The Student Room Group

The immense stupidity of the young idealistic Remain vote

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dnkz7
Yeah right, with who's cash exactly? LOL you are so delusional - understand that WITHOUT the EU you'd not be able to get produce from abroad at a cheaper rate. Would you like thugs to sell you £45 eggs in the street corner? No I take it you wouldnt so lets just put a stop to this nonsense and stay in Europe.

The guy you are attacking is one of you (a moron)

£45 for six eggs?? That sounds fantastic.. we could all buy a few hens and everyone would become millionaires!
Original post by Good bloke
The disadvantages of uncontrolled immigration immigration are nothing to do with race.

Nothing to do with what I said.
Original post by DorianGrayism
Nothing to do with what I said.

You said:

I think various polls have shown older generations to be less accepting ethnic minorities and etc. That is why immigration is a bigger factor in their decision.

Being less accepting of ethnic minorities (i.e. other races) does involve a degree of racism, doesn't it?
Why do you think we would necessarily join the EEA? We import far more from the EU than we export, and the proportion of such trade as a whole is falling. Britain is well placed for other markets.. A simple strategy of asking for free trade and then mirroring whatever tariffs other countries impose on us would be fine.

The German politicians huff and puff in advance of the vote but German industrialists have a lot more sense: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36596060

I didn't say that we would join the EEA. That was the argument of the person I was talking to.

Importing more than we export isn't that important. Malta also import more than they export. The point is that 44% of our exports go to the EU vs 15% of vice versa. Therefore, we will be worse affected.

Lol@ Mirroring tariffs. So easy!
You said:

I think various polls have shown older generations to be less accepting ethnic minorities and etc. That is why immigration is a bigger factor in their decision.

Being less accepting of ethnic minorities (i.e. other races) does involve a degree of racism, doesn't it?

And your point is what?

I didn't say that if you are anti-immigrant then you are racist.
And your point is what?

I didn't say that if you are anti-immigrant then you are racist.

You left the smell of it hanging in the air. I wouldn't want to travel in a lift with you.
You left the smell of it hanging in the air. I wouldn't want to travel in a lift with you.

Actually, I explained it later on.

It is just you that didn't get it.
Reply 227
Original post by OturuDansay
Vote OUT to cause chaos ya no

LOL at people who make it seem like WW3 will start if we leave the EU.
(edited 7 years ago)
My friend list is largely made up of people in my age group (19) and the vitriol and self-righteousness of the remainers (i.e., all of them) is very irritating. Pictures singling out apparently ignorant individual working class people making stupid comments about immigration, or simply stereotyping out voters as lazy and uneducated in general, or calling leaving effectively immoral, or attacking old people voting out with the less than kind reasoning of "oh you'll die soon anyway".
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
My friend list is largely made up of people in my age group (19) and the vitriol and self-righteousness of the remainers (i.e., all of them) is very irritating. Pictures singling out apparently ignorant individual working class people making stupid comments about immigration, or simply stereotyping out voters as lazy and uneducated in general, or calling leaving effectively immoral, or attacking old people voting out with the less than kind reasoning of "oh you'll die soon anyway".

What is your point? That you make friends with morons?
I didn't say that we would join the EEA. That was the argument of the person I was talking to.

Importing more than we export isn't that important. Malta also import more than they export. The point is that 44% of our exports go to the EU vs 15% of vice versa. Therefore, we will be worse affected.

Lol@ Mirroring tariffs. So easy!

The point is, that in 2000, 60% of British exports were to the EU, whilst in 2015, only 47% were. It's a shrinking sector, yet Britain is restricted from dealing with booming economies in Asia and the commonwealth because of EU deals, thus Britain will be forced to continously bail out Greece and Italy, whose economies were better than when they joined the EU and the Euro. To say it isn't important it to ignore the huge £32 billion trade deficit we have with the EU, and the trade deficit with 20 of the 28 member states. Who needs who?
Original post by Chloe_bellz
The point is, that in 2000, 60% of British exports were to the EU, whilst in 2015, only 47% were.

That wasn't his point. Anyway, so what? It is still 47%. You make it sound as if 47% is meaningless.

It's a shrinking sector, yet Britain is restricted from dealing with booming economies in Asia and the commonwealth because of EU deals,

Which Asian country has said they are interested? (Answer = Zero)

thus Britain will be forced to continously bail out Greece and Italy, whose economies were better than when they joined the EU and the Euro. To say it isn't important it to ignore the huge £32 billion trade deficit we have with the EU, and the trade deficit with 20 of the 28 member states. Who needs who?

I don't think Italy was bailed out.

Anyway, the entire reason why those countries are being bailed out is to prevent a banking crisis. That would include British banks.

The last point is irrelevant.

The thing is that they aren't all morons. Many are very intelligent people by most reasonable metrics. I think a huge majority of people in this age group will want to remain and quite passionately, and this same huge majority isn't necessarily stupid. It is easy to dismiss those who display ignorance and generalisation as morons, but we all do this to an extent. I still like most of the people but I think it is very easy for people, especially at my age and younger, to get swept into the popular narrative, especially when so many are left wing and liberal. Furthermore I live in an area which has not seen the negative impacts of immigration to any extent, and a lot of people have head in the clouds notions that it has nothing but positive effects, as they have seen nothing but positive effects, if any, so seeing the leave campaign focus on this they naturally assume it is motivated purely by xenophobia and that turns them off it.
The thing is that they aren't all morons. Many are very intelligent people by most reasonable metrics. I think a huge majority of people in this age group will want to remain and quite passionately, and this same huge majority isn't necessarily stupid. It is easy to dismiss those who display ignorance and generalisation as morons, but we all do this to an extent. I still like most of the people but I think it is very easy for people, especially at my age and younger, to get swept into the popular narrative, especially when so many are left wing and liberal. Furthermore I live in an area which has not seen the negative impacts of immigration to any extent, and a lot of people have head in the clouds notions that it has nothing but positive effects, as they have seen nothing but positive effects, if any, so seeing the leave campaign focus on this they naturally assume it is motivated purely by xenophobia and that turns them off it.

Yeh, those are pretty good reasons.
That wasn't his point. Anyway, so what? It is still 47%. You make it sound as if 47% is meaningless.

Which Asian country has said they are interested? (Answer = Zero)

I don't think Italy was bailed out.

Anyway, the entire reason why those countries are being bailed out is to prevent a banking crisis. That would include British banks.

The last point is irrelevant.

I'm saying that every year, this sector is shrinking, eventually it will be little to nothing. As it stands, Britain deals more with countries OUTSIDE the EU than within. Many Asian countries have said they will still trade with Britain, including Japan and China, if we leave. Leaving will also give us the opportunity to establish more efficient deals amongst countries with rapid economic growth, is what I'm saying, rather than the restrictive "You must deal with us and only us" abusive husband EU deal. I didn't say Italy was bailed out, I said we would, because denying Italy is very close to a major recession and collapse it to deny reality here. Greece was bailed out because the IMF and EU central agencies failed them, along with measures taken by the Greek government naturally, but look at the rates at which economies in the EU are going and say to me that Italy, Greece, France and Spain are doing well? Youth unemployment, immigration (not opposed to it, before you slam me as racist, I'm talking of a controlled, skilled worker's points based system) , opposition to TTIP (which is why Obama wants us to stay in), and economic stagnation and eventual recession leading to further cuts due to the EU's forcing of us to have a certain amount of GDP spent on foreign aid are the factor's that will decide my vote.
I'm saying that every year, this sector is shrinking, eventually it will be little to nothing. As it stands, Britain deals more with countries OUTSIDE the EU than within. Many Asian countries have said they will still trade with Britain, including Japan and China, if we leave. .

So what? My point is that the sector is still 44% of the Economy. What part of that don't you understand?
Original post by Betelgeuse-
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/22/world/europe/britain-eu-referendum-families.html?_r=0

Louise 19, said she understood the pressures that immigration placed on schools and hospitals. But leaving the European Union worried her, she said, because it risked wrecking the economy and making it hard for young people to secure employment.

It took her eight months to find work as a barista, she said.

“If I wanted to work abroad, it would be a lot easier if England was in the E.U.,” Louise said.

Spoiler

I would quote one of your nonsensical post in a new thread but alas TSR won't let me
Original post by TaintedLight
I would quote one of your nonsensical post in a new thread but alas TSR won't let me

Thats a shame
The general rhetoric coming from both camps is retarded to say the least.

The huffing and puffing of young or naive voters dismissing any talk of immigration as purely xenophobic is moronic considering mass free movement is a very debatable concept (as shown by repeated problems with integration of those who do not understand the British culture - I'm a Brit-Pak, btw) but you can't blame them because human nature is generally to side with people and personalities over ideologies, imo, especially if you do not have a nuanced view of the world.

The Leave/Brexit campaign has certainly done itself no favours by having Farage and Boris Johnson as its figureheads, particularly the former whose comments go far beyond ignorance and into the racist column.
(edited 7 years ago)

How did you vote?

You just proved 131's point about the...you know...vitriol? :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending