The Student Room Group

Is this monitor alright for gaming?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AOC-I2481FXH-24-Inch-LED-Monitor/dp/B015510P76/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1466713881&sr=8-7&keywords=aoc+monitor
Is this a decent monitor for gaming??

Also is it better to get seperate speakers or in built in your opinion?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
It looks good in my opinion. When I bought my monitor I focused on a decent size, fast response time, and HDMI port, all of which this monitor has. As for the speakers I think it's best to get separate ones as the built-in ones will probably not be great quality.
is fine, half the eastern european kids on csgo still use their box monitors from 1998

wouldnt a headset be better for gaming? especially fps/multiplayer games
Original post by Numero Uno
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AOC-I2481FXH-24-Inch-LED-Monitor/dp/B015510P76/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1466713881&sr=8-7&keywords=aoc+monitor

You can get better monitors for the price, but it's by no means bad. In addition, if you are using the monitor for console gaming the speakers would be fine, but for computer gaming i'd suggest investing in a headset with surround sound, but each to their own.
Reply 4
The monitor is fine OP

Original post by TelAviv
wouldnt a headset be better for gaming? especially fps/multiplayer games

Also this. Gaming with speakers is console pleb tier. And you'll probably keep mummy awake too :^)
Reply 5
Original post by Xelfrost
The monitor is fine OP

Also this. Gaming with speakers is console pleb tier. And you'll probably keep mummy awake too :^)

what u mean should just wear headphones?? and thanks for the feedback :smile:
Reply 6
what u mean should just wear headphones?? and thanks for the feedback :smile:

A headset is different to headphones. Headsets come with microphones and usually have fancy things like surround sound and ****. They're not hugely expensive depending on where you get them from. Although I'm no expert on headsets so you'd have to ask someone else.

Although if you're not desperate to chat with people online while you play a pair of headphones will do as a short term solution.

Yes it's decent for gaming but I think you'd get a better deal with this one (which is the one I bought- 24 inch ): https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005QVZ79C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has a DVI connection which has the best speed, a 5ms response time which is fast, and it's 60Hz meaning you can play games with v-sync on 60fps if your graphics card can handle it. The only downside as compared to yours is that this one does not have sound, so you'd need headset OR speakers with it.

P.S. I'd go for seperare speakers as opposed to built in ones.

P.S.S. I'd recommend a headset with a microphone if you want to play competitive, team based games like CSGO or just chat with friends over Skype, it's a nice thing to have
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by RDKGames
Yes it's decent for gaming but I think you'd get a better deal with this one (which is the one I bought- 24 inch ): https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005QVZ79C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has a DVI connection which has the best speed, a 5ms response time which is fast, and it's 60Hz meaning you can play games with v-sync on 60fps if your graphics card can handle it. The only downside as compared to yours is that this one does not have sound, so you'd need headset OR speakers with it.

P.S.S. I'd recommend a headset with a microphone if you want to play competitive, team based games like CSGO or just chat with friends over Skype, it's a nice thing to have

gotta be honest at the minute i just want it for my 360 and looking for IPS monitor do you know of any others around the same price, would really help, thank you as well!
Reply 9
Original post by RDKGames

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/pc-monitors/pc-monitors/acer-s240hlbid-full-hd-24-led-monitor-21433233-pdt.html
is this the same spec ?
gotta be honest at the minute i just want it for my 360 and looking for IPS monitor do you know of any others around the same price, would really help, thank you as well!

Personally I think you'd be better off just getting a used monitor or tv off eBay or somewhere. Casual gaming on a 360 doesn't really warrant spending £70+ on a monitor since you're unlikely to see much of a difference given the 360's hardware.

Same goes for sound - save yourself the money and get some older speakers or a Turtlebeach headset from 2010ish. I still have mine laying around and the difference is negligible compared to my newer headset
Original post by TelAviv
Personally I think you'd be better off just getting a used monitor or tv off eBay or somewhere. Casual gaming on a 360 doesn't really warrant spending £70+ on a monitor since you're unlikely to see much of a difference given the 360's hardware.

Same goes for sound - save yourself the money and get some older speakers or a Turtlebeach headset from 2010ish. I still have mine laying around and the difference is negligible compared to my newer headset

Yeh thats fair enough but hopefully soonish in the next year or so i would have bought a computer to play some games on there so for the time being it is 360 until i get a decent computer as i have a laptop at the minute.
On the audio note:

Monitor speakers are, without fail, awful. I have a decent pair of Creative desktop speakers (almost 8 years old now) and a great 7.1 headset (Cloud II), and I do use both a lot. It is much better gaming using a headset, but I make use of the speakers more, when I'm watching Netflix and YouTube and listening to music etc.
Original post by Alexion
On the audio note:

Monitor speakers are, without fail, awful. I have a decent pair of Creative desktop speakers (almost 8 years old now) and a great 7.1 headset (Cloud II), and I do use both a lot. It is much better gaming using a headset, but I make use of the speakers more, when I'm watching Netflix and YouTube and listening to music etc.

thanks for that :smile:
Tbh... I would just save up. You can't have a 'buy cheap and upgrade' mentality with monitors.. because trying to sell used cheap monitors is a pain... and you WILL want to get rid of this one when you realise there are other much better monitors out there. Whole heartedly would recommend a 27" 1440p IPS display. If you have the money go for a 4k curved IPS display. But, at 27 and the extra pixels will help greatly. I use my monitors for a lot more than gaming so I do need the extra screen space.

On the speakers note - don't even consider using the monitor ones. My monitor has built in speakers. I only know this because I googled it to find out. I have never used them and nor should you. Speaker wise, the Corsair SP2500 are excellent for their price. Headphones? Pick up some Philips Fidelio X2s and grab a £10 mic. You will need a good soundcard/ DACAMP setup to run the X2s properly but honestly... buying crapis being expensive. You will want something better quickly and you will soon realise it is a false economy. In the long run you most definitely save time and money buying good once.

That is of course not to say cheap =/= bad. If you're on a tight budget look for used deals.
Original post by TrojanH
Tbh... I would just save up. You can't have a 'buy cheap and upgrade' mentality with monitors.. because trying to sell used cheap monitors is a pain... and you WILL want to get rid of this one when you realise there are other much better monitors out there. Whole heartedly would recommend a 27" 1440p IPS display. If you have the money go for a 4k curved IPS display. But, at 27 and the extra pixels will help greatly. I use my monitors for a lot more than gaming so I do need the extra screen space.

On the speakers note - don't even consider using the monitor ones. My monitor has built in speakers. I only know this because I googled it to find out. I have never used them and nor should you. Speaker wise, the Corsair SP2500 are excellent for their price. Headphones? Pick up some Philips Fidelio X2s and grab a £10 mic. You will need a good soundcard/ DACAMP setup to run the X2s properly but honestly... buying crapis being expensive. You will want something better quickly and you will soon realise it is a false economy. In the long run you most definitely save time and money buying good once.

That is of course not to say cheap =/= bad. If you're on a tight budget look for used deals.

yh i get what ur saying thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest