The Student Room Group

The immense stupidity of the young idealistic Remain vote

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DorianGrayism
So what? My point is that the sector is still 44% of the Economy. What part of that don't you understand?

My point is that it's shrinking, what part do you not understand?
Original post by 0to100

You just proved 131's point about the...you know...vitriol? :colonhash:

Not really being vitriolic. He is the one making them sound stupid. So I was asking why he would be friends with them in the first place.
Original post by Chloe_bellz
My point is that it's shrinking, what part do you not understand?

And? That had nothing do with what I said.

I don't care if it is shrinking, if they comprimise almost half of our trade.

Their trade with us is shrinking as well. Using your logic, then that would be a reason for them to kick us out. It is shrinking, so who cares?
Original post by stephenb1608
Exactly. They are morons. It is unbelievable just how dumb and stupid the young are today. Absolutely no critical thinking skills at all. This is why the SNP lowered the voting age prior to the referendum in Scotland to 16 as they knew that 16 and 17 year olds are gullible, naive and too lazy to check facts. They simply believe what they want to believe and that is their position.

It absolutely boils my blood how so many young people think they are absolutely correct and anyone who disagrees with them is (insert insult here) despite the fact they are basically always wrong and know so little of the realities of life.

Getting out of the EU is the best thing we could ever do. I'm sure we'll get out eventually. Either in this referendum or in a few years when Britain gets worse and worse until people can't take it anymore.

You couldn't be more wrong. It's hilarious.
And? That had nothing do with what I said.

I don't care if it is shrinking, if they comprimise almost half of our trade.

Their trade with us is shrinking as well. Using your logic, then that would be a reason for them to kick us out. It is shrinking, so who cares?

Any credible accountant would tell you that staying in a position whereby your profits are not exceeding your deficit and your "main" partner is a shrinking sector is a foolish business mistake worthy of the Great depression.
Reply 245
Original post by Betelgeuse-
The guy you are attacking is one of you (a moron)

£45 for six eggs?? That sounds fantastic.. we could all buy a few hens and everyone would become millionaires!

We'll see by tonight... Pretty certain we are going to remain in Europe. Bit rich calling me a moron, considering you have little to no evidence what soever to prove that Britain will be much better off without the EU.
Any credible accountant would tell you that staying in a position whereby your profits are not exceeding your deficit and your "main" partner is a shrinking sector is a foolish business mistake worthy of the Great depression.

Except that running a country is not a business and the UK will not stop trading with them.

Using your logic we should stop trading with China.
(edited 7 years ago)
Except that running a country is not a business and the UK will not stop trading with them.

Running a country is exactly like running a business, on a much grander scale. The EU can never stop trading with the UK, because they need us. Spain would fall without British tourism, so any scare mongering you hear about aviation not being cheap is a myth. Germany would still be selling us their machinery, alongside them Japan is the next biggest supplier of technology, they couldn't afford to lose Britain. Leaving will give us free reign to elect our laws, whilst controlling trade agreements and immigration, dictating our own laws (we can deport hate preachers for a start) and begin to fix the burden placed on the NHS both by budget cuts and overburdening via immigration. Whilst trading.
Running a country is exactly like running a business, on a much grander scale. .

No, it isn't. Using your logic, we should stop trading with China.
No, it isn't. Using your logic, we should stop trading with China.

Going to have to explain that one to me, mate.

Just about every credible economists is disagreeing with you right now.
Going to have to explain that one to me, mate.

Any credible accountant would tell you that staying in a position whereby your profits are not exceeding your deficit and your "main" partner is a shrinking sector is a foolish business mistake worthy of the Great depression

Again. Using your logic, then we stop trading with China.
Original post by JordanL_
Just about every credible economists is disagreeing with you right now.

Ah yes, the IMF, that chap that gleefully watched as Greece sunk.
Ah yes, the IMF, that chap that gleefully watched as Greece sunk.

IMF, OECD, LSE, WTO, the list goes on. I don't really understand why you think that you know better than the vast majority of economists.
Something about the tone of OP makes me think that any young person reading this thread will be all the more determined to vote Remain, if only to make the old toads and kippers here feel bad.
Again. Using your logic, then we stop trading with China.

China does not have a deficit with 20 countries totalling £32 billion. China's economy has rapidly grown due to its enormous population, it was bound to burst, yet it will not burst like Greece has. It has the money to sustain itself, because it's not spending it on daft things like the EU is.
China does not have a deficit with 20 countries totalling £32 billion. China's economy has rapidly grown due to its enormous population, it was bound to burst, yet it will not burst like Greece has. It has the money to sustain itself, because it's not spending it on daft things like the EU is.

What difference does that make to the fact we have a huge deficit that will only grow with an FTA?
I watched the Eddie Izzard and Farage debate. I thought that Izzard was on drugs, nuts and never going to live down his awful performance. When a member of the audience shouts at you to shut up you've probably gone too far. Izzards arguments were childish and pathetic. So when I find that those at work use the same arguments, even people I like, I am rather depressed.
What difference does that make to the fact we have a huge deficit that will only grow with an FTA?

Not sure what FTA stands for in that context-free trade agreement, free travel agreement?
Forgive me if this has already been asked but why would most economists be wrong to believe we should stay?
I think the EU is pretty ****, but it's the lesser of 2 evils. We have stability in the EU, and the single market prevents labour immobility
But hopefully after this referendum we should be able to negotiate new trade deals. The whole thing about immigration I don't really agree with because there are so many high skilled workers who come from the EU. Without medical practitioners the NHS would be even more worse off than it is now. Also, we are not magically going to have more money if we leave the EU. Yes small businesses will benefit from less competition, but that benefit would be by no means evenly distributed. Fields like research would suffer because we get a lot of funding and many great minds from the EU. Also, the EU ends up giving a lot of money we give them, back into the UK though bursaries etc.In the short term I have absolutely no doubt that there would be a recession because it takes time to negotiate trade deals and countries may be more reluctant, now that we aren't part of the EU. On the other hand I can understand why sovereignty is such a prevalent issue for many people and the EU is run by people whom we can't even vote on or out if we choose to and they end up making laws ( though I suspect not as many as Nigel Farage is saying) for the UKThe issue about refugees is concerning as although Turkey aren't very close to gaining EU membership, even if they did come close there's no way the UK would veto because they are a critical NATO member so we would be fool to piss them off. The free movement of labour means its ridiculously easy for terrorists to come into the country through Europe. The only way to control our borders is to reduce EU influence, whether that's through leaving the EU or renegotiating I really am not convinced either way :/. Can someone help sway my opinion? Also, all the lies that the Remain campaign have told means that I really dont trust them at all

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending