The Student Room Group

AQA A2 MFP2 Further Pure 2 – 24th June [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by C0balt
Thanks, I see it but how did you spot going from line 3 to 4 without seeing the ms

You just have to try and force a similar expression to the expression you got when you expanded out what they gave you in (ii).
You have to see how you can get a similar expression using values that you know, like α \sum \alpha and αβ \sum \alpha \beta and αβγ \alpha \beta \gamma .
Original post by MrMagic12345
No

And for that question from June 2014 I would just try to memorise that Sum(a^2b)=sum(alpha) x sum(alphabeta)-3alphabetagamma
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-MFP2-W-QP-JUN10.PDF

On question 4(c)(i), how are you supposed to know that alpha = -2???
The mark-scheme just suddenly assumes you already know it. Is it just trial and error or something?
Original post by 2014_GCSE

The mark-scheme just suddenly assumes you already know it. Is it just trial and error or something?

Yeah just trial and error

You've got a quadratic in alpha.. (You just need to put the p value you found in it)
Original post by -jordan-
Yeah just trial and error

Thanks man!

Also, does multiplying sinht by sinht equal -sinh^2t?

I'm confused why the equations have you switch the sign on sinh^2(t).
You've got a quadratic in alpha.. (You just need to put the p value you found in it)

No, you have a cubic with alpha.
Thanks man!

No that's Osborne's rule, because of the way the hyperbolics in expoential form are, it allows you to convert any standard trigonometric identity into the hyperbolic equivalent. When you know sinht has been multiplied by sinht then you put a negative in front of that term in the expression. If you look at the normal identities and then their equivalent hyperbolic counterparts you'll see what I mean.
No, you have a cubic with alpha.

Yeah my bad
Thanks man!

You only use osborne's rule when trying to 'convert' a trig formula describing non-hyperbolic function's into a formula describing hyperbolics
Reply 110
Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 16.15.50.png

can someone show me their working to this question please? i know its probably really simple but the mark scheme is vague
Reply 111
Original post by IrrationalRoot
There's no method to explain, the whole method is shown in two lines to the right on the mark scheme.
If there's something specific you don't understand within it, let me know and I'll explain it.

I don't get where the -2 came from
Reply 112
Original post by Jm098
Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 16.15.50.png

can someone show me their working to this question please? i know its probably really simple but the mark scheme is vague

image.jpg

Then u can do X coordinate + X coordinate /2 to get midpoint etc
Reply 113
Original post by Hjyu1
image.jpg

Then u can do X coordinate + X coordinate /2 to get midpoint etc

thanks! where is the first line from though? have you just set the both mods equal?
Original post by sam_97
This is how I did it:

(α+β)(β+γ)(γ+α)[br]=(α+β)(αβ+βγ+γα+γ2)[br]=α2β+γα2+αβ2+β2γ+βγ2+γ2α+2αβγ[br]=(α+β+γ)(αβ+βγ+γα)3αβγ+2αβγ[br]=(α+β+γ)(αβ+βγ+γα)αβγ[br]=ΣαΣαβαβγ(\alpha + \beta)(\beta + \gamma)(\gamma + \alpha)[br]= (\alpha + \beta)(\alpha\beta + \beta\gamma + \gamma\alpha +\gamma^2)[br]= \alpha^2\beta + \gamma\alpha^2 + \alpha\beta^2 + \beta^2\gamma + \beta\gamma^2 + \gamma^2\alpha + 2\alpha\beta\gamma [br]= (\alpha + \beta + \gamma)(\alpha\beta + \beta\gamma + \gamma\alpha) - 3\alpha\beta\gamma + 2\alpha\beta\gamma[br]= (\alpha + \beta + \gamma)(\alpha\beta + \beta\gamma + \gamma\alpha) - \alpha\beta\gamma[br]= \Sigma\alpha\Sigma\alpha\beta - \alpha\beta\gamma

Expanding the brackets on line 4 gives us an extra 3αβγ3\alpha\beta\gamma which we don't want, hence the 3αβγ-3\alpha\beta\gamma.

I mean, yeah it's very easy to show the equality, but we were wondering how one would recognise the equality in the first place; the method shown to the right in the mark scheme is what I used and makes a lot more intuitive sense.
Original post by Hjyu1
I don't get where the -2 came from

-2 sum of roots.
Reply 116
Original post by Jm098
thanks! where is the first line from though? have you just set the both mods equal?

Yeah just converted to cerstian and which line
Reply 117
Original post by IrrationalRoot
-2 sum of roots.

Ohhhhhhhhhh **** I get it now thanks
Reply 118
Original post by Hjyu1
Yeah just converted to cerstian and which line

(x-4)^2 + (y-2)^2 = x^2 + y^2
You only use osborne's rule when trying to 'convert' a trig formula describing non-hyperbolic function's into a formula describing hyperbolics

Do you convert tanh^2(x) in a formula such as 1 + tan^2(x) = sec^2(x) because doesn't this technically contain a sinh^2(x)?

Sorry, FP2 is an extra voluntarily module so I've kind of ignored it until now and I forget a bunch of small things like this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending