The Student Room Group

AQA A2 MFP2 Further Pure 2 – 24th June [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jm098
yeah I'd agree! some questions are repetitive though... hoping for some nice integrals

Some are but nothing like FP3 where there was basically only 3 topics in the entire unit. Hope so too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 81
Original post by PiTheta97
Some are but nothing like FP3 where there was basically only 3 topics in the entire unit. Hope so too

Posted from TSR Mobile

can't wait to see what they throw M2 for the last question
Anyone mind explaining some of the harder questions to me if I post the ones I'm struggling with?
Hey can some one help me with the proof by induction question on the 2015 paper please ?
I've attached what I've managed to do so far, but don't understand how to simplify fp2.jpg
Reply 84
Original post by Kedric123
Anyone mind explaining some of the harder questions to me if I post the ones I'm struggling with?

yeah i will
Reply 85
Original post by Roxanne18
Hey can some one help me with the proof by induction question on the 2015 paper please ?
I've attached what I've managed to do so far, but don't understand how to simplify fp2.jpg

16 is 2^4 so the 2^4k+7 s cancel :smile:
Original post by Jm098
16 is 2^4 so the 2^4k+7 s cancel :smile:

Oh wow can't believe I didn't see that, thank you !
Original post by girlruinedme
Someone please explain the factorials in the 2015 paper for

(r+1)! can be expressed as (r+1)r!, it can be expressed as that because for example 4! = 4*3! because 4! = 4*3*2*1 = 4*3!. (r+2)! can be expressed as (r+2)(r+1)r! just like how 4! = 4*3*2!.

Here's some working for the question.
Reply 88
Could someone kindly explain june 11 q4) aiv), bi) and bii) - I don't understand the method shown in the solutions

Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 00.01.01.png

Thanks in advance!
Reply 89
Where did they get the results in the mark scheme for June 14 4bii?
image.jpg
Attachment not found
Original post by C0balt
image.jpg
Attachment not found

Honestly I have no idea. I just used the method shown to the right.
Original post by Buntar
Could someone kindly explain june 11 q4) aiv), bi) and bii) - I don't understand the method shown in the solutions

Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 00.01.01.png

Thanks in advance!

α\alpha satisfies the equation since it is a root. But so are β\beta and γ\gamma so they also satisfy the equation.
You want the sum of the cubes of the roots, so clearly you want to add the equations α32α2+k=0\alpha^3-2\alpha^2+k=0, β32β2+k=0\beta^3-2\beta^2+k=0,γ32γ2+k=0\gamma^3-2\gamma^2+k=0 to get Σα32Σα2+3k=0\Sigma\alpha^3-2\Sigma\alpha^2+3k=0 and the result follows.

For the next two cases you want the sum of fourth powers and fifth powers, so it makes sense to multiply the equation by xx and x2x^2 respectively and do the same thing.
Reply 92
Original post by IrrationalRoot

Do you mind explaining your method
Original post by Hjyu1

There's no method to explain, the whole method is shown in two lines to the right on the mark scheme.
If there's something specific you don't understand within it, let me know and I'll explain it.
Reply 94
Original post by C0balt
image.jpg
Attachment not found

Original post by Hjyu1

This is how I did it:

(α+β)(β+γ)(γ+α)[br]=(α+β)(αβ+βγ+γα+γ2)[br]=α2β+γα2+αβ2+β2γ+βγ2+γ2α+2αβγ[br]=(α+β+γ)(αβ+βγ+γα)3αβγ+2αβγ[br]=(α+β+γ)(αβ+βγ+γα)αβγ[br]=ΣαΣαβαβγ(\alpha + \beta)(\beta + \gamma)(\gamma + \alpha)[br]= (\alpha + \beta)(\alpha\beta + \beta\gamma + \gamma\alpha +\gamma^2)[br]= \alpha^2\beta + \gamma\alpha^2 + \alpha\beta^2 + \beta^2\gamma + \beta\gamma^2 + \gamma^2\alpha + 2\alpha\beta\gamma [br]= (\alpha + \beta + \gamma)(\alpha\beta + \beta\gamma + \gamma\alpha) - 3\alpha\beta\gamma + 2\alpha\beta\gamma[br]= (\alpha + \beta + \gamma)(\alpha\beta + \beta\gamma + \gamma\alpha) - \alpha\beta\gamma[br]= \Sigma\alpha\Sigma\alpha\beta - \alpha\beta\gamma

Expanding the brackets on line 4 gives us an extra 3αβγ3\alpha\beta\gamma which we don't want, hence the 3αβγ-3\alpha\beta\gamma.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 95
α\alpha satisfies the equation since it is a root. But so are β\beta and γ\gamma so they also satisfy the equation.
You want the sum of the cubes of the roots, so clearly you want to add the equations α32α2+k=0\alpha^3-2\alpha^2+k=0, β32β2+k=0\beta^3-2\beta^2+k=0,γ32γ2+k=0\gamma^3-2\gamma^2+k=0 to get Σα32Σα2+3k=0\Sigma\alpha^3-2\Sigma\alpha^2+3k=0 and the result follows.

For the next two cases you want the sum of fourth powers and fifth powers, so it makes sense to multiply the equation by xx and x2x^2 respectively and do the same thing.

Thank you!
Reply 96
Original post by sam_97
This is how I did it:

(α+β)(β+γ)(γ+α)[br]=(α+β)(αβ+βγ+γα+γ2)[br]=α2β+γα2+αβ2+β2γ+βγ2+γ2α+2αβγ[br]=(α+β+γ)(αβ+βγ+γα)3αβγ+2αβγ[br]=(α+β+γ)(αβ+βγ+γα)αβγ[br]=ΣαΣαβαβγ(\alpha + \beta)(\beta + \gamma)(\gamma + \alpha)[br]= (\alpha + \beta)(\alpha\beta + \beta\gamma + \gamma\alpha +\gamma^2)[br]= \alpha^2\beta + \gamma\alpha^2 + \alpha\beta^2 + \beta^2\gamma + \beta\gamma^2 + \gamma^2\alpha + 2\alpha\beta\gamma [br]= (\alpha + \beta + \gamma)(\alpha\beta + \beta\gamma + \gamma\alpha) - 3\alpha\beta\gamma + 2\alpha\beta\gamma[br]= (\alpha + \beta + \gamma)(\alpha\beta + \beta\gamma + \gamma\alpha) - \alpha\beta\gamma[br]= \Sigma\alpha\Sigma\alpha\beta - \alpha\beta\gamma

Expanding the brackets on line 4 gives us an extra 3αβγ3\alpha\beta\gamma which we don't want, hence the 3αβγ-3\alpha\beta\gamma.

Thanks, I see it but how did you spot going from line 3 to 4 without seeing the ms
Reply 97
Original post by C0balt
Thanks, I see it but how did you spot going from line 3 to 4 without seeing the ms

No problem. I haven't done the paper for a while so I can't remember too clearly, I think I just presumed that the terms in line 3 might factorise somehow with all the squared terms knocking around.
Reply 98
Do we have to know to derive surface area revolution thing
Original post by C0balt
Do we have to know to derive surface area revolution thing

No

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending