The Student Room Group

Please help me with a voting concern regarding if eligible to vote or not!!!

Hey guys, someone I know has previous moved house, however, hasn't re-registered to vote at their new address... Can they still vote at the area of their old address? (it's about 15 miles away but is in the same county) or is that illegal? I have googled it but it only mentions it being illegal to vote twice or on behalf of someone. Thanks :smile:
Original post by R0ckTillWeDr0p
Hey guys, someone I know has previous moved house, however, hasn't re-registered to vote at their new address... Can they still vote at the area of their old address? (it's about 15 miles away but is in the same county) or is that illegal? I have googled it but it only mentions it being illegal to vote twice or on behalf of someone. Thanks :smile:

depends on how they are voting
Reply 2

If they go to where it says on their polling card there is no problem (although you shouldn't really vote if its not your address)
Original post by cjxmc
If they go to where it says on their polling card there is no problem (although you shouldn't really vote if its not your address)

they haven't got a polling card as assumingly it would've been sent to the old address? :smile:
I think your best bet would be to phone the Electoral Commission and ask them - I think they're the right people to ask, but I could be wrong :biggrin:.
Reply 5
they haven't got a polling card as assumingly it would've been sent to the old address? :smile:

There's no harm in turning up to the polling station (where they would vote at their old address) at seeing if their on the register. If so they can vote, if not then they can't. That's what I think happens although when asked for your address there may be an issue as it won't match.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest