The Student Room Group

The immense stupidity of the young idealistic Remain vote

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SimonGregor
Am I the only one who hates the fact that people are like "anyone who votes leave is a moron and is gonna destroy the country" vise versa. It is someone's decision, don't belittle it because you disagree. Like just today I was watching a video on it and in the comments a person was like "people who wanna risk leaving are the type of people with 2 GCSEs". It just annoys me that people insult each other because that have contradicting views.

Well, I want to risk leaving and I do indeed have 2 GCSEs...not exactly 2, but that's not what they said. :tongue:
why is it that anyone who opposes uncontrolled immigration is labelled a racist or xenophobic?
People have genuine concerns .

The far lefts are as bad as the far rights - bunch of *****.
I have decided not to vote eventhough I registered as both sides are full of ****!!
Original post by RUNSran
why is it that anyone who opposes uncontrolled immigration is labelled a racist or xenophobic?
People have genuine concerns .

The far lefts are as bad as the far rights - bunch of *****.
I have decided not to vote eventhough I registered as both sides are full of ****!!

Spoil your ballot paper if that's how you feel.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Well, I want to risk leaving and I do indeed have 2 GCSEs...not exactly 2, but that's not what they said. :tongue:

But is still your right as a citizen. You shouldn't feel peer pressured into voting for something you don't want to
Original post by SimonGregor
But is still your right as a citizen. You shouldn't feel peer pressured into voting for something you don't want to

Yeah of course, I was just messing around. I have a feeling many of my old school friends in my age group (I am 19) would practically chastise me for wanting to vote leave. The one I have spoken to about it is very confused by my position but certainly more respectful than many are being in this debate.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
You guys want everyone to vote for the safe economic option and not take risks when it comes to voting for right wing parties. So you can do one when you start complaining that people are not taking a risk.

You're the idealistic one. Not her. She's being conservative, not you.

I would suggest that if you cannot gain employment as a brew lady for 8 months.. you have nothing to lose

You understand risk isnt necessarily a bad thing? Show me a middle class family with a home and with two comfortable well paying jobs and i can understand them not taking the "risk" ..

a 19 year old who it took 8 months to gain employment as serving coffee... she has nothing to lose and everything to gain
Original post by drogon
In case you forgot, we live in a plutocracy. This means their interests and our interests are very interlinked. Besides, who says "leave" favours the average person. Need i remind you of the economic ramifications of leaving?

You can't, because you don't know any.
And you can't know any, because there are mostly economic benefits. :smile:

Original post by drogon
Jordan, you're far too smart for these brexit peasants. Dont bother.

:for the shits and giggles:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hirondelle127
Considering the fact the Leave campaign only seems to be able to spout out half-truths and can't make any definite promises for Britain's future, wouldn't you say the leave campaign is the naive, idealistic side of this discussion?

The leave campaign can predict the future as well as the remain campaign. Care to tell me who the EU president will be in 10 years? Care to tell me which countries will have joined? Care to tell me what will happen with the eurozone? With Greece? With Italy? Will we join the Euro? Will we have an EU army? With the refugee crisis?...

I could go on and on. Please tell me
Original post by JoePFR
If either vote is idealistic it is CLEARLY the leave vote, which is almost entirely substantiated by nationalistic rubbish, fear and speculation. If you think one quote from one 19 year old represents the entire remain group then you're ignorant.

Yet you think "nationalistic rubbish, fear and speculation" is mostly representative?

Pot calling the kettle black?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nav1234567
I'd like to remind you that immigration is not really the biggest strain on the NHS that would be obesity....also the NHS is literally made out of immigrants you moron.

You should refrain calling people morons in the same post you expose your inability to read. Nowhere did i say immigrants are the biggest burden on the NHS sweetpea
Original post by JordanL_
I don't understand how "life experience" makes you more qualified to make technical decisions. Do you think you're qualified to tell NASA how to get to Mars because you have life experience?

Economists aren't scientists; they forecast.
Economists are also people, and people are open to agendas, bias/prejudice etc. etc.
Economists have been wrong... a certain year of 2008 comes to mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its your future tomorrow people.. its you who if facing unskilled or lower salaried work will be shafted.. its you who wants the security to own or a rent a house that will be shafted..a slave to the wealthy landlords, its you who will feel the biggest effects of the EU as they grow and seize more power, more integration.

Do not say you were not warned or did not understand the ramifications of your vote. Do not complain about rents or house prices... NO GOVERNMENT will build you enough homes to match our growing population and immigration demands... It keeps GDP high and politicians popular with a fancy set of figures...No government will change it to meet 350k a year net migration. You cannot say you were not warned

Choose wisely
(edited 7 years ago)
Stupidity?

Stupid is making a decision based on "facts" that aren't true, when you could check them online in 5 seconds.

Stupid is ignoring everyone of any significance on the planet, and deciding that you know better.

Stupid is criticising economic research based on the principles of researchers, and then telling us how Boris ****ing Johnson is going to save the NHS.

Stupid is thinking that we'll thrive outside the EU now because we did okay before the EU 40 years ago.

PRSOM.

The older generation have created enough problems for us as it is, even without this Brexit nonsense. I'm genuinely afraid for our future if people vote Leave tomorrow.
(edited 7 years ago)
Better add Betelgeuse to the suicide watch list too :rofl:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
All those Leavers who care so much about democracy (honest) denied people your age the vote. They don't believe people your age can be mature enough to be able to have a valid opinion on this matter. So why should I listen to you?

So tough luck. I'm going to be voting remain tomorrow and since I am of voting age my opinion is worthy to be voiced, yours isn't. :eviltongue:

Let this be your first lesson on politics. :giggle:

Evil. :mwuaha:

Original post by Rover73
Well youre not gonna win any votes by calling people stupid......

Just tell the truth.

Cameron said We will use a Remain vote to push for further reform!

Corbyn said The EU needs to change if the UK stays!

Juncker replied There will be no further renegotiation of Britain’s relationship with the EU after the referendum.

The End.

Quoting so more can see. :smile:
Nice summary of quotes.

It's nothing to do with being clever. Economics is a science. Unless you've actually studied it, you don't know any more about it now than you knew at 10 years old. "Life experience" doesn't give you some innate knowledge of technical subjects. If anything, you'd think life experience would teach people to understand when they don't know enough about something to form an opinion, and to defer to people that actually study these things, but apparently not.

There's nothing wrong with trying to get people to listen to people who know things. The opposite, dismissing qualified opinions, is arrogant and stupid.

Economics is not a science!
No, this is sth I'm not tolerating.

I'm not diminishing economics as a subject, because I don't "sciences" on a pedestal, but this is just wrong.

And experience does give you an understanding of the subject. Not all rounded certainly, as you need to have quite a bit of experience, and you'd have to do extra research, but it's not worthless by any means.

Original post by cookie123456789
But it's people my age who will be effected by this decision the most!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am going to go and sulk in the corner now.

It wouldn't do leave any good to lower the voting age; more young people want to remain.

And 18 is a fine age; I'm 17, I can't, but I'm God-damn glad other 16 and 17 year olds can't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WBZ144
PRSOM.

The older generation have created enough problems for us as it is, even without this Brexit nonsense. I'm genuinely afraid for our future if people vote Leave tomorrow.

Give me your arguments please...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by XcitingStuart
Give me your arguments please...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am exhausted from repeating them every time I discuss the referendum but they mostly boil down to trade, employment and travel opportunities with the numerous other privileges and protections that come with being a member of the EU.
Original post by DorianGrayism
The reality is that young people tend to be less racist. So they are less worried about immigration which is the most important factor in the debate.

concern for immigration =/= racist

Yes, it can be for racist reasons, but it's not a necessity.

(Just in case you hold that sentiment.)

The EEA is exactly the same as the EU, except EEA countries don't get a vote.

They still pay and have freedom of movement.

Mate, it is one day before the referendum. You should really know this.

Remind me to get back to this.

Original post by Shostakovish
Already voted to remain.

Why?

Original post by caitlinford3
Has noone here seen the video of Boris Johnson not so long ago saying if there were ever to be a referendum he would vote remain?

(In case you hold this sentiment) Boris Johnson isn't all there is to the leave campaign and the leave camp, and their arguments.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by XcitingStuart
concern for immigration =/= racist

Yes, it can be for racist reasons, but it's not a necessity.

(Just in case you hold that sentiment.)

I think various polls have shown older generations to be less accepting ethnic minorities and etc. That is why immigration is a bigger factor in their decision.
I think various polls have shown older generations to be less accepting ethnic minorities and etc. That is why immigration is a bigger factor in their decision.

(I just made that post in case you extrapolated that to everyone who has those concerns. :smile:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending