The Student Room Group

The immense stupidity of the young idealistic Remain vote

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dnkz7
Elaborate, I don't understand what you mean by that.

I mean that the proportion of British overseas trade that is with the EU is shrinking. Trade with the rest of the world is growing.

On balance we export to the non-EU countries and import from the EU.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 201
Original post by Good bloke
I mean that the proportion of British overseas trade that is with the EU is shrinking. Trade with the rest of the world is growing.

The US biggest trade partner is Canada, we are no where near as influential as Canada. This is a coincidence, considering we are in Europe why don't we just stick to trading with what we know - Europeans as we are Europeans!
Original post by AnnieGakusei
Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes. Speaking as an 18-year-old school leaver, you have no idea how many times I've been childishly insulted by my classmates regarding this whole EU referendum thing. "Oh, you wanna vote Leave? What are you, a racist?" "Well Leave supporters are just stupid" (two actual quotes there, with no accompanying facts to back them up which renders them pretty much meaningless). Add to that the fact I never even confirmed my inclinations - I was merely playing devil's advocate for the other side - and it just makes my generation seem incredibly immature. "Disowning" a friend simply because they voted differently from you? Yeah, right. Grow up.

I don't have a problem with people who think differently, nor am I biased in favour of those who think the same way. In fact, one of the people I get most annoyed with is a girl in my year who's voting Leave tomorrow just because her father is. What makes me furious is when young people are blind to argument and resort to ad hominems to "win" their case. I fence-sat for ages, swinging from one position to the other, before I actually came up with my own decision, yet it feels to me that everyone else is voting Remain because it's "cool" to do so.

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm only just 18 and glad to be finally exercising my democratic right, I'd be advocating an increase in the voting age to 21. Having experienced what some young people are like, there is absolutely no way I would ever support a lowering of the voting age to 16.

PRSOM, I could not agree more.
There is this utter **** who shares links from sites such as the Huffington Post (sigh..) and makes brash and completely pointless statements such as "If you vote leave you're an idiot" - it is SO counterproductive.
He has nothing to back his statements up, it's pathetic.
Original post by fr0sr_
PRSOM, I could not agree more.
There is this utter **** who shares links from sites such as the Huffington Post (sigh..) and makes brash and completely pointless statements such as "If you vote leave you're an idiot" - it is SO counterproductive.
He has nothing to back his statements up, it's pathetic.

Yes! And same with some of the Leave voters criticising those who vote Remain.

Mature discussion is fine. Empty and emotive statements / insults are not.
Original post by Dnkz7
we are no where near as influential as Canada.

Eh? Canada is more influential than the UK? What are you smoking? How big is Canada's population and economy compared to the UK's? Does Canada have a permanent security council seat and a veto?
"today is our independance day!"
Reply 206
Eh? Canada is more influential than the UK? What are you smoking? How big is Canada's population and economy compared to the UK's? Does Canada have a permanent security council seat and a veto?

... - https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/statistics/highlights/top/top1312yr.html
Just published!

The UK population increased by half a million last year:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36605899

This goes on year after year.

More misery for those who will be looking for a home soon.
Regardless of the wider merits of Leave/Remain, the argument in the OP is a particularly bad argument for Remain.

You seem to be answering a different debate. I asked about Canada's size and influence, not its level trade with the wholly irrelevant USA.
Reply 210
You seem to be answering a different debate. I asked about Canada's size and influence, not its level trade with the wholly irrelevant USA.

Geographically, they are closer than we are therefore trade is easier. This is further supported by the evidence I presented.

UK is a global powerhouse, but that doesn't mean we trade more than Canada with the US. Therefore we should remain in Europe and trade with what we know without making things look embarrassing.
Original post by Dnkz7
Geographically, they are closer than we are therefore trade is easier. This is further supported by the evidence I presented.

UK is a global powerhouse, but that doesn't mean we trade more than Canada with the US. Therefore we should remain in Europe and trade with what we know without making things look embarrassing.

What has our level of trade with Canada got to do with this at all?

In fact, we are the third largest exporter to Canada (beaten only by USA and China, quadruple Germany), and our trade with Canada exceeds our trade with almost all EU countries.
Reply 212
What has our level of trade with Canada got to do with this at all?

In fact, we are the third largest exporter to Canada (beaten only by USA and China, quadruple Germany), and our trade with Canada exceeds our trade with almost all EU countries.

Canada is probably one of the biggest trade partners we have, although they are higher in the ranking than we are. Most of the other EU countries are smaller so are not as competitive as we are. You can't compare us to them, however you can with Canada - they play an influential role in trading with the US than we do because of the proximity of the geographical location.
Original post by Dnkz7
You can't compare us to them, however you can with Canada - they play an influential role in trading with the US than we do because of the proximity of the geographical location.

You seem fixated on Canada and its relationship with the USA. It is not relevant.
Reply 214
You seem fixated on Canada and its relationship with the USA. It is not relevant.

It's an example mate, you said we have growing links in international trade.
Original post by Observatory
Regardless of the wider merits of Leave/Remain, the argument in the OP is a particularly bad argument for Remain.

What's particularly bad that they're worried about the economy if we leave?
Original post by Dnkz7
It's an example mate, you said we have growing links in international trade.

And so we do. Britain has steadily turned round a trade deficit with non-EU countries of £4 billion in 1999 to a 2015 surplus of £31 billion. At the same time trade with the EU has inexorably gone from a deficit of £12 billion to a deficit of £68 billion.

Where does our trade future lie?
Original post by JamesN88
What's particularly bad that they're worried about the economy if we leave?

The argument made was that the continent offers a large job market to Britons.

In fact the continent offers a job competitive with the best they would get in the UK to very few Britons. The UK, on the other hand, offers a job competitive with the best they would get in their home country to far more continentals.

This is partly because the UK economy, and particularly the job market, is stronger than the EU average, but mostly because the English language is the lingua franca.
Reply 218
Original post by XcitingStuart
You can't, because you don't know any.
And you can't know any, because there are mostly economic benefits. :smile:

Of course i know. You just choose to ignore.
Original post by XcitingStuart
:for the shits and giggles:Posted from TSR Mobile

You seem a little upset.
Original post by chloejane330
I am 18, and voted Leave as soon as my polling station opened this morning. Since coming into college for my final exam I have been ridiculed. I have no problem respecting people's views voting remain, this is such a big decision for many and there are endless arguments on both sides. So why haven't I received the same respect? I've just been called stupid and racist...

The good news is they will PAY for their ignorance and insolence.. the bad news is so will the rest of us

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending