The Student Room Group

Is retaking A-level maths worth it for a maths degree ?

So from the start of sixth form my plan was to do a maths degree but now I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get an A in Maths which is a must for basically every maths degree.
Should I retake A-level maths to try and get an A or will unis ( I'm talking Russel groups ) look down on this ?
I have an A in AS further maths if that helps ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fefssdf
So from the start of sixth form my plan was to do a maths degree but now I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get an A in Maths which is a must for basically every maths degree.
Should I retake A-level maths to try and get an A or will unis ( I'm talking Russel groups ) look down on this ?

Some might look down upon re-taking an A-Level but if our seriously committed to getting a maths degree then go for it!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Shazen
Some might look down upon re-taking an A-Level but if our seriously committed to getting a maths degree then go for it!

thanks and yes I am because this is the only subject I feel like I could study for another 3 years
Most places will want you to have further maths too. QMUL will take without if you have A* in maths.
Original post by fefssdf

The unis at the upper end will want an A* in maths, A*-A in Further maths, maybe some STEP as well.

I would say look at the unis your interested in, look at their entry requirements and decide from there.

Or alternatively, if you want to study maths, resit things to try for an A-A* in Maths and do A2 Further Maths as well.

Also, please do a bit more research into maths at uni - I had the same mentality of 'it's the only thing I can study at uni, pretty much' and whilst it was correct and I wouldn't really choose anything else, personally I haven't really enjoyed a lot of what you have to study.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by SeanFM
The unis at the upper end will want an A* in maths, A*-A in Further maths, maybe some STEP as well.

I would say look at the unis your interested in, look at their entry requirements and decide from there.

Or alternatively, if you want to study maths, resit things to try for an A-A* in Maths and do A2 Further Maths as well.

Also, please do a bit more research into maths at uni - I had the same mentality of 'it's the only thing I can study at uni, pretty much' and whilst it was correct and I wouldn't really choose anything else, personally I haven't really enjoyed a lot of what you have to study.

I have done research - I've looked into modules, been to sample lectureds ext and friend of mine does maths at warwick so I know more than most .
For the unis I'm looking at, I need AAA and I'm not considering anywhere that wants step either ...
Reply 6
Original post by physicsphysics91
Most places will want you to have further maths too. QMUL will take without if you have A* in maths.

I'm looking at mid range russel groups and they both just say it is an advantage and you don't have to do it - also my school doesn't teach further maths which makes it more complicated
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fefssdf
I have done research - I've looked into modules, been to sample lectureds ext and friend of mine does maths at warwick so I know more than most .
For the unis I'm looking at, I need AAA and I'm not considering anywhere that wants step either ...

Okey dokey - that's fine.

If they want AAA then I suppose one of those A's would have to be a Maths (that, or you offer 3 other A-levels :lol:) so yeah, resit, go for it. Do A2 FM - you might as well, and it'll probably help/give you a slight advantage when it comes to actually studying.
Reply 8
Original post by SeanFM
Okey dokey - that's fine.

If they want AAA then I suppose one of those A's would have to be a Maths (that, or you offer 3 other A-levels :lol:) so yeah, resit, go for it. Do A2 FM - you might as well, and it'll probably help/give you a slight advantage when it comes to actually studying.

Hopefuly I will get A*AB this year so that should make my application look a bit more promising - do you know if places like grammars allow students to come and take just one subject because the only sixth forms near me that teach further maths are grammar schools...
Original post by fefssdf

You should probably retake C3/C4 to get an A*.

Getting an A* in A2 further maths is very hard but getting an A shouldnt be too hard if you really want to pursue a degree.
Original post by fefssdf
I'm looking at mid range russel groups and they both just say it is an advantage and you don't have to do it - also my school doesn't teach further maths which makes it more complicated

Wooot?
Your school doesnt teach FM?

Im gutted that I cant do Additional FM nevermind that.
Maths is the only subject I can do.

Plus the fact that WJEC only offe further maths.

Edexcel offer an individual maths a level maths qualification AEA if you want to enter that.
Reply 11
Original post by Maths is Life
You should probably retake C3/C4 to get an A*.

Getting an A* in A2 further maths is very hard but getting an A shouldnt be too hard if you really want to pursue a degree.

Yeh thats what I want to do. I'm so annoyed as I've just looked at the model answers for c3 and I made some really really stupid mistakes, but I am very confident with the content so feel I could get an A*. My predicted grade is actually an A* for maths oops
Reply 12
Wooot?
Your school doesnt teach FM?

Im gutted that I cant do Additional FM nevermind that.
Maths is the only subject I can do.

Plus the fact that WJEC only offe further maths.

Edexcel offer an individual maths a level maths qualification AEA if you want to enter that.

yep thy don't teach it. Last year I had to self- teach AS further maths and this year I had to self teach S2 because my school doesn't teach that either as everyone else is doing S1/D1 which i already did.

I've just emailed two schools that do offer further maths basically begging them to let me come to the lessons next year.... but they're both grammars so they're probably gonna just tell me to get stuffed.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fefssdf

I dont know much but I knoe that STEP may be stressful but if you get a 1 that gives you a serious advantage. However only cambridge and warwick want these.

Who does 3 STEPs though?? 😂😂so stressful
Reply 14
I dont know much but I knoe that STEP may be stressful but if you get a 1 that gives you a serious advantage. However only cambridge and warwick want these.

Who does 3 STEPs though?? 😂😂so stressful

yeh I'm definitely not going to do STEP as I know I am not that good at maths ... I only got an A in AS further maths by 1 mark , and I hate mechanics with a passion
Original post by fefssdf
yeh I'm definitely not going to do STEP as I know I am not that good at maths ... I only got an A in AS further maths by 1 mark , and I hate mechanics with a passion

M8.
You need to stop saying that you hate mechanics and work at it to the best of your ability.

M2 shouldnt be too hard as its just differentiation...

AND STEP is supposed to be hard from what Ive heard.

Grade 2 still says that youre a flippin genius
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
M8.
You need to stop saying that you hate mechanics and work at it to the best of your ability.

no honestly, I got 87 ums in m1 but i didn't understand the questions i just learnt methods..
Original post by fefssdf
no honestly, I got 87 ums in m1 but i didn't understand the questions i just learnt methods..

Same M1 was my best graded paper when I was just doing Maths at 84UMS

I am a resitter however I am confident I can get into a russell group even with crappy GCSEs.

This year though Im still not confident I have 100UMS in mechanics.
Original post by fefssdf

if you really really wanna do maths, why not doing further maths on your own?.... that would be the commitment
even if your school doesn't provide it, you can go to a second school as a part time student; your school is supposed to help you in finding one (this is what i've done personally)
M8.

AND STEP is supposed to be hard from what Ive heard.

Grade 2 still says that youre a flippin genius

M2 is a slightly bit more than differentiation. Are we talking about the same module? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest