The Student Room Group

There WILL be another referendum, probably in about 6 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_Act_2011

If there is a major transfer of powers, it triggers a referendum.
Original post by democracyforum

I suspect what will happen is that there will be some politically uncontroversial measure which is opposed by someone because of a personal interest; he goes off to law arguing the referendum provisions are triggered, he wins and everyone troops off to vote on whether the EU can dictate the size of the stars on the European flag or something like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It could be just a referendum on the proposed change rather than in/out

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wonder how they'll sell that one?

Britain if you don't agree with this referedum you will have 100 billion austerity! PROJECT FEAR!!!!!

oh noes EU we will do whatever you say don't hurt us ........ shakes in fear ....... ticks remain & hand over all democratic rights for tyranny & dictatorship.

I swear most people in our country are cowards.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Sounds like Leavers already know they have lost.
Original post by Maker
Sounds like Leavers already know they have lost.

They believe they have lost, but the problem is that no-one is confident about opinions polls and no-one has the breadth of view to "see" the entire electorate and make a judgement.

You can work out who has won a general election simply by thinking about the constituencies that a party needs to win and thinking, can Party X with its policies win here?

Can someone in say Bournemouth fairly judge whether 70% or 85% of the electorate of Glasgow will vote to Remain?
Original post by illegaltobepoor
Wonder how they'll sell that one?

Britain if you don't agree with this referedum you will have 100 billion austerity! PROJECT FEAR!!!!!

oh noes EU we will do whatever you say don't hurt us ........ shakes in fear ....... ticks remain & hand over all democratic rights for tyranny & dictatorship.

I swear most people in our country are cowards.

Project Fear?

Project Cold Hard Reality more like.

Unlike Project Fear-of-foreigners, or Project Oh-it'll-be-alright-somehow.
Original post by nulli tertius
They believe they have lost, but the problem is that no-one is confident about opinions polls and no-one has the breadth of view to "see" the entire electorate and make a judgement.

You can work out who has won a general election simply by thinking about the constituencies that a party needs to win and thinking, can Party X with its policies win here?

Can someone in say Bournemouth fairly judge whether 70% or 85% of the electorate of Glasgow will vote to Remain?

Actually it only triggers a vote on a new treaty, not in/out

but how can one country reject it and the other 27 countries accept it ?

Part of Cameron's agreement earlier this year was that the UK would not be obligated to sign up to any new European initiatives it has no interest in. It also therefore implies the UK would not block any initiatives of that sort as long as it can opt out.

So if the Eurozone were to further integrate, we can stand aside if we wish and let them get on with it.

I think you were answering a different post. I am referring to Thursday and you are not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gladders
Project Fear?

Project Cold Hard Reality more like.

Unlike Project Fear-of-foreigners, or Project Oh-it'll-be-alright-somehow.

Now if Europe was going to declare war on us I'd be scared but 30 billion austerity is nothing when compared to the prospect of a economic collapse which the European Central Bank will be responsible for though printing Euros out of thin air!
Original post by illegaltobepoor
Now if Europe was going to declare war on us I'd be scared but 30 billion austerity is nothing when compared to the prospect of a economic collapse which the European Central Bank will be responsible for though printing Euros out of thin air!

Blame the Government for austerity, not the EU.

Especially as withdrawing would trigger another recession and bring even more austerity.

This is Project Reality.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending