The Student Room Group

Is anyone here planning on moving to Ireland if

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Several
I think she meant to say it's the LIBERAL public interest.

Would you say that jailing a Muslim for saying "all British soldiers should go to Hell" was in so called "Liberal public interest"? It was a case of public interest nonetheless.
Reply 41
Original post by WBZ144
Would you say that jailing a Muslim for saying "all British soldiers should go to Hell" was in so called "Liberal public interest"? It was a case of public interest nonetheless.

So do you agree that people who say things like that deserve jail time?
Original post by joecphillips
How is it in the public interest to jail someone for speech instead of people who put someone's safety at risk?

There a minority of cases in which public interest is used as a reason place limitations on a person. In this case the man had caused enough public outrage that he was no longer safe. It would be difficult to identify all of the people who may have caused him harm and his prison sentence would be enough to ward them off once he is released (or at least most of them).
Original post by Several
So do you agree that people who say things like that deserve jail time?

No, but judges may jail someone for similar reasons under exceptional circumstances if he/she has caused enough public outrage and is in danger as a result. I don't agree with it at all but it's hardly something new.
Reply 44
Original post by alexschmalex
To be honest stay or leave I was planning on renouncing my British citizenship and moving overseas anyways. But if the UK does leave I'll be vexed because it'll be that much harder for me to find a job somewhere else in Europe and apply for citizenship there

Dw, the process of 'leaving' will take at least 2 years and until that point we will still be in the EU and have freedom of movement. If you move there before we officially leave, it's very unlikely that they're gunna send you back.
Original post by DorianGrayism
The issue with Ireland is that a huge proportion of their trade comes from the UK. Any slowdown in the UK economy from Brexit will affect Ireland.

Having said that, Ireland is a great country and I think the long term prospects in a Brexit are excellent because it will be only English speaking nation left in the EU.

When you consider Ireland has low corporate tax rates, I imagine companies would be happy to relocate to Ireland if a Brexit were to happen (bonus being its also an English speaking country), making things look potentially brighter for Ireland.
Original post by IFoundWonderland
You make it sound like the Brain Drain that occured in Eastern Europe during the beginning of the Cold War.

In fact it occurred in the UK during the 1960s and 1970s. The Telegraph (campaigning for Brexit) still reckons it's going on:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/11435529/Britains-brightest-leaving-in-brain-drain-and-replaced-with-low-skilled-migrants.html

But see if their logic makes any sense!?

Many countries, including Scotland and Ireland have a long history of this phenomenon, and have consequently struggled.
(edited 7 years ago)
No, I won't move abroad in the event of a Brexit. But I'm currently in the process of applying for Irish citizenship so I can keep an EU passport. :smile:

To be honest stay or leave I was planning on renouncing my British citizenship and moving overseas anyways. But if the UK does leave I'll be vexed because it'll be that much harder for me to find a job somewhere else in Europe and apply for citizenship there

Why would you renounce your British citizenship? :erm: That's just silly.
Original post by Snufkin
No, I won't move abroad in the event of a Brexit. But I'm currently in the process of applying for Irish citizenship so I can keep an EU passport. :smile:

Why would you renounce your British citizenship? :erm: That's just silly.

Well I've only lived here 3 years of my life (born overseas to Brits) and don't plan on coming back so no need for it imo :smile:
I have French and Arabic under my belt so that should help employment prospects abroad.

The future looks very bleak for young people :frown:
Well I've only lived here 3 years of my life (born overseas to Brits) and don't plan on coming back so no need for it imo :smile:

I don't even blame you now, I'm in despair :cry2:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending