The Student Room Group

A2 OCR Transport Economics F584 2016 (23/06/16)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by daldald
I misread the question on 2B and wrote about transport rather than transport infrastructure..

Any idea on how many marks i can get maximum?

Lack of application assuming your analysis is correct and well developed is the lowest of any level.
Reply 61
Original post by daldald
I misread the question on 2B and wrote about transport rather than transport infrastructure..

Any idea on how many marks i can get maximum?

Not to sure i would say between 13-15 i didnt do this question i did 3a and 3b. what did u write for changes in fares on revenue and economic prosperity
Original post by adriansiuyikto
what did u write for q2 cos i chose this question as well? also, what did u guys write for the 4 marker of change in revenue and vital for prosperity?

********ted my way through the first bit, drew out some diagrams and talked about profit maximising and elasticity etc. Honestly think I did terribly on that, but I'm sure I've seen a past paper somewhere where you got quite a few marks just for drawing the diagram it wanted so who knows :dontknow:

Second part wasn't too bad, did the typical 4 efficiencies and threw in some stuff about airports, toll roads and rail tracks. Felt a bit repetitive of the similar question from section A tbh.

You?

Edit: June 2010 Q2a - 9 marks for drawing a perfectly accurate diagram with no other explanation/analysis. Question was phrased similarly to this years
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by keynes24
Lack of application assuming your analysis is correct and well developed is the lowest of any level.

So about how many marks is that though?
Original post by felecita
********ted my way through the first bit, drew out some diagrams and talked about profit maximising and elasticity etc. Honestly think I did terribly on that, but I'm sure I've seen a past paper somewhere where you got quite a few marks just for drawing the diagram it wanted so who knows :dontknow:

Second part wasn't too bad, did the typical 4 efficiencies and threw in some stuff about airports, toll roads and rail tracks. Felt a bit repetitive of the similar question from section A tbh.

You?

Edit: June 2010 Q2a - 9 marks for drawing a perfectly accurate diagram with no other explanation/analysis. Question was phrased similarly to this years

mentioned network rail as example of infrastructure provider
and talked about efficiencies
but what did u write for judgement?
Reply 65
can i say because of rail privatisation in uk, employment increases leading to econ growth

because rail perceived as inferior mode of transport, ppl do not demand it that much thus not good

I think the main point was about commuting this is the key to linking with why employment increases since more people can reach work and beneficial since its cheaper......
you said due to rail privitisation but how does privitisation actuall to employment?
Reply 66
Original post by r-star
Not to sure i would say between 13-15 i didnt do this question i did 3a and 3b. what did u write for changes in fares on revenue and economic prosperity

Ah thank you, really hope thats true.

For the revenue i think i flunked as well, I wrote that its price elastic so an increase in price would lead to a decrease in quantity demanded etc

Prosperity question i can't remember what i did, loads of waffle
Original post by r-star
I think the main point was about commuting this is the key to linking with why employment increases since more people can reach work and beneficial since its cheaper......
you said due to rail privitisation but how does privitisation actuall to employment?

privatisation generates job opportunities. employ more workers as privatised into network rail, roscos and tocs?
mentioned network rail as example of infrastructure provider
and talked about efficiencies
but what did u write for judgement?

Can't remember exactly, something about how it varies between different transport industries - works well for network rail because natural monopoly. Think I mentioned about how the market would probably become an oligopoly if it wasn't monopoly so not that much would change, never going to be perfectly competitive. Something else too but not sure what
Reply 69
Original post by daldald
Ah thank you, really hope thats true.

For the revenue i think i flunked as well, I wrote that its price elastic so an increase in price would lead to a decrease in quantity demanded etc

Prosperity question i can't remember what i did, loads of waffle

but if theres increase in price of fares tat movement alon demand quantity decreases and price increase so revenue decreases. vice versa then i wrote elasticity as well in terms of inelasticity. Was this what u was meant to write about?
Reply 70
What diagram did anyone do for 2a?
Reply 71
for the fare question I wrote about how a decrease in price would result in an increase in revenue due to increased quantity demanded, and also said that an increase in price would decrease revenue due to a decrease in quantity demanded, however an increase in fares during on peak times would increase revenue as quantity demanded would be unlikely to decrease due to it being a derived demand
(i.e. people still need to get to work so will still pay for the increased fare). How many marks is this likely to get?
Reply 72
Original post by lagoon
for the fare question I wrote about how a decrease in price would result in an increase in revenue due to increased quantity demanded, and also said that an increase in price would decrease revenue due to a decrease in quantity demanded, however an increase in fares during on peak times would increase revenue as quantity demanded would be unlikely to decrease due to it being a derived demand
(i.e. people still need to get to work so will still pay for the increased fare). How many marks is this likely to get?

yes I put about it likely to have price elastic demand
Original post by lagoon

I said exactly the same thing and I think that's right
Original post by felecita
Can't remember exactly, something about how it varies between different transport industries - works well for network rail because natural monopoly. Think I mentioned about how the market would probably become an oligopoly if it wasn't monopoly so not that much would change, never going to be perfectly competitive. Something else too but not sure what

Was this for the 8 marker?
Reply 75
privatisation generates job opportunities. employ more workers as privatised into network rail, roscos and tocs?

should be right but i would rather write about commuting plus its 4 marker so i think you had to write more then that.
Reply 76
Did anyone do Question 4 about air travel being sustainable mode of transport what did you write about?
Any one do question 4? B went well but i think I approached A wrong. I talked about what effected demand for road transport and how it then go on to effect the environment when maybe you were meant to talk about the environmental impact only.
Reply 78
Original post by r-star
Did anyone do Question 4 about air travel being sustainable mode of transport what did you write about?

I did that question and was hard to do proper analysis . Only had 2 points .....
Original post by JediCharlie
Any one do question 4? B went well but i think I approached A wrong. I talked about what effected demand for road transport and how it then go on to effect the environment when maybe you were meant to talk about the environmental impact only.

I did q4, yeah you were meant to just talk about environment impact as it already said there was an increase in demand

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending