The Student Room Group

2016 WJEC A2-Level Biology, BY5

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Benji12345
I put metaphase 1 and 2, 800 for the rH and 1% for efficiency:/ no clue about why they were different sizes so just wrote about how the secretions had to get inside a host cell and the capsule needs to protect the virus aha

why what was different sizes, may I ask?
Original post by spinningplates
I put golgi body but wasn't sure tbh, crossed out rough endoplasmic reticulum originally

Original post by Faisalshamallakh
Final Modification for a glycoprotein was the Golgi Bodies

Yay cool I put Golgi body too.

Is it not the ribosomes, because they bind to the RNA of the virus and construct a polypeptide chain? May have read the question wrong though!
Also I got 0.5555... so rounded 0.56%, hope 2s.f. was ok I don't think rounding to 1 would be a good idea, you're losing a lot of accuracy going from .55555... to 1 aren't you. almost 2x actual value and when would you ever round to 1 s.f. in a science exam?
Original post by matt1997x
Is it not the ribosomes, because they bind to the RNA of the virus and construct a polypeptide chain? May have read the question wrong though!

Think you're talking about a different part of the question? There was a question like 'how can ebola make protein without going in the nucleus' and for that one you talk about how the RNA from ebola goes straight to the ribosomes and gets translated.
But there was another question for 1 mark like 'where are the final modifications done to the protein' (something like that) and for that one you have to say Golgi body additional folding & modification etc
Original post by k.russell
Also I got 0.5555... so rounded 0.56%, hope 2s.f. was ok I don't think rounding to 1 would be a good idea, you're losing a lot of accuracy going from .55555... to 1 aren't you. almost 2x actual value and when would you ever round to 1 s.f. in a science exam?

No you're wrong sorry. Photosynthetic efficiency is the amount of light energy that is converted to chemical. So you put all the energy losses divided by the total light energy absorbed. Gives you 1, no one else was rounding up from 0.5555
What did everyone put for the differences in oogenesis and spermatogenesis on the essay?

Pretty sure it was the Ribosomes - they produce the amino acid sequence for the protein and that is what the question asked for.
Think you're talking about a different part of the question? There was a question like 'how can ebola make protein without going in the nucleus' and for that one you talk about how the RNA from ebola goes straight to the ribosomes and gets translated.
But there was another question for 1 mark like 'where are the final modifications done to the protein' (something like that) and for that one you have to say Golgi body additional folding & modification etc

Oh ok ahah! I cant remember that question at all!
Original post by sumeyyatontus
I put about the stop code ??

same, stop codon is removed therefore more amino acids are translated than normal
No you're wrong sorry. Photosynthetic efficiency is the amount of light energy that is converted to chemical. So you put all the energy losses divided by the total light energy absorbed. Gives you 1, no one else was rounding up from 0.5555

hmm perhaps I was dividing the herbivore consumption by the sunlight
I do understand the calculation but maybe I have used wrong numbers, ah well!
Draw the membrane a virus could pass through or something..I drew a phospholipid bilayer with a transmembrane protein spanning across the bilayer but I didn't know, what did you guys get?
What did everyone put for the differences in oogenesis and spermatogenesis on the essay?

In oogenesis polar bodies get formed, meiosis occurs with halts, parts of oogenesis are triggered by hormones and occur once a month, potentially one more? Not really sure
hmm perhaps I was dividing the herbivore consumption by the sunlight
I do understand the calculation but maybe I have used wrong numbers, ah well!

Didnt me for my original to make me sound like a d***. Dont worry it's only a couple of marks. You'll probably still get 1 mark or something
Original post by ForeverAStudent1
Guys what did you get for the photosynthetic efficiency calculation question?

I got 0.5 recurring. Will i get 2 marks for that and the working out? Some people got 1% so im not sure if we had to round it

can you remember if you divided by the right number? I am a bit worried I've divided by the wrong one and I got the answer as you (apparently they where not rounding, but their exact answer was 1)
Did any of you have the foggiest about that peat bog? that was deffo the joker in the pack right.. never gonna get a WJEC bio exams without some seriously BS question and that was it imo lol
I put it would increase it, because the acid might aid with the breakdown of polymers like proteins and starch etc

I described spermatogenisis but then I didn't know how say the differences so just wrote the process of oogenisis and said a few differences after it like polar bodies produced.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did any of you have the foggiest about that peat bog? that was deffo the joker in the pack right.. never gonna get a WJEC bio exams without some seriously BS question and that was it imo lol
I put it would increase it, because the acid might aid with the breakdown of polymers like proteins and starch etc

I said something about optimum pH didn't have a clue about those 2 questions on that bog bs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Didnt me for my original to make me sound like a d***. Dont worry it's only a couple of marks. You'll probably still get 1 mark or something

lol np mate, never gonna go through a biology exam with 80/80, never need to either lol as it will probs be high 60's ish for 120 ums anyway
The overall exam was a bit tricky with a lot of human interferences with the environment. I reckon it was harder than last year's papers so hopefully grade boundaries will be slightly lower

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending