The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Economics Unit 4 (ECON4) June 23rd OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Patrick Gekko
My school seemed to be an even split between 2 and 3, so hopefully the ones doing 3 will bring boundaries down...

Why will doing 3 bring the boundaries down??
Context 1 question 1 anyone get 3.1%
Original post by Edminzodo
I talked about low income tax but also discincentives, unemployment and shocks, I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I spoke about laffer curve and how that an increase in income tax may lead to lower tax revenues therefore increase deficit, spoke about gov spending on welfare during a time of unemployment etc. Drew Ad and laffer curve diagram do you think that will be 15 marks?
Original post by Roses98
Why will doing 3 bring the boundaries down??

Read my above post.. obviously some will have answered it well but I think the majority who tried that question will have got caught up in political arguments which are not relevant
was the calculation on context one 3.1%?
I did Context 2
For Q4 i got 22000 something
For Q5 i spoke about how the increase in growth means for demand for labour which leads to more employment etc.
Then for Q6 i spoke about benefits and drawback of supply side, fiscal and monetary policy. I then gave examples so min wage and expansionary fiscal policy.
I then did Q11 and spoke about tariffs, quotas, red tape and how in unions there no restrictions etc.
For Q12 i spoke about benefits for individuals and firms then drawbacks for them i.e more inequality. And for my judgement i spoke about how it affects the economy so like the £350 million a week the UK pays the Eu

Im not sure if i answered some of the question right and i'd really appreciate it if you gave me some feedback and a rough mark..thanks in advance
Original post by meimaths123

Yeah, but I don't know if that was right.
Reply 227
Original post by Patrick Gekko
I did context B and essay 2.

Maybe I'm being optimistic but I think the boundaries could be lower than normal for that paper. From what I have heard, loads of people chose essay 3 about the EU, mainly because of how relevant it is. I honestly think a lot of people will have just recited all of the arguments they've heard on TV etc. despite a lot of them not being economic arguments, as such. I just looked in the textbook and the diagrams for the EU are, imo, the hardest ones for the whole of econ4, and I am willing to bet that most of the people who chose that essay wouldn't have included them. I'm also doubtful that many would've included things about monetary union and other 'solid' economic arguments, because the 'economic arguments' that we hear on the TV for vote leave/remain are quite different to the ones that AQA want.

At least that's what i'm hoping...

Well I did the eu questions, and talk about trade diversion /creation, increased migration increasing labour supply, and a rise in Fdi hopefully that should be good enough.
Original post by meimaths123

Yeah pretty sure that's right took me a while to get my head round.
upturn in an economic cycle means a recovery... but i wrote boom. UGHHHHH
The 25 marker on eu: wrote about trade creation tradediversion so consumer surplus, immigration leaving workers unemployed, greater consumer choice and innovations from dynamic efficiency as larger market, firms benefit from economies if scale
Original post by Roses98
Yes!! That's it!! At least 5 marks 👍🏽

Which essay did you pick?

Essay 2. :smile: Deflation and inflation is bae.
Reply 232
Context 2, 25 Marker was about demand side vs supply side policies in reducing uk unemployment.
I spoke about min wage, cutting welfare benefits and fiscal policy on training/education, but when talking about min wage and cutting welfare benefits i said they were demand side policies.
Does anyone have any idea how badly this will effect my mark?
cheers
Didnt context 2 10 marker say how would growth in the euro economies reduce unemployment in spain ? So wouldnt the answer be higher growth means more demand for imports so demand for spains exports increases cause export led growth and so reduced unemployment to produce the goods to export
Original post by Hklljg
How did you all approach context 2 25 marker?

Main arguments:

> How supply-side can increase employment + LRAS Graph.
> Eval: Requires AD otherwise it's only potential growth + Showed using production possibility frontier.
> Explained supply-side in the context of structural unemployment --> Because demand-side won't help solve the "mismatch" of skills of workers coming from declining sectors (like the manufacturing sector).
> I evaluated and spoke about the natural rate of unemployment - the economic concept that no matter what happens in the short run, the economy will always return to the NRU in the long run. This could be the case because the UK's level of unemployment was very low and many economists believe we have neared/reached the NRU.

That's what I remember off the top of my head.
Original post by Bigboss27
Didnt context 2 10 marker say how would growth in the euro economies reduce unemployment in spain ? So wouldnt the answer be higher growth means more demand for imports so demand for spains exports increases cause export led growth and so reduced unemployment to produce the goods to export

That would work.

The question just said "how would an upturn in the economic cycle reduce unemployment in Spain" or something like that, so it's pretty much anything that leads to a rise in AD --> Therefore rise in demand for labour --> therefore less unemployment.
Original post by Alextaylor6
was the calculation on context one 3.1%?

Could've sworn I got 2.6% but I probably didn't read the question properly
We had to analyse the graph on the left over the whole period right?
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I did context 1 essay 3.

Did anyone else feel they kept repeating themselves? Like, export opportunities from devaluing currency, export opportunities from free trade in the 15 marker and again in the 25 marker?
Original post by RJM1997
I did context 1 essay 3.

Did anyone else feel they kept repeating themselves? Like, export opportunities from devaluing currency, export opportunities from free trade in the 15 marker and again in the 25 marker?

This.
Original post by jampot98
Could've sworn I got 2.6% but I probably didn't read the question properly
We had to analyse the graph on the left over the whole period right?
Posted from TSR Mobile

It was the graph on the left from the 1st August to 13th August for calculation and then both graphs over whole period for significant point

Quick Reply

Latest