The Student Room Group

Opinion on CGP Books?

I'll be studying the three sciences in September and I was wondering if you think using the CGP Revision Guide(s) for each subject is enough to eventually get AAA? I've seen some and they're very concise, surely this is a good thing presuming they stick directly to the specification? What are your experiences/outcomes with them?
Reply 1
Used them for OCR A Physics/Chem this year (AS), they're alright but don't rely on them, they do miss out a fair bit of information to keep it concise. I found it better to use as a checklist with brief points to remember other details from textbooks/classnotes.
Definitely use them for revision as it cuts the amount of time, but don't use only them, use them alongside all your resources.
I found them very useful for AQA A-level Physics and Chemistry (old spec). It was very handy for learning things first, before going through the textbook and picking out any additional things that needed to be known.
Original post by Wisbey
I'll be studying the three sciences in September and I was wondering if you think using the CGP Revision Guide(s) for each subject is enough to eventually get AAA? I've seen some and they're very concise, surely this is a good thing presuming they stick directly to the specification? What are your experiences/outcomes with them?

They're great for revision purposes - don't rely on them completely, however they can help you get your head around certain things. I haven't used them for A Level but for GCSE they were good for doing that. :tongue:
I haven't done Alevels yet but they were useful for GCSE for cramming, But they didn't really include all the information I needed. I didn't rely on them much but I know some of my friends struggled to word things in exams as they learnt them from the CGP books and in there it is written in an informal manner. I would keep them in case I need to look up a certain topic area but I wouldn't base my revision or study off of them.

Good luck with everything :smile:
I think with the CGP books they often appear very "daunting", if you know what I mean, and you're often hit by a wall of text. However they usually explain difficult concepts quite well, so I would use them in combination with the specification
Used at both GCSE and A level; can't recommend enough. I've used Pearson, Collins, Letts, Nelson Thornes, etc., And can honestly say CGP are the best. Learn them, know them, they'll do you good. If you want top top UMS one resource won't be enough so I'd recommend checking out a variety -- but definitely get CGP. The student books for A level are superb and the revision guides are good too.

They're clear, concise and use plain English. The nelson thornes books my school uses just don't make sense, and aren't worth twice the price.

Best of luck! X
What the hell?!?! What subject exam board and level is that?
Original post by Wisbey

They are pretty useful but they do miss out a little bit of information.
Reply 9
Original post by Wisbey

I was told at school that the highest grade you can get from CGP is a C
Original post by Shazen
What the hell?!?! What subject exam board and level is that?

Read what it says at the top of the page.
Meh they're okay for last minute revision. I used a cup textbook for bio last yeah and it want detailed enough.
Original post by Ollie231213
Read what it says at the top of the page.

Ohh ok
If you have learned the content already then they're great for revision. But for all the sciences print off the spec and do every past paper if you want 3 As
Reply 14
got a*a in bio and chem with it, don't use if you're not smart though

Quick Reply