The Student Room Group

Extenuating circumstances

Hey guys a close relative of mine passed away on Monday, and I've been having my exams ever since, and have my last one tomorrow. Its really had an effect on my performance as I just cant seem to focus like I have been doing. What can I do? Is it too late to apply for extenuating circumstances?
Original post by lordoftheties
Hey guys a close relative of mine passed away on Monday, and I've been having my exams ever since, and have my last one tomorrow. Its really had an effect on my performance as I just cant seem to focus like I have been doing. What can I do? Is it too late to apply for extenuating circumstances?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4107247

If I tell my exams officer about a domestic issue ive also been having would they have to let someone else know too? I really dont want so many people knowing about my situation is all...
If I tell my exams officer about a domestic issue ive also been having would they have to let someone else know too? I really dont want so many people knowing about my situation is all...

They will tell the minimum number of people needed to process the request. Being discreet is part of the job.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
They will tell the minimum number of people needed to process the request. Being discreet is part of the job.

Thanks so much for your help. Ive been looking through the guidelines for this and came accross this :

Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 20.58.09.png Im not sure what they mean by terminal grade and terminal series, do you have an idea of what they mean?
Thanks so much for your help. Ive been looking through the guidelines for this and came accross this :

Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 20.58.09.png Im not sure what they mean by terminal grade and terminal series, do you have an idea of what they mean?

I'm guessing the terminal grade is the A2 grade and the terminal series is A2, not AS exams, but I will summon the TSR exam officer genies to confirm or deny this for you.
@Compost @gdunne42 @Muttley79
Reply 6

A terminal series is the one when you complete a qualification to get an overall grade. These days a series is almost always terminal as candidates almost always take all the exams in one season (e.g. Summer 2016) and get a grade for it. It used to be the case that GCSEs were modular and you might well take a unit in Year 10 and finish the GCSE in Year 11. At GCE there used to be a January season as well as a Summer one, so many schools entered students for a unit in January and the others in the Summer. If there was a chance to re-sit the exam before you got an overall grade then you couldn't claim special consideration. If you are going to get an AS grade this Summer then this is the terminal series (and the AS grade is the terminal grade.
Thanks so much for the explanantion. I am retaking some units having already got an overrall grade last june. I missed my Literature exam and then took 2 other exams since the incident, and have my last one tomorrow. Would I get special consideration for the exams I took/will take tomorrow? And would I get enhanced grading for the literature exam i missed? Really sorry to drag this out so long but I appreciate your help so much.
Reply 8
Thanks so much for the explanantion. I am retaking some units having already got an overrall grade last june. I missed my Literature exam and then took 2 other exams since the incident, and have my last one tomorrow. Would I get special consideration for the exams I took/will take tomorrow? And would I get enhanced grading for the literature exam i missed? Really sorry to drag this out so long but I appreciate your help so much.

If you are cashed-in to get an overall grade this Summer then it is a terminal series and the centre can put in for special consideration.
Original post by Compost
If you are cashed-in to get an overall grade this Summer then it is a terminal series and the centre can put in for special consideration.

Oh okay I see. Do I need to get any evidence prepared? I dont think I can get the death certificate so soon.
Oh okay I see. Do I need to get any evidence prepared? I dont think I can get the death certificate so soon.

Talk to your centre.

Quick Reply

Latest