The Student Room Group

Cyclists Society MK2

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BaronK
Lowering your cadence though won't do your lower back any favours.

It will on bumpy roads though, as there will be more pressure being taken by my feet instead of my bum, no?

I'm only talking about when I'm on the flat, I agree grinding on hills wouldn't do me any favours
Reply 181
Original post by Architecture-er
It will on bumpy roads though, as there will be more pressure being taken by my feet instead of my bum, no?

I'm only talking about when I'm on the flat, I agree grinding on hills wouldn't do me any favours

The more you grind though there's more stress on your lower back, and the force is absorbed by one or two pedal strokes instead of three or four. Although I suppose it depends how low is low for you, 80 is about as low as I'll ever go seated.
Original post by BaronK
The more you grind though there's more stress on your lower back, and the force is absorbed by one or two pedal strokes instead of three or four. Although I suppose it depends how low is low for you, 80 is about as low as I'll ever go seated.

Yeah I mean ~80 as opposed to ~100 when the legs are just spinning around.. when I'm that high it just feels like I'm sitting on a saddle that's bouncing around, and that strains my back as it absorbs the shocks... I guess it's like comparing riding a horse without stirrups as opposed to with
Original post by Architecture-er
Yeah I mean ~80 as opposed to ~100 when the legs are just spinning around.. when I'm that high it just feels like I'm sitting on a saddle that's bouncing around, and that strains my back as it absorbs the shocks... I guess it's like comparing riding a horse without stirrups as opposed to with

100rpm isn't all that high. If you're bouncing around at that cadence then your saddle height may be too low. I keep my cadence around 100-105 for flat/rolling terrain. And that analogy is so posh I didn't understand it.
Original post by Roobsa
100rpm isn't all that high. If you're bouncing around at that cadence then your saddle height may be too low. I keep my cadence around 100-105 for flat/rolling terrain. And that analogy is so posh I didn't understand it.

But if I raise my seat height it causes my hips to rock as I pedal and wrecks me even more..! :s-smilie:

Ok, imagine sitting on your bike without putting your feet on the pedals, then go over a rough road haha - that's what I mean. At such high cadences I find it hard to put any force through the pedals, so all the shocks from the road go through my spine
Reply 185
Weird bike part of the day, Shimano combo hydraulic brake/gear shifters, this particular model, Shimano Deore lx st-m585 has a thumb lever to shift down the rear cogs, but to go up, you have to push the brake lever down. It felt so unnatural to all of us in the workshop, and not very easy to not pull the brakes while shifting back up. They're also huge, can't have saved much if any weight over having separate pods.

Anyone live in London? I live about 15 miles from central london, and wanted to do ride around london just kind of exploring the city (nice scenes and roads). How trafficky does it get there?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by I feel myself
Anyone live in London? I live about 15 miles from central london, and wanted to do ride around london just kind of exploring the city (nice scenes and roads). How trafficky does it get there?

It's London. It's very trafficky.

Lived there for 5 years. Some roads are really busy. Some are really quiet. On the whole, if you're sensible you'll be fairly safe. If you're nervous maybe try it reasonably early on a Sunday morning and get an idea for what the roads are like. (like before 10am would generally be quiet).

It's far from a death trap for riding bikes and as long as you don't want to go anywhere very fast it can be quite fun cycling around looking at the sights.
My first road bike is being delivered at some point today, can't wait! So excited!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by myblueheaven339
My first road bike is being delivered at some point today, can't wait! So excited!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are you getting?

--

Does anyone know anything about knee pain? My right leg just above the knee, and part of the knee has been hurting for the past few weeks and I have no idea why. Most stuff that came up on google was about bike fits and cleats but I've been riding the same set up for at least 3 years and i've never had this problem before. Haven't changed my cleats for a good 6 months either. Urggggh.
Original post by Serentonin
What are you getting?

--

Does anyone know anything about knee pain? My right leg just above the knee, and part of the knee has been hurting for the past few weeks and I have no idea why. Most stuff that came up on google was about bike fits and cleats but I've been riding the same set up for at least 3 years and i've never had this problem before. Haven't changed my cleats for a good 6 months either. Urggggh.

Liv (giant) avail 1 disc.

Knee pain could be IT band syndrome which is common in runners but no idea about whether or not it would affect cyclists.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by myblueheaven339
Liv (giant) avail 1 disc.

Knee pain could be IT band syndrome which is common in runners but no idea about whether or not it would affect cyclists.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Let me know what you think, I might consider the male version. Seems pretty nice.
Original post by Serentonin
What are you getting?

--

It might be due muscle tightness. I had tight hip muscles that were pulling my knee out of alignment.
Original post by alexs2602
Let me know what you think, I might consider the male version. Seems pretty nice.

Will do! Has been delayed though due to all the rain and traffic issues so may have to wait a couple of days now :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very trafficky, but it's safe traffic since it's so slow moving compared to cars hurtling around country lanes - just stay off the pentonville ring road and watch out for cars pulling out, and pedestrians walking out from behind buses etc
Original post by BaronK

I fixed my back! Turned out the seat was still marginally too high, so I've dropped it a bit more and it's so much better

Only problem is that my knees/legs are picking up more strain as a result, since pedal strokes are starting from a greater angle.. but that's more a problem with me not having an 11-speed cassette
Reply 197
Not good, I'm hoping aliexpress will still carry it now.
I think my fave bike lock has finally bitten the bullet. Something has slid and the key won't move or come out now. Not sure how it can be fixed or if it can be fixed. Lasted 3 years.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hooray my new bike arrived! Have only had a little ride this evening as the weather has been horrible this weekend but it was so much fun :smile: need to get shoes sorted so I can switch to decent pedals.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest