The Student Room Group

EU referendum polling station told to REMOVE England flags as it 'PROMOTES BREXIT'

ENGLAND football flags have been REMOVED from a polling station based in a SPORTS club after voters complained they would act as a “dog whistle” for Brexit in the EU referendum.

Mayfield Cricket Club in Palmers Green, Enfield, were ordered to take down the St George’s cross flags after the Electoral Commission received a number of complaints that it looked like an “EDL rally”.

Voters claimed the England flags, hung for the Euro 2016 Championships, had become a “dog whistle for the Brexit campaign”.

Christopher Lewis, 29, said he thought the clubhouse looked like an “EDL rally”.

He said:“It wasn’t that it was shocking to see the flags , it was that they should have been removed before the referendum.

Read More:
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/682760/EU-referendum-England-flags-removed-polling-station-Brexit-vote

Scroll to see replies

How ****ing absurd.

Just go vote and keep your trap shut.
**** like this ****ing angers me. Take back control
Reply 3
And if there'd been a polling station decorated with EU flags, the Leave camp would've accepted it without a fuss right? :rolleyes:
Reply 4
My polling station had loads of little England flags up, and the polling station sign was stuck right on a kids painting of Belgium :lol:
Whilst asinine **** like this irritates me, I don't think voting Leave will remove the idiots from society.
Original post by LettuceBeReal

Christopher Lewis, 29, said he thought the clubhouse looked like an “EDL rally”.

These people really hate their own country, don't they? Mere patriotrism counts as bigotry in their tiny minds
Original post by Dez
And if there'd been a polling station decorated with EU flags, the Leave camp would've accepted it without a fuss right? :rolleyes:

A British flag doesn't mean you support Brexit, this is nasty and offensive. I voted Remain and I think it is better for most people, but that doesn't mean I hate this country
Well my polling station Was an old peoples home and I was proud to see people displaying the England flag and to see a soldier in uniform voting. I bet some immigrant or foreign born or even self hating British person would take issue with that
Original post by neal95
**** like this ****ing angers me. Take back control

Presumibly if EU flags had been flying you would be demanding their removal. On this particular issue it makes perfect sense. After all UK law states that campaigning is not allowed on polling day and that includes flags.
Reply 10
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
A British flag doesn't mean you support Brexit, this is nasty and offensive. I voted Remain and I think it is better for most people, but that doesn't mean I hate this country

A country flag is clearly a political symbol. Polling stations are not allowed to have any political symbols, never mind if they're a product of patriotism, Europhilia or anything else.
Original post by Dez
A country flag is clearly a political symbol. Polling stations are not allowed to have any political symbols, never mind if they're a product of patriotism, Europhilia or anything else.

I don't recognise it as a political symbol.
Original post by Dez

Are you completely blind? Those flags were up for other things, they had a purpose for being up...this isn't some EU summit so there is no need to have eu flags, this is England, so we can have England flags. Get some patriotism...
Yeah England are playing in France in a tournament euro 2016 atm so why England flags shouldn't be up is beyond belief is it a crime to support your country whilst they are in a tournament
Reply 14
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
I don't recognise it as a political symbol.

Unless the other 46,499,536 people registered to vote agree with you, that's kind of irrelevant.

Original post by xJARSx
Are you completely blind? Those flags were up for other things, they had a purpose for being up...this isn't some EU summit so there is no need to have eu flags, this is England, so we can have England flags. Get some patriotism...

No problem with them being up at that location any time up to 06:59 or after 22:01, but while the building's a polling station on the day of an election, it has to obey the EC rules.
Original post by xJARSx

Us remain voters do ourselves no favours, we don't seem to believe in anything. We're miserable negative bores.

Apart from me.
Original post by Dez
Unless the other 46,499,536 people registered to vote agree with you, that's kind of irrelevant.

No problem with them being up at that location any time up to 06:59 or after 22:01, but while the building's a polling station on the day of an election, it has to obey the EC rules.

That's not against rules though, not really. What's wrong with having the flags up? We are still England if we stay or leave....
Daily Express - not reliable
Reply 18
Original post by xJARSx
That's not against rules though, not really. What's wrong with having the flags up? We are still England if we stay or leave....

It represents a geo-political area. What's wrong with taking the flags down for a few hours? Or just moving them somewhere else for a bit?
Original post by Dez
It represents a geo-political area. What's wrong with taking the flags down for a few hours? Or just moving them somewhere else for a bit?

Exactly, it represents a country. You know, the one we happen to be in and from....

Why bother taking them down when they cause no problems. Just wastes time and energy, it's stupid. God even the TSR team are biased....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending