The Student Room Group

What was your favourite year of university and why?

1, 2 or 3?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

1st, I met my partner that year.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
1st, I met my partner that year.

aww, how did you meet? :smile:
Original post by gg2048
aww, how did you meet? :smile:

Midnight marvel film showing with the film society :smile:
Original post by gg2048
I just finished my first year of university and it was not what I hoped for at all. Last year I was so excited to move out since uni is so hyped up, and I thought I'd be in for a mad social life. In reality, the floor I lived on in halls was really antisocial. Whilst my flat was fab, there were only 4 of us, and we didn't know the other flats on our floor at all - they were wandering about in their pyjamas during freshers week when we were getting ready to go out, and they never made the effort to get to know us. It was horrible living there as well because the floors below us were all really close - so each floor had a 'family' of about 20, whereas mine there were just 4 of us who bonded, which could get very lonely sometimes. It was hard seeing photos of my friends from other floors having a good time on social media. My question is, did you prefer your 2nd/3rd year, or was 1st year your favourite? Mine was still fun, but not half as fun as it could have been, which really depresses me if I think too much into it as I feel like I missed out on the 'best year f my life'. I would love to know if there is more to look forward to in the coming years!

Sounds like reality tbh
Reply 5
I've just finished my second year but it has definitely been my favourite so far. More interesting modules, I was more sociable, joined societies, met my girlfriend.
I cant really say which is best as ive just finished my first, but i think it will be the best, despite some pretty crappy things happening. it taught me how to be an adult, how to act around others, what not to say etc. my block was the best, we became a family as we bonded so well. made some very goodclose friendships too. but best of all, its when i got together with my girlfriend
Reply 7
Original post by ckfeister
Sounds like reality tbh

haha exactly!
Reply 8
Original post by Anon #2
I've just finished my second year but it has definitely been my favourite so far. More interesting modules, I was more sociable, joined societies, met my girlfriend.

That makes me excited for the coming year, did you enjoy living in a house? And aww how did you meet your girl?
Reply 9
Original post by Jay018
I cant really say which is best as ive just finished my first, but i think it will be the best, despite some pretty crappy things happening. it taught me how to be an adult, how to act around others, what not to say etc. my block was the best, we became a family as we bonded so well. made some very goodclose friendships too. but best of all, its when i got together with my girlfriend

I wish I'd had a good block but my accommodation wasn't very social really! and ahh that's cute - how did you meet your girlfriend?
Original post by gg2048
I wish I'd had a good block but my accommodation wasn't very social really! and ahh that's cute - how did you meet your girlfriend?

If im honest, all the other blocks on campus weren't as social as mine was. we just hit lucky and got a good mix of people who were able to bond well. well after the first 2 days as my flat didnt get talking to the others for a few days haha. I had known here for a couple of years prior to coming to uni, a lot of negative things happened during the year which in the end brought us together.
Reply 11
Original post by Jay018
If im honest, all the other blocks on campus weren't as social as mine was. we just hit lucky and got a good mix of people who were able to bond well. well after the first 2 days as my flat didnt get talking to the others for a few days haha. I had known here for a couple of years prior to coming to uni, a lot of negative things happened during the year which in the end brought us together.

yeah it's deffo hitting luck - the other floors in my halls were super social, just mine wasn't, so we made friends elsewhere! oh i see, yeah i know some couples who knew each other from home and got together at uni actually :smile:
In terms of university socially and academically- this year (my second year).
Outside of university defiantly the first year though.
It's hard to explain but last year my life outside of university helped me get through university, whereas this year it's been almost the opposite.
Original post by gg2048
yeah it's deffo hitting luck - the other floors in my halls were super social, just mine wasn't, so we made friends elsewhere! oh i see, yeah i know some couples who knew each other from home and got together at uni actually :smile:

Yeah, we did the same too with other blocks (we had small blocks on campus, 17 or 23 depending on the blocks) and around 230 on campus, so it was easy to make friends due to our different courses. yeah, i knew a few too. i knew a few who also met at uni which was cute, a few i totally did not expect to happen and some i totally saw coming
Reply 14
Original post by Jay018
Yeah, we did the same too with other blocks (we had small blocks on campus, 17 or 23 depending on the blocks) and around 230 on campus, so it was easy to make friends due to our different courses. yeah, i knew a few too. i knew a few who also met at uni which was cute, a few i totally did not expect to happen and some i totally saw coming

17 people in your block or 17 blocks haha? what uni were you at might i ask? :smile: and yeah, loads have got together at uni!
Original post by gg2048
17 people in your block or 17 blocks haha? what uni were you at might i ask? :smile: and yeah, loads have got together at uni!

17 in my block and there were 10 in total. 8 blocks had 23 and 2 had 17 for some reason. I'm at gloucestershire uni.
Reply 16
I disliked my first year, it was complicated. I felt lost and misunderstood, but after a second year I finally was able to go with the flow, things got better :smile:
Reply 17
Final year for sure, more option to pick and choose subjects I was genuinely interested in. First year was the worst for the opposite reason, too broad (no options) and I found 1 or 2 of my modules a bore (even though it was by far the easiest), which I had no interest in following up in later years.
Only gone through two years. First year was better by some way out of the two - second year, I kind of lost motivation and missed living on campus to some extent, and the content got more difficult and less interesting for most modules.

My 3rd year, starting this Monday, is a placement year so I think I'll enjoy it a lot, and then 3rd year is probably going to be the best year at uni because of the option choices, knowing what I need to get what classification, trying to make the most of uni life while I have it etc.
Original post by gg2048
I just finished my first year of university and it was not what I hoped for at all. Last year I was so excited to move out since uni is so hyped up, and I thought I'd be in for a mad social life. In reality, the floor I lived on in halls was really antisocial. Whilst my flat was fab, there were only 4 of us, and we didn't know the other flats on our floor at all - they were wandering about in their pyjamas during freshers week when we were getting ready to go out, and they never made the effort to get to know us. It was horrible living there as well because the floors below us were all really close - so each floor had a 'family' of about 20, whereas mine there were just 4 of us who bonded, which could get very lonely sometimes. It was hard seeing photos of my friends from other floors having a good time on social media. My question is, did you prefer your 2nd/3rd year, or was 1st year your favourite? Mine was still fun, but not half as fun as it could have been, which really depresses me if I think too much into it as I feel like I missed out on the 'best year f my life'. I would love to know if there is more to look forward to in the coming years!

Definitely 2nd year for me both academically and socially (Just finished 2nd year). I got out of my comfort zone and joined societies, I made more friends in & out of my course (&slightly glo'd up ;D ). I was very closed in 1st year and didn't talk to that many people whereas in 2nd year I made a conscious effort to talk to people and be more social I guess.
Uni is what you make it!!!!. We are sold this lie that your first year will be the best year of your entire life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply