The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Neuroscience - Firm

Did anyone firm bristol for neuroscience? (not insurance just firm) If so where are you planning to stay for accommodation and what are you most excited for?

Scroll to see replies

Can't even remember where I applied now. Manor Hall, The Rackhay and Favell House (not sure on the last two).

Most excited to meet lots of lovely new people.

Least looking forward to being ostracised for being a mature student.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Awesome! Have you already done your a levels and have an unconditional offer? Being a mature student could fun as everyone is so intrigued by you and you've got a better understand of life than the rest of us, I reckon you'll fit in fine! What made you decide on neuroscience at Bristol?
Original post by calooee
Awesome! Have you already done your a levels and have an unconditional offer? Being a mature student could fun as everyone is so intrigued by you and you've got a better understand of life than the rest of us, I reckon you'll fit in fine! What made you decide on neuroscience at Bristol?

No, I'm coming to the end of an access course at the moment.
Everyone being intrigued still seems like being a separate entity to the group. I suppose that's to be expected, I don't imagine I'll be going on (m)any nights out with my cohort or anything but it would be nice to be able to make some real friends. I will be on my own, after all.

I picked Bristol because I liked the course the most out of the places I picked; there's a lot of interesting modules to pick from that'll keep me interested and allow me to develop my understanding of the subject.
I chose neuroscience for its ability to begin to answer both philosophical and scientific answers; why we think the way we do, how our reality is determined and what changes when our brain is damaged etc. I also want to be able to help with dementia etc.

What about you?
What are you looking forward to? What A Levels are you doing? Why neuroscience? Why Bristol? Where have you applied to stay?
Just tagging some people who I think, maybe are coming to Bristol.
Reply 5
hey, i'm emma :smile: so i'm on my gap year and have an unconditional for bristol but haven't decided whether to accept (have 2 days left :s-smilie:). I haven't looked at accommodation yet but want to stay in self catered halls/flats. Not excited yet, just worried about decisions, but once that's over I'll be looking forward to moving out, making close friends, going on some decent nights out and studying interesting modules in a pretty city.
Reply 6
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
No, I'm coming to the end of an access course at the moment.
Everyone being intrigued still seems like being a separate entity to the group. I suppose that's to be expected, I don't imagine I'll be going on (m)any nights out with my cohort or anything but it would be nice to be able to make some real friends. I will be on my own, after all.

You won't be alone, I'm gonna be in the same boat as you. Coming from an access course as a mature student too!
Original post by Slokir
You won't be alone, I'm gonna be in the same boat as you. Coming from an access course as a mature student too!

Wow, I feel so much better about things now!
How old are you though, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 8
25, so probably on the younger end of the scale as far as mature students go.
Still, don't think i'll have a huge amount in common with the fresh faced school leavers.
I met a fair few of the mature applicants at an open day a few months back and there were a pretty varied age range from early 20ties to late 30/early 40ies so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Bristol seems to be more accepting of access courses that a lot of Unis i've visited.
Original post by Slokir
25, so probably on the younger end of the scale as far as mature students go.
Still, don't think i'll have a huge amount in common with the fresh faced school leavers.
I met a fair few of the mature applicants at an open day a few months back and there were a pretty varied age range from early 20ties to late 30/early 40ies so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Bristol seems to be more accepting of access courses that a lot of Unis i've visited.

I'm not so worried generally, more specifically on our course. But even if you and I don't get on it's comforting to know there will be another older student in lectures etc.
Reply 10
I have firmed my unconditional neuroscience offer. Applied for Manor Hall, Unite, Waverley accomm. So exciting!
Reply 11
Original post by petraaa
I have firmed my unconditional neuroscience offer. Applied for Manor Hall, Unite, Waverley accomm. So exciting!

OMG how did you get an unconditional? Have you already got a levels?
Reply 12
Original post by calooee
OMG how did you get an unconditional? Have you already got a levels?

No, doing A levels now. I applied quite late via UCAS Extra because I didn't get into Medicine at Bristol. They gave me conditional for Neuroscience, I firmed and then they suddenly changed it to unconditional without saying anything.
I kind of want to do neuroscience but not to sure as to what Carter I can have after

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by petraaa
No, doing A levels now. I applied quite late via UCAS Extra because I didn't get into Medicine at Bristol. They gave me conditional for Neuroscience, I firmed and then they suddenly changed it to unconditional without saying anything.

What AS grades did you get?! I'm so jealous ahaha I firmed briz the minute I got an offer why don't they love me like that 🙄
Reply 15
Original post by calooee
What AS grades did you get?! I'm so jealous ahaha I firmed briz the minute I got an offer why don't they love me like that 🙄

I didn't tell them my AS grades. I was predicted A*AA for my A2s though.
Reply 16
Original post by petraaa

You have to put your AS grades on UCAS? How did you get away with that?
Reply 17
Original post by petraaa

What subjects did you do may I ask?
Reply 18
Original post by Rajive
What subjects did you do may I ask?

Maths, Biology, Chemistry, dropped Physics after AS
Reply 19
Original post by calooee
You have to put your AS grades on UCAS? How did you get away with that?

No, you don't. If you're going to retake some AS exams in upper sixth you don't put your AS grades. Well at least you don't have to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending