The Student Room Group

The immense stupidity of the young idealistic Remain vote

Scroll to see replies

The reality is that young people tend to be less racist. So they are less worried about immigration which is the most important factor in the debate.
Original post by JordanL_
I don't understand how "life experience" makes you more qualified to make technical decisions.

If you don't understand why having more experience makes you generally more informed at making technical decisions then you are an idiot. (and by the way why technical? Why not general decision making?) As you progress through life you will experience a wide variety of things and learn from them. You then become a little more informed about the realities of life and can then make decisions that are more likely to produce a better outcome.

That is the reason why every single job advert now asks for experience. Someone who is 30 years old will have had twelve years more to learn and self educate than an eighteen year old.
When was the last time you heard a 30, 40 or 50 year old say they know LESS now than they did when they were 18?? Never.
That's how time works. It moves forward. Generally you know more at 12 than you do at 10 and more at 15 than you do at 12 and more at 21 than you do at 15 and more at 3 than you do at 21. See, it's not rocket science now is it son?

"Do you think you're qualified to tell NASA how to get to Mars because you have life experience?"

Well that would depend wouldn't it. Is the life experience in something that relates to it? If his life experience is in science and working with mechanical things or aeroplanes then possibly, yes. For example Tim Peake who is the British RAF pilot currently on board the International Space Station as an astronaut. He is also 44 years old. See that? How he got the job because of his immense years of experience (and therefore age)? See how that works? I also saw a documentary about the British effort to send a probe to Mars and all the scientists were in their 40s and 50s.

Now why is that I wonder???
Hhhhmmm...maybe it's because you, a silly little know it all boy is wrong and age does make you more likely to make informed decisions.
Original post by Hirondelle127
Considering the fact the Leave campaign only seems to be able to spout out half-truths and can't make any definite promises for Britain's future, wouldn't you say the leave campaign is the naive, idealistic side of this discussion?

Half truths?
The only lies and half truths are those being spread by David Cameron and his wealthy business buddies, and the "experts" funded by the EU.
The same experts and committees, may I add, that told us our country would have an economic meltdown if we didn't join the single Euro currency.

Look at the Euro now. Do you still think we should follow the "experts"?
Original post by DorianGrayism
Except for the fact that most 16-17 year olds voted against or were evenly split on Scottish independence according to the polls.

Fail.

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/e1yphtuis8/Final_Prediction_140918_Final_Website.pdf

hahahahaha you ****ing moron. Can't you read? Don't you check your own evidence before you submit it?
That was voter intention data. It was collected before the referendum. It even says right at the top that the sample size included 783 who had already voted via postal vote and 2405 who were still to vote. It says it right there you ****ing idiot. The 783 who voted by postal vote were probably old as well.

In reality the majority of 16-18 year olds voted leave and the 4 areas where leave voters outnumbered stay were all areas that had younger than average demographics.

Read your own evidence next time you low IQ degenerate.
Original post by JordanL_
Stupidity?

Stupid is making a decision based on "facts" that aren't true, when you could check them online in 5 seconds.

Stupid is ignoring everyone of any significance on the planet, and deciding that you know better.

Stupid is criticising economic research based on the principles of researchers, and then telling us how Boris ****ing Johnson is going to save the NHS.

Stupid is thinking that we'll thrive outside the EU now because we did okay before the EU 40 years ago.

This is Britain's vote! It does not concern the rest of the planet! And we did well by refusing to change our curreny. EEA > EU.
Original post by thephysio

The same experts and committees, may I add, that told us our country would have an economic meltdown if we didn't join the single Euro currency.

Lol. No, they didn't.

Even the IMF said it was a bad idea.

Also, the UK failed their own tests for joining the Euro set out by Gordon Brown.

IF everyone thought it was a good idea, then we would have joined.
Half truths?
The only lies and half truths are those being spread by David Cameron and his wealthy business buddies, and the "experts" funded by the EU.

You Sir deserve a round of applause. :clap2:
Original post by Betelgeuse-
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/22/world/europe/britain-eu-referendum-families.html?_r=0

Louise 19, said she understood the pressures that immigration placed on schools and hospitals. But leaving the European Union worried her, she said, because it risked wrecking the economy and making it hard for young people to secure employment.

It took her eight months to find work as a barista, she said.

“If I wanted to work abroad, it would be a lot easier if England was in the E.U.,” Louise said.

Spoiler

I'd like to remind you that immigration is not really the biggest strain on the NHS that would be obesity....also the NHS is literally made out of immigrants you moron.
Lol. No, they didn't.

Even the IMF said it was a bad idea.

Also, the UK failed their own tests for joining the Euro set out by Gordon Brown.

IF everyone thought it was a good idea, then we would have joined.

The IMF? How can you even trust what the IMF says?
Original post by Scopeowner
This is Britain's vote! It does not concern the rest of the planet! And we did well by refusing to change our curreny. EEA > EU.

The EEA is exactly the same as the EU, except EEA countries don't get a vote.

They still pay and have freedom of movement.

Mate, it is one day before the referendum. You should really know this.
The IMF? How can you even trust what the IMF says?

Because they were right. Are you telling me that we should have joined the Euro against their advice?
The EEA is exactly the same as the EU, except EEA countries don't get a vote.

They still pay and have freedom of movement.

Mate, it is one day before the referendum. You should really know this.

Yes, I do know that thanks I've studied A level Geography. And from what I've learnt the EEA is a type of SEZ (Special Enterprise Zone) which is pro-economic or basically the EU without the b******t. Look at how successful Switzerland is, a prime example of an EEA nation.
Because they were right. Are you telling me that we should have joined the Euro against their advice?

They are not always right, and neither are they a good organisation. Just look at the conditions they impose upon LEDCs who want to pay off their debt to MEDCs.
Already voted to remain.
Half truths?

The Bank of England as well as Gordon Brown and Ed Balls were against euro membership as were many other experts.

NO ONE of any comparative significance has said that brexit would be better for the UK.

During the recession, caused by Wall Street and London, Gernany (and especially Canada under a certain Mark Carney) were able to avoid the worst of the crash,

Oh and the EU is the fastest growing economy so far this year.

Sorry to burst your bubble.
The reality is that young people tend to be less racist. So they are less worried about immigration which is the most important factor in the debate.

Opposing immigration does not make the individuals who support it, racist.
Has noone here seen the video of Boris Johnson not so long ago saying if there were ever to be a referendum he would vote remain?
Original post by Davij038
The Bank of England as well as Gordon Brown and Ed Balls were against euro membership as were many other experts.

NO ONE of any comparative significance has said that brexit would be better for the UK.

During the recession, caused by Wall Street and London, Gernany (and especially Canada under a certain Mark Carney) were able to avoid the worst of the crash,

Oh and the EU is the fastest growing economy so far this year.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Are you sure about EU being the fastest growing economy this year?

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/04/worlds-fastest-growing-economies/
They are not always right, and neither are they a good organisation. Just look at the conditions they impose upon LEDCs who want to pay off their debt to MEDCs.

What does that have to do with predicting that the Euro would be a bad thing for the UK?
Yes, I do know that thanks I've studied A level Geography. And from what I've learnt the EEA is a type of SEZ (Special Enterprise Zone) which is pro-economic or basically the EU without the b******t. Look at how successful Switzerland is, a prime example of an EEA nation.

Switzerland is beginning to have real problems being a member of the EEA yet not in the EU. They voted to curb immigration yet the government has not implemented this yet in fear of retaliation from the EU. They must abide by free movement etc, with no say.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest