The Student Room Group

School laughed at my sisters condition

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Questioness
Do you even know what osgoods is lol? It's not a disability, it's a temporary condition. It's like having sore knee for a year. Both you and your sister is are drama queens.

Erm, it's not my sister for starters, but whatever.
I read that the condition can develop into serious stuff as well? If I'm mistaken then fair enough, but I still stand by the point that the teacher responded inappropriately. Nothing dramatic about wanting something done about that imo.
Reply 21
That is horrible! Ask your doctor to write a note which states that she has this condition. It is enough proof to school so your sister does not get into trouble again. If teachers still are still laughing etc. about it your parents must complain to the head teacher as it is not acceptable for teachers to do that.
The world has gone mad.
Original post by Anonymous
My sister got back from school really upset today. She was called in to discuss why she is sometimes late to school. She catches the school bus so if its late then she will be late to school. She has Osgood-Schlatter Disease in her left knee and has been told not to run for the bus or she will be in constant pain for the rest of the day and could severely damage her. When my sister explained this she was laughed at by the teacher and two students who were standing nearby. He said "That was the most stupid excuse I have ever heard." She is understandably upset and is unsure what to do.

Any advice for dealing with this would be helpful.

Whilst it is probably insensitive and something for your parents to take up with the head or to make an official complaint, then she still has a problem. If she cant run for the bus, then why cant she organise herself to get there ten minutes earlier?
Original post by oswalds
That was very unprofessional of the teacher. How much do the school know about her disability? I'm definitely not saying they were in the right, but do make sure they have all the information that they could need, as this is really helpful for you. I'd really recommend your parents phone the school, preferably the line manager of the teacher in question. They really need to know what has happened here so they can make sure that it never happens again. I have an unseen disability and have had teachers make comments before, and it can be really horrible, the teacher needs to know what they have done wrong.

Thanks for the suggestion. This is my preferred method of dealing with this. The school and the teacher have seen a hand-written doctors note explaining the basics of her condition and that she can't take part in PE. I understand that he was annoyed that she is late (and I have told her to get an earlier bus) but that reaction was totally uncalled for.
Reply 25
Your sisters condition isn't causing her to be late, her leaving late from home and getting the late bus is causing her to be late. I'm assuming that is what the teacher was laughing at but regardless it's pretty mean and I think you can escalate this issue.

Regardless, if your sister leaves earlier, she can avoid this entire issue.
Thanks for the suggestion. This is my preferred method of dealing with this. The school and the teacher have seen a hand-written doctors note explaining the basics of her condition and that she can't take part in PE. I understand that he was annoyed that she is late (and I have told her to get an earlier bus) but that reaction was totally uncalled for.

Perhaps the teacher laughed not at her condition, but the fact it can be used as ab excuse for being late, when in fact that is down to better organisation and getting to the bus stop earlier.
Original post by 999tigger
Whilst it is probably insensitive and something for your parents to take up with the head or to make an official complaint, then she still has a problem. If she cant run for the bus, then why cant she organise herself to get there ten minutes earlier?

I understand that and I am not condoning her punctuality, as I have told her to get an earlier bus, but the reaction from the teacher was completely inappropriate.
I understand that and I am not condoning her punctuality, as I have told her to get an earlier bus, but the reaction from the teacher was completely inappropriate.

I wasnt there bit it seems feasible that he was laughing at the way she the condition was being used as an excuse, rather than at someone who had the condition .

Even if she could have caught an earlier bus to be on time, his reaction was still entirely uncalled for and very insensitive. Best of luck in dealing with this!
Original post by trc96
The bus thing is yeah, but does she really deserve a teacher laughing in her face about her disability? I think not.

Yeah but, playing devil's advocate, people do make up excuses which sound just like that. Think back to school and the frequency with which people would facetiously lie about reasons for incomplete homework etc.

More likely than not this was just an unfortunate understanding, much like when somebody does a 'your mum' joke to somebody who's mum is dead. It happens occasionally, and honestly the disability in question is not a valid excuse for missing a bus. It's like saying you were late because there were mobile police cameras so you couldn't speed. To use this disability as an excuse is really, really pushing it, she should have left earlier.
My sister got back from school really upset today. She was called in to discuss why she is sometimes late to school. She catches the school bus so if its late then she will be late to school. She has Osgood-Schlatter Disease in her left knee and has been told not to run for the bus or she will be in constant pain for the rest of the day and could severely damage her. When my sister explained this she was laughed at by the teacher and two students who were standing nearby. He said "That was the most stupid excuse I have ever heard." She is understandably upset and is unsure what to do.

Any advice for dealing with this would be helpful.

If I were you I would hire a barrister and sue the school, you can make serious money then your sister can laugh at the teacher as she rolls by in her Mercedes
Not that I think the teachers laughing is right but, in their defence, they probably think that she should get to the bus stop earlier if it takes her longer to get to the stop, so it's not really a valid excuse for being late.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by Wahrheit
Yeah but, playing devil's advocate, people do make up excuses which sound just like that. Think back to school and the frequency with which people would facetiously lie about reasons for incomplete homework etc.

More likely than not this was just an unfortunate understanding, much like when somebody does a 'your mum' joke to somebody who's mum is dead. It happens occasionally, and honestly the disability in question is not a valid excuse for missing a bus. It's like saying you were late because there were mobile police cameras so you couldn't speed. To use this disability as an excuse is really, really pushing it, she should have left earlier.

Agreed, I just don't think the teacher should have laughed at her is what I'm saying
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
If I were you I would hire a barrister and sue the school, you can make serious money then your sister can laugh at the teacher as she rolls by in her Mercedes

Sue a teacher for laughing at student being ridiculous? They are probably used to so many students with osgoods, it's not like it's rare nor is it serious. The teacher has got to be laughing at the fact it would be used as a excuse for being late. Even I find it absurd tbh.
Reply 35
Its her fault partly for being late, she should wake up earlier and stuff so she wont need to run. Okay we all accept that.
The more pressing matter is the manner in which the teachers treated the child. It was insensitive and unprofessional (among other things).
You shouldnt let this drop, other children could also be laughed at for similar reasons by the same teacher. definitely send in a formal complaint to the head teacher. Also talk about the issue with the teacher after school. (I said talk, not argue, you wont get anywhere if you show any anger, the teacher will just agree and try to end the conversation as soon as possible, which helps no one since he needs to know why what he did was wrong).
Good luck
It doesn't sound to me as though the teacher was laughing at her condition, but rather your sister's attempt to use it as an excuse for being late, when really she should just leave for the bus earlier.
Original post by Questioness
Sue a teacher for laughing at student being ridiculous? They are probably used to so many students with osgoods, it's not like it's rare nor is it serious. The teacher has got to be laughing at the fact it would be used as a excuse for being late. Even I find it absurd tbh.

Well your not a judge so shut it
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
Well your not a judge so shut it

Don't get all butt hurt over the truth mate. I don't need to be a judge to see some sense :dontknow:.

Why? Your sister is late because she can't get out of the house in time. She is using her condition as an excuse. I would expect ridicule if I used the fact I have asthma as an excuse for being late. She needs to man up and get over it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending