Alex621
Yeah I'd probably do M3 as FP3 seems quite a rare module to take and the grade boundries on my exam board always seem really high as though only the most able people take it whereas the mechanics modules seem to be more straight forward and would probably be more reliable to help you secure whatever grade you need.

Actually make a good point there! Thanks again for the advice :smile: More people do seem to take M3 as opposed to FP3, primarily because it's more approachable (even though both are respectively difficult :P)
Reply 11
Just do both, no biggie.
Reply 12
Personally I find FP3 easier, both are interesting
Fyi everybody got raped by M3 this year
Reply 14
Original post by Lucasium
Fyi everybody got raped by M3 this year

Edexcel M3 was easier than usual this year, nearly everybody on TSR seems to have scored in the 98+ UMS range.
Original post by Zacken
Edexcel M3 was easier than usual this year, nearly everybody on TSR seems to have scored in the 98+ UMS range.

Lol all the clever people do these hard modules and destroy it. Usually, further pure modules are hardest yet they have high grade boundaries lol.
Original post by Zacken

Well on AQA, the big boy exam board

Quick Reply

Latest