The Student Room Group

fp2 help

http://mathsathawthorn.pbworks.com/f/FP2+JUNE+2009.pdf
Can someone help me to do 8d? Like i dont know how to do it:/
Original post by Ayaz789
http://mathsathawthorn.pbworks.com/f/FP2+JUNE+2009.pdf
Can someone help me to do 8d? Like i dont know how to do it:/

I haven't done inverse of rational functions before but by investinging it I think I can help.

The question is asking for the values of yy will the inverse function be between 0<x<100<x<10. This means that for the original function, the opposite is true; for which values of xx will the function be between 0<y<100<y<10. If you were to find solutions to f(x)=0f(x)=0 and f(x)=10f(x)=10, and by looking at the graph you sketched you should notice that the solutions are bounds of intervals. One being 3<x<0-3<x<0 and the other 2<x<52<x<5 which should be the solutions to the question once you consider the inverse.

As I said, I haven't covered this topic so I'm not an expert as it does not appear on any of my modules (FP2 included, from AQA) + the inverse function confusion doesn't help, but hopefully it gets you going in the right direction. If you need to, use graphing software like Desmos to see what I mean. The function f1(x)=(+/)[(1/4)(3x)2x]1/2(1/2)(3x)f^{-1}(x)=(+/-)[(1/4)(3-x)^{2} - x]^{1/2} - (1/2)(3-x)
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
I haven't done inverse of rational functions before but by investinging it I think I can help.

The question is asking for the values of yy will the inverse function be between 0<x<100<x<10. This means that for the original function, the opposite is true; for which values of xx will the function be between 0<y<100<y<10. If you were to find solutions to f(x)=0f(x)=0 and f(x)=10f(x)=10, and by looking at the graph you sketched you should notice that the solutions are bounds of intervals. One being 3<x<0-3<x<0 and the other 2<x<52<x<5 which should be the solutions to the question once you consider the inverse.

As I said, I haven't covered this topic so I'm not an expert as it does not appear on any of my modules (FP2 included, from AQA) + the inverse function confusion doesn't help, but hopefully it gets you going in the right direction. If you need to, use graphing software like Desmos to see what I mean. The function f1(x)=(+/)[(1/4)(3x)2x]1/2(1/2)(3x)f^{-1}(x)=(+/-)[(1/4)(3-x)^{2} - x]^{1/2} - (1/2)(3-x)

Ah okay thats fine! Ive posted another question , it'd be great if you could look at it! Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest