The Student Room Group

Is anyone here planning on moving to Ireland if

the "Brexit" happens? Or another EU country?

I ask this because I have heard of professionals ma king plans to move abroad if it happens, and how graduates have recently been leaving in droves. I have spoken to family and friends and they're all worried that the country may cut off its nose to spite its face. Some plan on moving as well.

Scroll to see replies

Might consider it, Ireland seems like a much nicer country. I won't go out of my way to go there though, since I'm still at uni and, while Brexit will most likely screw us over, it won't be life-changingly bad for the most part. I guess if we leave I'll just sit back and watch as the nationalist high gradually wears off and people start to say "sh*t, we've screwed ourselves over haven't we?" (I give it 2 weeks for that to start happening, if we vote to leave).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TimGB
Might consider it, Ireland seems like a much nicer country. I won't go out of my way to go there though, since I'm still at uni and, while Brexit will most likely screw us over, it won't be life-changingly bad for the most part. I guess if we leave I'll just sit back and watch as the nationalist high gradually wears off and people start to say "sh*t, we've screwed ourselves over haven't we?" (I give it 2 weeks for that to start happening, if we vote to leave).

Doubt it. It's far more likely they'll conclude that the elites are punishing us for leaving the EU, and then they'll start asking for another referendum over some equally stupid ****.

I'd like to leave the UK right now. If I don't get the grades for uni then I'll probably apply for somewhere elsewhere in the EU (Germany maybe) and move away next year.
No, but if they win the euros I may consider it
Original post by JordanL_
Doubt it. It's far more likely they'll conclude that the elites are punishing us for leaving the EU, and then they'll start asking for another referendum over some equally stupid ****.

I'd like to leave the UK right now. If I don't get the grades for uni then I'll probably apply for somewhere elsewhere in the EU (Germany maybe) and move away next year.

I see what you're saying, but to win the leave campaign needs to temporarily fool some rational people into voting leave - people who will realise their mistake once the campaign is over. I don't believe there are enough brexiteers that would act in the manner you described to have a significant impact. That said I'm predicting Remain will win, but if leave do win then I think a lot of them will regret the decision later.
You make it sound like the Brain Drain that occured in Eastern Europe during the beginning of the Cold War.

We're screwed.
Original post by WBZ144
the "Brexit" happens? Or another EU country?

I ask this because I have heard of professionals ma king plans to move abroad if it happens, and how graduates have recently been leaving in droves. I have spoken to family and friends and they're all worried that the country may cut off its nose to spite its face. Some plan on moving as well.

I will get dual citizenship with Italy so I can stay in the EU.
Brexit isn't going to happen, it really isn't
Nope, gonna stay in England and enjoy our democracy and our freedom.
Original post by JordanL_

Best of luck! A French friend was telling about all the education opportunities she and other French students have available, she was shocked to know how much debt I was in. The people who want to vote Leave are mainly the same people who want to increase the fees even more and make it harder for the less privileged to better themselves. There is a lot of selfishness in their campaign, as well as hatred. Some of the people voting Leave are even misinformed into thinking that the elite in charge of the campaign actually care about them and are looking to make things easier.
Original post by Naveed-7

In what way is there more democracy and freedom without the EU? Are our lawmakers democratically elected? Did the UK enthusiastically agree to certain worker's rights such as holiday pay or was this implemented because we are an EU member state?
The issue with Ireland is that a huge proportion of their trade comes from the UK. Any slowdown in the UK economy from Brexit will affect Ireland.

Having said that, Ireland is a great country and I think the long term prospects in a Brexit are excellent because it will be only English speaking nation left in the EU.
Original post by IFoundWonderland
You make it sound like the Brain Drain that occured in Eastern Europe during the beginning of the Cold War.

We're screwed.

I'm not sure what the extent of it will be but their are certainly educated professionals who are starting to feel that they have better prospects elsewhere. I can understand why though; it's worrying.
To be honest stay or leave I was planning on renouncing my British citizenship and moving overseas anyways. But if the UK does leave I'll be vexed because it'll be that much harder for me to find a job somewhere else in Europe and apply for citizenship there
Original post by Naveed-7

Remain camp hates freedom and democracy!
Original post by Blondie987
Brexit isn't going to happen, it really isn't

It could. Remember all those right-wingers who have been ignored and oppressed for the last 30 years by cultural marxists.
Reply 16
Ever been to Ireland? it's like Liverpool but a country.
Not a bad thing like but it's not everyone's thing. It's a long shot from Manchester and London though.

I reckon people are falsely scared, we won't exit the EU imo, we're a sane country (I hope).
Besides, in the event of an exit, it won't be that bad at least until we've negotiated how the exit's going to work, we won't have exited by the end of the week let's be serious. There'll be a few years of negotiation and then we'll leave.
Original post by alexschmalex
To be honest stay or leave I was planning on renouncing my British citizenship and moving overseas anyways. But if the UK does leave I'll be vexed because it'll be that much harder for me to find a job somewhere else in Europe and apply for citizenship there

why
Original post by illegaltobepoor
It could. Remember all those right-wingers who have been ignored and oppressed for the last 30 years by cultural marxists.

Nah, it won't
Original post by illegaltobepoor
Remain camp hates freedom and democracy!

No we just care about people's jobs and livelihoods a lot more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending