The Student Room Group

Support at College

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on what kind of support FE colleges can offer for students with chronic illnesses. I have chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, and some kind of blood disorder with a bunch of separate mobility issues on top. I tried at the same college two years ago and my attendance was about 25-35%, but this was with no understanding and support. I had to drop out after the first year, and I'm coming to the end of the year out I took. I've applied and I'm planning on going back for a new course, games dev and animation, starting September. They've offered me a quiet room and a lift pass etc, but how lenient can they be towards attendance? With support this time, I'm hoping for it to not be so bad, but if I struggle I'd like to be able to request to do some work from home where possible and to drop unnecessary lessons that are not part of the course. I'll be days off turning 19 when I start, and nearly 21 when I finish. I feel like this is my last chance to get an education and move onwards and upwards, so I really need to get through this. Has anyone had any experience with this? Thanks x
Its not your last chance by any means.

Surely they have some sort of disability support officer and you cna make suggestions about working at home.
You really have to talk to them and get all these questions answered so you cna make your mind up and they are aware.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger

Surely they have some sort of disability support officer and you cna make suggestions about working at home.
You really have to talk to them and get all these questions answered so you cna make your mind up and they are aware.

Have you made an application for DSA?

DSA doesn't exist for further education.
Original post by Tiger Rag
DSA doesn't exist for further education.

oops misread will amend.

Have you made an application for DSA?

I've spoken to them and the learning support people were great, although couldn't answer much about attendance or working from home as it's down to the course leader and the tutors who I didn't deal so well with last time around. Can't get DSA but there's PIP, which I do plan on applying for when I'm sorted out a bit more and I know what I'm doing with myself haha. On thinking, because of my age and income I can get a bursary for things like meals and necessary equipment for the course, and I can get travel expenses too.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by chelseadagg3r
I've spoken to them and the learning support people were great, although couldn't answer much about attendance or working from home as it's down to the course leader and the tutors who I didn't deal so well with last time around. Can't get DSA but there's PIP, which I do plan on applying for when I'm sorted out a bit more and I know what I'm doing with myself haha. On thinking, because of my age and income I can get a bursary for things like meals and necessary equipment for the course, and I can get travel expenses too.

You need to talk to the course organisers. there must be a minimum level of attendance they will accpet. Dealing with it now will abopid it being a problem later or at least give you an idea on what to expect. If you dont feel comfy then ask the learning support people to advocate for you.

http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/funding-further-education-disabled-students#four
You need to talk to the course organisers. there must be a minimum level of attendance they will accpet. Dealing with it now will abopid it being a problem later or at least give you an idea on what to expect. If you dont feel comfy then ask the learning support people to advocate for you.

http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/funding-further-education-disabled-students#four

That's true actually. I'm going to look into seeing if I can have a member of the learning support team accompany me to interview to help me get through any questions of previous attendance there (25-35% didn't make me look too good, though that was when I had no support) and hopefully we'll all be able to sort something out. I'll have to look into the funding support for at least the second year. I'll turn 19 days after starting the course so I may be eligible for it then too. Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
That's true actually. I'm going to look into seeing if I can have a member of the learning support team accompany me to interview to help me get through any questions of previous attendance there (25-35% didn't make me look too good, though that was when I had no support) and hopefully we'll all be able to sort something out. I'll have to look into the funding support for at least the second year. I'll turn 19 days after starting the course so I may be eligible for it then too. Thanks!

You have to honestly address the issues and mentionining problems before they happen is more sensible.
You have to honestly address the issues and mentionining problems before they happen is more sensible.

Yeah, that's the way I'm going this time around. Last time, two years ago, my school told me not to and that I wouldn't get into college etc and that didn't exactly work out so well haha
Yeah, that's the way I'm going this time around. Last time, two years ago, my school told me not to and that I wouldn't get into college etc and that didn't exactly work out so well haha

You sound a bit nervous. Its your future and you need to stick up for yourself as well as deal with things honestly. You need to come up with a plan that maximises your attendance and you are able to give them some reassurance.

See what the disability support people can do for you. Good luck.
Do you have a parent who can talk to the student support or welfare officer for you to re-enforce your needs? Is it a BTEC level 2/3 that you are doing? If this is the case talk to the course leader as suggested - some work will be put up on the moodle and sometimes there will be specific lessons they will want you to attend especially when starting a new unit - but my son was able to work from home for quite a lot of it as it was assignment based and the college put up power points.
He also got a free lunch and free coach travel to and from college ( £750 a year if you had to pay for it ) £30 a year printer credit and any essential trips relevant to the course were also paid for.
I think you just need to demonstrate to the course leader how passionate (hate that word) you are about doing the course and how hard you are prepared to work - having done a year at college you now know what you need from them to help you succeed.

Good luck - I am sure you will do well - and as has been said,it's not your last chance - there are always other options - sometimes it just takes a while and a lot of hard work to figure them out.

If you then go on to Uni to do animation and / games development you will find a whole world of support,both financial and practical,so don't be put off by your past experience - my son is doing computer science and the support the uni and DSA have given is amazing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending