The Student Room Group

How will you celebrate when Brexit happens?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Naveed-7
You were given a so called "warning" that the Pound will drop by a Banker named George Soros.
He is the guy that is making profit from our losses. He is lying, because he doesnt want us to leave the EU. I would not trust these guys.
Im Voting Leave mate.

And practically every economic expert and body there is, but of course unless experts agree with you then they're not worth listening to. No way you could be wrong :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SamuelSingleton
Tea & Scones party anyone?

Count me in :mmm:
Reply 102
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
So what red tape do we have, wouldn't have to abide by even if we wanted to trade with the EU and causes any noticeable hassle?

Won't be celebrating - but probably try and ride out the inevitable financial crash, buy a house once they've become worthless and take advantage of the granny rule to get a Scottish passport so I can retain the benefits of the EU when the United Kingdom is irrevocably destroyed by indyref 2.0 and renewal of the troubles due to the falling apart of the good Friday agreement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a bit pessimistic.

Original post by drowzee
I will not be celebrating that's for sure. I'm annoyed I can't vote :colonhash:

You're not British?
Original post by floury
We're not going to remain! So get that thought out of your head.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Let's wait until tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chrosson
I'm finding Poe's law in full effect here.

I just did a quick test, and it'd be easy for me to pass the points requirements for immigration to Canada. You'll likely find the same of many skilled workers.

And the lack of freedom of movement in the EU doesn't mean "immigration is banned". It just makes things much more difficult for unskilled workers.

What test? lol

Skilled workers are at a severe disadvantage, it doesn't mean that if you've a degree and some work experience that it's easy to migrate. Literally hundreds of thousands of applicants have those things.

Nobody spoke of a ban but it's effectively a severe restriction for everyone, skilled or unskilled.
really wanna buy fireworks but no one is selling them at the moment probably just get drunk
Original post by karl pilkington
really wanna buy fireworks but no one is selling them at the moment probably just get drunk

The irony of this is that it's much easier to get big cheap fireworks from Europe and bring them back here with such ease because of the EU :laugh:
Original post by Josb
That's a bit pessimistic.

You're not British?

More realistic - the economy will go into recession and with that house prices come down. As for the future of the UK - Scotland is consistently polling 20-25% remain, and the no camp will lose ground in an indyref when losing EU membership isn't a question. Leave wins tomorrow and Scotland will leave the uk. As for the good Friday agreement and the peace in ireland,Sinn Fein are promising to call for a reunification as permitted in the Good Friday Agreement - and what happens then?

Quite funny tbh that leave will literally destroy the United Kingdom and leave it as just England (and maybe Wales) in order to "save it" from the EU.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
LOL the fact is we are staying. The result is going to be REMAIN. Unfortunately, that's pretty much a fact now.
Reply 109
Original post by alevelstresss
This vote truly is ignorance versus rationalism. Its the same sort of people who got Trump so popular, but in our country and its own context, I truly hope reason prevails.

Yeah, I'm sure Tony Benn would have been a vociferous supporter of Donald Trump
Reply 110
More realistic - the economy will go into recession and with that house prices come down. As for the future of the UK - Scotland is consistently polling 20-25% remain, and the no camp will lose ground in an indyref when losing EU membership isn't a question. Leave wins tomorrow and Scotland will leave the uk. As for the good Friday agreement and the peace in ireland, it's quite reliant on the border management there - leave requires a renegotiation of the agreement, and what happens in the meantime? Wouldn't be all that surprising to see a reunified ireland in the wake of leave.

Quite funny tbh that leave will literally destroy the United Kingdom and leave it as just England (and maybe Wales) in order to "save it" from the EU.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it a bad thing that house prices will go down? For me it's the best outcome of Brexit.

I don't think Ireland will refuse a new border agreement with the UK. I'm more worried about getting a trade deal with China in time.
Reply 111
And practically every economic expert and body there is, but of course unless experts agree with you then they're not worth listening to. No way you could be wrong :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Experts that are paid by the EU

Experts that have got it cataclysmically wrong on multiple occasions in the recent past

Experts that are only commenting on one of a number of issues relevant to this referendum

Perhaps you should try thinking for yourself.
Reply 112
Original post by Fenice

Experts that have got it cataclysmically wrong on multiple occasions in the recent past

Experts that are only commenting on one of a number of issues relevant to this referendum

Wonder if you would be tooting this argument if they agreed with your point of view. :holmes:
Original post by Foo.mp3
2) To those 1 in 10, we say: good luck to you, and don't forget to close the door on your way out :chaplin:
The majority of people *able* to leave are those who can get secure job offers in other countries, i.e. are in demand. Seems a bit odd to not even acknowledge this as a bad thing in isolation (even if mitigated by other benefits you may believe will occur).

Original post by Sisuphos
What test? lol

Skilled workers are at a severe disadvantage, it doesn't mean that if you've a degree and some work experience that it's easy to migrate. Literally hundreds of thousands of applicants have those things.

Nobody spoke of a ban but it's effectively a severe restriction for everyone, skilled or unskilled.

The express entry test. If you don't know about it I assume you don't know much about immigration to Canada? In which case I question why you're talking about it.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp
I get >1000 (maximum 1200) because I know I can get a job offer (I've had one from Canada before) which basically doubles my points.
Last month, anyone with >488 points was let in (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/rounds.asp).
I also think that Brexit is not going to happen.
I think we better put a couple of people here on suicide watch.

Naveed, fenice,illegaltobepoor, jammy

:wink:
Reply 116
Original post by Bryci
Wonder if you would be tooting this argument if they agreed with your point of view. :holmes:

No I wouldn't, because I'd know that someone would come along and make precisely the points I've just made

These experts have zilch credibility on this issue on a number of different levels
Original post by Fenice

If the economics side of things is less important to you than other facets that's fine (e.g. 'sovereignty' which I've heard people saying a lot?), but I cannot see how you can possibly defend "ignore the experts".

It's like people being told to install an antivirus on Windows - some people who have an understanding of the topic and trade offs (or think they do) may not listen to the advice, but the vast majority of people should probably just accept the advice at face value.
Original post by JoePFR
I'll probably look at whether it's feasible to move to another country that doesn't have an impending financial crisis.

Anywhere outside the Eurozone is the safer bet then.

Good luck!

--------------------------------------

Answering the OP, I'll celebrate by: Doing nothing.

I'll be happy that (in my opinion) the country's interests have been served, but it's not something to get excited over. I'll just be quietly satisfied that democracy has won and will continue on in the UK while the EU struggles with it's democratic deficit and economic woes.
I'll feel bad for our cousins inside the EU, hopefully others will be emboldened to follow suit.

To the remainder if further integration within the EU as it stands is what they want I'll wish them the best of luck and get on with my life.

:smile:
Original post by Foo.mp3
We can lose a few bankers, you never know, the City might actually shed some of its scum :smile:

Having banks in London is (unfortunately) a net positive to the economy of the UK. If they move elsewhere the UK won't get a slice of the pie. I mean, it certainly could be considered a plus in terms of morality of the country, but taken in isolation it's an unambiguous net negative on the economics side.

As for other sectors, like science and industry, we have a robust, highly developed, world renowned offering, and this segment of the labour-force is much less fleet of foot/more concerned with the quality of their work/society. Keepers

My field is technology, so I can only talk about that. London is currently a distant second place to San Francisco...and the only reason it's second at all is because all the banks are here. Remove those and you have a relatively poor startup scene, outposts of American companies and a few UK-based companies.

Right now there are multiple places trying to become 'the next silicon valley', and brexit would severely impact London's chances - why gather in London if you can effortlessly draw on the skills of all of Europe by setting up elsewhere? The difficulty of immigrating to the US means Europe is an untapped market of technical talent, and we're potentially going to decide it's a good idea to hinder our ability to utilise it.

How exactly do you measure being fleet of foot? I'd argue that technology workers are very fleet-of-foot because so many of them try to migrate to SF like flies to manure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending