The Student Room Group

A2 OCR Economics F583 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pato1
To what extent is EU directives bad for the UK Labour market

The only real issue I can think of is that it diminishes the UK's sovereignty, because any eu directive needs to be followed by all members.

But, the UK does have lee way on the extent to which they employ directives e.g. The working time directive set a max working week of 48 hours, but the UK has an opt- out system

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
what are the industries in the leisure market again?
Original post by SilverHorsey
what are the industries in the leisure market again?

Cinema, broadcasting, tourism and spectator sports

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
Original post by Lostrider
The only real issue I can think of is that it diminishes the UK's sovereignty, because any eu directive needs to be followed by all members.

But, the UK does lee way on the extent to which they employ directives e.g. The working time directive set a max working week of 48 hours, but the UK has an opt- out system

Posted from TSR Mobile

However there are aspects which are not abenefit. It is argued that excessive protectionfor those in work may depress economicgrowth and job creation by increasing the costof labour and even reduce the desire of firmsto employ new labour.

June 12
Original post by Pato1
Strong feeling EU directives might come up

Whether EU directives are good or bad for the labour market came up as a 20 marker before. Here is the mark scheme:

EU directives are instructions to member countries to achieve particular outcomes.They usually allow countries some flexibility in terms of national laws.

Candidates might give examples of the Working Time Directive, the Parental Leave Directive and Equal Treatment Directive.

The analysis of the beneficial effect should lead candidates into the protection of workers rights and the correction of some forms of market failure, for instance, discrimination.

Candidates might also point out that the flexibility allowed to countries is a positive point and might recognise that the UK has opted out in the past on various issues. A level playing field across the EU could be argued to encourage mobility and flexibility thus helping to fill any skill shortages and provide a greater potential supply of labour.

Changes to elasticity of supply might also be considered. Also, an approach which considers the effecton earnings and employment is relevant and candidates might produce arguments on migration which are relevant, if related to the labour market rather than the whole economy.

However there are aspects which are not a benefit. It is argued that excessive protection for those in work may depress economic growth and job creation by increasing the cost of labour and even reduce the desire of firms to employ new labour.

Candidates might broaden the arguments to include the freedom of movement of labour within the EU as part of economic integration– credit this approach if relevant to labour markets.

The Social Charter/Chapter made agreements on social provisions including a minimum wage, equal pay for male and female workers and minimum standards of health and safety. Credit analysis of these areas eg. minimum wage. Better answers will link analysis to the Social Charter/chapter.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 65
i dont know much about that actually, how much do you need for A* on both papers? what were the previous grade boundaries?
Reply 66
I honestly feel like I know nothing. No matter how much I am revising, and how much I have revised, I go through past papers and the questions just get the better of me all the time. It is literally making me brick it. I just sit there, and I can complete the AO1 and AO2 but I am really struggling with AO3+4. I only feel confident in analysing and commenting on labour markets. Are there any tips on what to aim at when evaluating? In leisure markets for example, you would look at impacts on employment, D+S, and wage rates etc.

I am seriously panicking. There is so much content.
Reply 67
f585 is so much more simple
Reply 68
Original post by Pato1
f585 is so much more simple

i agree, how was your f585? i think i should be headed for atleast a high A but would be disappointed if below :frown:
axes for the diagrams are costs and output right?
Reply 70
Original post by kamez
i dont know much about that actually, how much do you need for A* on both papers? what were the previous grade boundaries?

http://www.sussexdowns.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/OCR-unit-level-raw-mark-and-ums-grade-boundaries-june-2015.pdf
Reply 71
Original post by kamez
i agree, how was your f585? i think i should be headed for atleast a high A but would be disappointed if below :frown:

It went well, f583 is a completely different story.
Reply 72
Original post by Lenners
I honestly feel like I know nothing. No matter how much I am revising, and how much I have revised, I go through past papers and the questions just get the better of me all the time. It is literally making me brick it. I just sit there, and I can complete the AO1 and AO2 but I am really struggling with AO3+4. I only feel confident in analysing and commenting on labour markets. Are there any tips on what to aim at when evaluating? In leisure markets for example, you would look at impacts on employment, D+S, and wage rates etc.

I am seriously panicking. There is so much content.

just think of it like common sense, do not think of government policies so specifically, think of them broadly, such as legislations and policies could be regional policies, financial assistance, NMW, benefits (means tested, kind, universal), redistribution of goods and services and so much more. do not restrict yourself due to what is written in the book. economics is much more than what is in the book. use your real life examples! That is what Ao4 is all about, judgement and evaluation. what do you think about it? what should one do? is it a correct policy? for example, for trade unions, talk about their power in a developing country and a developed country. where do u think the power is higher? how do they protests in developing countries vary to the ones in developed countries? and if u do not remember a lot of micro answers, you can even talk about macroeconomic problems such as inflation, unemployment, bop deficit, environmental loss, unsustainability etc. just be open!
Reply 73
Original post by Pato1
It went well, f583 is a completely different story.

glad to hear, im sticking to spectator sports or imperfect information. i think one of them should come up. are you a fan of leisure industry essays or LBF? i prefer LBF
Reply 74
Original post by SilverHorsey
axes for the diagrams are costs and output right?

can be wage rate and quantity of labour, could be price and quantity.. could be costs/revenue and quantity of whatever...it depends!
Reply 75
Original post by kamez
just think of it like common sense, do not think of government policies so specifically, think of them broadly, such as legislations and policies could be regional policies, financial assistance, NMW, benefits (means tested, kind, universal), redistribution of goods and services and so much more. do not restrict yourself due to what is written in the book. economics is much more than what is in the book. use your real life examples! That is what Ao4 is all about, judgement and evaluation. what do you think about it? what should one do? is it a correct policy? for example, for trade unions, talk about their power in a developing country and a developed country. where do u think the power is higher? how do they protests in developing countries vary to the ones in developed countries? and if u do not remember a lot of micro answers, you can even talk about macroeconomic problems such as inflation, unemployment, bop deficit, environmental loss, unsustainability etc. just be open!

Thank you my friend, due to studying History in British Politics (1945-90) application is relatively easy. I think you are right in being more broad, I guess one could say 'taking a step back to get a closer look'. Your reply certainly helped, thanks once again.
Reply 76
Original post by Lenners
Thank you my friend, due to studying History in British Politics (1945-90) application is relatively easy. I think you are right in being more broad, I guess one could say 'taking a step back to get a closer look'. Your reply certainly helped, thanks once again.

haha no problem man.
Reply 77
does anyone have facts and figures about top teams in football with their market concentration ratio or something? i dont watch a lot of football :O thanks!
Original post by kamez
does anyone have facts and figures about top teams in football with their market concentration ratio or something? i dont watch a lot of football :O thanks!

all i know is spurs are the best! haha
Does anyone have a rough plan for the imperfect information essay?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending