The Student Room Group

Could there be a shy Brexit vote?

By this I mean, similar to the shy Tory vote, when a number of people have actually been keeping hush whether that's on social media or in the polls due to fear of being accused as a racist or xenophobe. Could this boost Brexit? Just interested to get some other opinion on this.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Sebastian Bartlett
By this I mean, similar to the shy Tory vote, when a number of people have actually been keeping hush whether that's on social media or in the polls due to fear of being accused as a racist or xenophobe. Could this boost Brexit? Just interested to get some other opinion on this.

Yes you never know, all these polls don't prove anything and we might be in for a surprise
Reply 2
I feel it's going to be the opposite- it's going to be a silent remain. The silent Tory phenomenon occurs because Consevative voters do not want to be perceived as privileged or 'out of touch'. In this referendum, remain voters do not want to be associated with the steroetype of being 'unpatriotic' so they are likely to be silent about it. Leave voters have been more outspoken so far and have been presenting a loud and energetic campaign and have reiterated the patriotic line.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jee1
Yes you never know, all these polls don't prove anything and we might be in for a surprise

Very true, its so hard to predict.
Doubtful. The quiet majority supports Remain, the Brexiteers are the ones who won't shut up about their opinions.
Is that even a question? Obviously yes.
If youre a Brexiter then you're obviously gonna be seen as racist etc.
Thats why you see so many Bremain campaigners on the street but not many Brexit, because they'd likely be verbally abused, especially in cities like London
Pretty much what the rest said. Given how vocal the leave campaign are I would imagine the silent side is going to be the remain side.

Although I suppose given how the default assumption if you're voting leave is that you're a bigot and xenophobic, it is possible there will be some shy ones.
Original post by Trapz99
I feel it's going to be the opposite- it's going to be a silent remain. The silent Tory phenomenon occurs because Consevative voters do not want to be perceived as 'privileged' or 'out of touch'. In this referendum, remain voters do not want to be associated with the steroetype of being 'unpatriotic' so they are likely to be silent about it. Leave voters have been more outspoken so far.

I do see your point but I think (based on social media and polling) that most who are voting leave are keeping much more hush except for a vocal few and whereas everyone who votes remain is broadcasting they have as if it was such a clear decision, which I know most people don't think it is.

It could go either way though, it's just so unpredictable.

One poll, take the last 24hrs and the average is 51 - 49
One poll, take the last 24hrs and the average is 51 - 49

yes, one poll, but still the most recent one
Reply 11
Lets not forget about those on the left advocating leaving the EU aswell, these guys will be equally and if not more 'shy' in making their opinions heard.

Honestly I think Jeremy Corbyn probs went into the polling booth and voted for leave lol.
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
Doubtful. The quiet majority supports Remain, the Brexiteers are the ones who won't shut up about their opinions.

Doubt it, well we will see. Just as many vocal and cocky remainers and based on your statement you are edging scarily close to disliking free speech
Original post by alevelstresss
yes, one poll, but still the most recent one

Well you would fail your any assignment or debate if you don't look at the trend.
Original post by Elivercury
Pretty much what the rest said. Given how vocal the leave campaign are I would imagine the silent side is going to be the remain side.

Although I suppose given how the default assumption if you're voting leave is that you're a bigot and xenophobic, it is possible there will be some shy ones.

The rest? you do realise 2 said that and 2 said what I said.
Why don't we avoid the possibility of this happening by voting REMAIN!
There's little evidence that shy Tories exist.

A Brexit result is still possible, as the spread of polls includes a Leave lead, it's just less likely than a Remain result.
Doubt it, well we will see. Just as many vocal and cocky remainers and based on your statement you are edging scarily close to disliking free speech

Remain voters are normal people, go to university/work, vote, go home and spend time with friends and family. Leave voters are obsessed, you get the feeling they sit at home all day in their mum's basement answering any poll they can to let the world know how much they're going to vote to leave. Remain will win and it won't even be close.
The rest? you do realise 2 said that and 2 said what I said.

Bird hadn't posted while I was writing my response. What does it matter?
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
Remain voters are normal people, go to university/work, vote, go home and spend time with friends and family. Leave voters are obsessed, you get the feeling they sit at home all day in their mum's basement answering any poll they can to let the world know how much they're going to vote to leave. Remain will win and it won't even be close.

Wow, just wow. Disgusting comment and you wonder why so many brexit supporters are shy. Also your ignorance and naivety will be the downfall of the remain campaign.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending