The Student Room Group

Foundations for South Asian skin tones

Hey everyone!

I'd like to buy a new foundation since my current one is too dark for my skin tone.

What brands do you recommend I should go for? I'm thinking MAC but I'm open to all others too.

Is liquid foundation better or mineral? I personally don't have a problem with either

What has worked for you? Let me know :biggrin:

EDIT: I have a warm undertone, so I need foundations that would have this
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

MAC doesn't work for my skin, might work for you though. Go into MAC and try on a foundation, see if you like it.

What's your budget?
You looking for a matte finish or a dewy one?

Liquid foundation has a lot more coverage, I'd personally go for that one over a powder foundation. Or both if its summer. :tongue:
i use liquid foundation but then i dont use a lot
my first ever foundation was Loreal "nurti lift gold"

Spoiler

and the one i am having currently is maybelline's foundation "dream satin liquid" 21 nude something like that :lol: dont even know which foundation is perfect for my skin tone :erm:

Spoiler

and to top everything up, i use a clinique's compact powder

Spoiler

thats all i use :redface: but then i dont put too much of it because it doesnt suits me- i just apply very littler amount just to make it one tone skin colour :unsure:
hope that kinda helps :biggrin:
Original post by undercxver
MAC doesn't work for my skin, might work for you though. Go into MAC and try on a foundation, see if you like it.

What's your budget?

Liquid foundation has a lot more coverage, I'd personally go for that one over a powder foundation. Or both if its summer. :tongue:

Oh, what brand do you use?

Ideally anything under £50, and matte finish.

Okay, that sounds good. Thank you so much for replying :biggrin:

Ramadan Kareem :hugs:

EDIT: PRSOM :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fatima1998
i use liquid foundation but then i dont use a lot
my first ever foundation was Loreal "nurti lift gold"

Spoiler

and the one i am having currently is maybelline's foundation "dream satin liquid" 21 nude something like that :lol: dont even know which foundation is perfect for my skin tone :erm:

Spoiler

and to top everything up, i use a clinique's compact powder

Spoiler

thats all i use :redface: but then i dont put too much of it because it doesnt suits me- i just apply very littler amount just to make it one tone skin colour :unsure:
hope that kinda helps :biggrin:

Thank you for replying, Ramadan Kareem :hugs:
Original post by Eternalflames
Thank you for replying, Ramadan Kareem :hugs:

Np :h: x
Ramadan kareem :lol: 15 more to go :woo:
:hugs: x
Hey,

I used to use Mac studio fix fluid, it's really good and process medium to thick coverage, but it often caused breakouts as I have oily skin. But i would recommend you try it, or at least go into selfridges Mac counter and test whether you like the consistency of it, it's really thick and a matte finish too.

They have so many shades so there's bound to be one that matches perfectly for you, since you have warm undertones you'll probably be a NC shade. As NW shades are for people with pink undertones.

I currently use Nars Sheer Glow foundation and I also recommend that, as its lightweight and you barely feel it - I don't really have any scars or anything major blemishes, I do have dark circles and only wear makeup to look more alive lol.

Also if you go go into selfridges or boots then make sure you check out Estée Lauder double wear foundation it's matte finish and I think it lasts for like 12 hours or something. I have a sample of Estée Lauder foundation and it provides medium to thick coverage and its matte - also I think it's best selling foundation of 2016.

Let me know how you get on
Hey everyone!

I'd like to buy a new foundation since my current one is too dark for my skin tone.

What brands do you recommend I should go for? I'm thinking MAC but I'm open to all others too.

Is liquid foundation better or mineral? I personally don't have a problem with either

I'm so flattered to be tagged and idk why, haha!
I've tried like every major brand out there over the years and it really depends on your skin type!
Don't trust the foundations that say they cater for every skin type. Dryer skin needs oilier foundations the same way oily skin needs something that prevents shine and dries up.
I'd recommend No7's matte liquid foundations e.g. Stay Perfect - great value for money, don't need much and the coverage is nice!
Another one I love is The Body Shop's Extra Virgin Mineral liquid foundation. It applies really well and smells lovely - doesn't have that horrible cakey foundation smell.

Edit: these are the cheaper options, btw! I've never tried MAC or any pricier brands so I'm not sure about them, sorry!
Reply 8
I'm sorry for asking my own question here, but I really need to get a foundation and concealer match but I find beauty counters far too intimidating. They just aren't approachable at all in department stores and I feel too judged. I've wasted hundreds on the wrong shades.

Any advice?
Original post by undercxver

What's your budget?

As a guy, all I know is that girls use mascara, eye shadow & foundation.
Am I missing anything else thats in a girls arsenal aka her purse?. :laugh:
Lol why do people use foundation?
Original post by XxKingSniprxX

More likely to be eyeliner than eyeshadow ngl
Oh, what brand do you use?

Ideally anything under £50, and matte finish.

Okay, that sounds good. Thank you so much for replying :biggrin:

EDIT: PRSOM :smile:

I don't wear foundation on a daily basis. But if I do choose to wear it then I wear Maybelline Dream Satin Liquid Foundation, for special occasions I wear Creme de La Mer which is on the pricey side.

Other than that I have tried No.7 tinted moisturiser; I wore some weird colour which wasn't even my skin tone. :lol: Hard to find your skin shade but gave slight coverage, I think it would be a good everyday one if you get the right tone since its so light weight. I tried E.L.F concealer as a foundation, it was pretty much the same thing as the light foundation so why not. :tongue: Thats a decent price for a high quality product but it has a dewy skin finish. Maybelline Fit Me foundation (matte) sounds the best for you if you want medium to high coverage, its a reasonable price too.

Thank you, and Ramadan Kareem to you too eventhough you don't celebrate it. :lol:

:hugs:

Well done, thats a lot for a guy to know. :rofl:

Lipstick, eyeliner, concealer, contour, highlighter, blush. There's too many to list. Personally I don't keep all that, I just stick to some mascara and lipstick if I have to. :h:
Original post by Mochassassin
I'm so flattered to be tagged and idk why, haha!
I've tried like every major brand out there over the years and it really depends on your skin type!
Don't trust the foundations that say they cater for every skin type. Dryer skin needs oilier foundations the same way oily skin needs something that prevents shine and dries up.
I'd recommend No7's matte liquid foundations e.g. Stay Perfect - great value for money, don't need much and the coverage is nice!
Another one I love is The Body Shop's Extra Virgin Mineral liquid foundation. It applies really well and smells lovely - doesn't have that horrible cakey foundation smell.

Edit: these are the cheaper options, btw! I've never tried MAC or any pricier brands so I'm not sure about them, sorry!

Thank you so much for replying! And thank you for the suggestions :smile:

Spoiler

Original post by sh9
I'm sorry for asking my own question here, but I really need to get a foundation and concealer match but I find beauty counters far too intimidating. They just aren't approachable at all in department stores and I feel too judged. I've wasted hundreds on the wrong shades.

Any advice?

You can order tester pots online, find one that suits you and then buy that online.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by alkaline.
More likely to be eyeliner than eyeshadow ngl

well as a guy how am I supposed to know? :rofl:
Reply 15
Original post by sh9

Any advice?

Have you tried the No. 7 counter at Boots? I know it's still a beauty counter but obviously Boots is much smaller than a big department store and a lot less intimidating in my experience! (I asked for help with lipstick and the lady was really nice. You can also just buy their products off the shelf without having to talk!) They have a special little hand-held machine that is supposed to match your skin to foundation, concealer and even lipstick. It's a lot cheaper too so you won't be wasting loads of money. I haven't tried the machine yet but I'm going to before I go on holiday. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Hey everyone!

I've tried lots of different foundations! I don't wear make-up every day and I probably have sensitive combination skin (dry in places with a bit of a t-zone)

I used to use Maybelline Super Stay Better Skin which was a really nice consistency and didn't cause breakouts but the colour wasn't quite right. (I should point out I'm usually the palest shade going so only weighing in on consistency/coverage! :smile:) I've tried a couple of other Maybelline liquid foundations and I think they're all pretty similar.

I have tried MAC Studio Fix and I did like it. :smile: It lasted me ages because it's so thick and gives really good coverage so you don't need much. MAC are also pretty good at making shades for different undertones so you can get a good match. My only criticism was that it would cause me blemishes sometimes.

At the moment I'm using Clinique anti-blemish foundation and I think I prefer it. You still get really nice coverage but it's not as heavy on your skin, plus it has anti-spot things in it (I can't remember what!) so it doesn't cause me to breakout.

I think I'm going to try No. 7 next as an everyday option then something like MAC or Clinique for special occasions. :smile:

Hope this helps!
If I'm honest I have no idea, thanks for the tag though :tongue:

I haven't worn make up in a few years.

I do know what doesn't work for my skin though...if that helps you out.

The thing about my skin is that is has a slight unevenness to it, like under my eyes and around my mouth. I know that a lot of south asian girls have this so I find it difficult to find one foundation, I think (when I bother to go find some) I will be buying 2-3 shades and then learn to blend them together. I have seen people do that and it works for them.

Anyway, what didn't work for me was the L'oreal true match (too thin and shimmery):redface:, the Estee lauder double wear (Far too thick, looked orange/ yellowy on my skin), Mac didn't work when I someone tried it on me (Looked orangey/grey), No 7 (looked grey)

Others haven't really worked in the past because I can't really find the correct shade or the correct consistency.

My point is, if you struggle to find one foundation colour then perhaps buy 2 and learn to blend them.

Also, I just don't think liquid foundations work for me :frown:
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
If I'm honest I have no idea, thanks for the tag though :tongue:

I haven't worn make up in a few years.

I do know what doesn't work for my skin though...if that helps you out.

The thing about my skin is that is has a slight unevenness to it, like under my eyes and around my mouth. I know that a lot of south asian girls have this so I find it difficult to find one foundation, I think (when I bother to go find some) I will be buying 2-3 shades and then learn to blend them together. I have seen people do that and it works for them.

Anyway, what didn't work for me was the L'oreal true match (too thin and shimmery):redface:, the Estee lauder double wear (Far too thick, looked orange/ yellowy on my skin), Mac didn't work when I someone tried it on me (Looked orangey/grey), No 7 (looked grey)

Others haven't really worked in the past because I can't really find the correct shade or the correct consistency.

My point is, if you struggle to find one foundation colour then perhaps buy 2 and learn to blend them.

Also, I just don't think liquid foundations work for me :frown:

Thank you for replying :biggrin:

Yeah I think I'll do this, get a few tester pots first and blend them. Then buy the ones that had the skin tone.

Have you tried mineral powder foundation?
well as a guy how am I supposed to know? :rofl:

Most guys don't know, but it was my dad who taught me how to do my make up :lol:

He made a short film ages ago and worked with a make up artist, so he found out there

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending