The Student Room Group

The OFFICIAL 'EU Referendum Results ALL NIGHTER' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Friar Chris
What, exactly, do you perceive the EU does for science - in research or industry - for the UK? Because I'm fairly certain that whatever benefit you think it brings, it probably isn't anything to do with the EU.

I have personally worked alongside people whose research funding comes from EU grants like the Marie Curie fellowship. A lot of the work done in our universities comes from these sources and is of immense benefit to our R+D sector. That funding will cease after leaving.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not confident but Remain are pulling it back a bit.
Original post by Proximo
Are any other remainers feeling physically sick...

Cheer up buddy
Original post by tootles44
how is that ironic?

Foreigners wanting to limit immigration.... how is that not ironic?
Original post by Proximo
Can someone give me some good news for the remain side

If Remain loses, the PM must step down. Democratically speaking, it is not right to have someone continue as leader of the country when he was on the other camp throughout the campaign. So the report about 82 MPs having written a letter to the PM, asking his to continue as PM regardless of the outcome of the referendum is plain nonsense.
https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/politics/westminster/955987/boris-johnson-michael-gove-82-mps-sign-letter-asking-david-cameron-stay/
IRISH PERSON on sky news on belfast: Northern ireland leavers more likely to turn up, remainers have been less likely than expected YYYYEEEEESSSSS
Reply 586
Ohh I can't sleep tonight
Original post by Snufkin
If leave win it will be a victory for ignorance, hate and fear. I hope things pick up for remain, feeling very sad right now.

That's just your viewpoint. My viewpoint is that if remain win it will be a win for bureaucrats, corporatism, lobbyists and anyone who is in support of a European superstate.

To suggest its through ignorance, hate and fear is ludicrous. I have met only one remain campaigner who actually has a clue about how the EU is structured and can name a number of EU bureaucrats. The vast majority are voting remain purely to spite the people they hate like Farage.
Original post by cbreef
I mean this could trigger another referendum. He's losing weight lol. The UK and EU are vastly different unions

Yes the EU is far bigger and Scotland has far less of a say. The main difference is those nasty English. It is hypocrisy of gigantic proportions, particularly when you hear the pro EU arguments of SNP politicians.

Posted from TSR Mobile
LAGAN VALLEY has voted to LEAVE
Turnout: 67%
Leave: 53% (25,704)
Remain: 47% (22,710)
LEAVE now leads by 15,872.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by physicsphysics91
Cheer up buddy

I just hope this isn't us just peaking early, how sorely disappointing and demoralising would that be :frown:
I predict many TSR bans in the next 24 hours
Leeds speculated to have voted Leave, one of the larger electorates in the country.
Original post by cbreef
Foreigners wanting to limit immigration.... how is that not ironic?

Limiting is better FOR EVERYONE. Sure shutting borders is bad but limits secure the safety of everyone black,white, Asian, European No matter what you are
Original post by Tempest II
Apparently the weather stopped some people voting in London; if some rain puts you off voting on something as important as the UK's place in the EU (regardless of whether you're an In/Out supporter) then you probably don't deserve to vote....

It took two and a half hours for me to get to work this morning. A journey that usually takes 45 minutes. Two people in my team of seven were physically unable to vote because of timing and travel problems.
Original post by TelAviv
I predict many TSR bans in the next 24 hours

I'm defo getting banned lets be real here
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Ed West:

I share his sentiments.

Exactly. Leavers should be careful what they wish for...
Reply 597
I feel that if I go to bed I'm disappointing DD
Original post by welshiee
Utter rubbish and yet more scaremongering. You can export skills which the service sector relies on.

I am not for or against Brexit, I think the UK economy is ****ed either way. Brexit is better in the sense it will mean the reset happens quicker and we won't have to sacrifice an entire generation whilst dying a slow and inevitable economic death.

Plus the whole idea that we cannot agree trade deals outside the EU is ridiculous.
There are many small (and large) countries who on their own, have managed to get trade deals with the worlds largest economies, deals the EU can only dream of.The top 5 world economies outside of the EU, currently have NO trade deals in place with the EU or any of its 28 countries.

Source: https://aric.adb.org/fta-country

Top 5 rest of the world economies...

1. United States.Has NO free trade deal in place with the EU but does have with..Israel: Israel–United States Free Trade Agreement (incl. Palestinian Authority; 1985) Flag of MexicoFlag of Canada North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) (incl. Canada and Mexico; 1994) Jordan: Jordan–United States Free Trade Agreement (2001) Australia: Australia–United States Free Trade Agreement (2004) Chile: Chile–United States Free Trade Agreement (2004) Singapore: Singapore–United States Free Trade Agreement (2004) Bahrain: Bahrain–United States Free Trade Agreement (2006) Morocco: Morocco-United States Free Trade Agreement (2006) Oman: Oman–United States Free Trade Agreement (2006) Peru: Peru–United States Trade Promotion Agreement (2007) Flag of Costa RicaFlag of El SalvadorFlag of GuatemalaFlag of HondurasFlag of NicaraguaFlag of the Dominican Republic Dominican Republic–Central America Free Trade Agreement (DR-CAFTA; incl. Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and the Dominican Republic; 2005) Panama: Panama–United States Trade Promotion Agreement (2012) Colombia: United States–Colombia Free Trade Agreement (2012) South Korea: United States–Republic of Korea Free Trade Agreement (2012)

2. China.Has NO free trade deal in place with the EU but does have with..China-ASEAN FTAChina-Pakistan FTAChina-Chile FTAChina-New Zealand FTAChina-Singapore FTAChina-Peru FTAMainland and Hong Kong Closer Economic and Partnership ArrangementMainland and Macau Closer Economic and Partnership ArrangementChina-Costa Rica FTAChina-Iceland FTAChina-Switzerland FTAChina-Korea FTAChina-Australia FTA

3. Japan.Has NO free trade deal in place with the EU but does have with..http://www.mofa.go.jp/policy/economy/fta/index.html

4. India.Has NO free trade deal with the EU, but has 28 in place outside of the EU... you get the drift

Regarding your ridiculous suggestion that we can simply just export skills... we're not Singapore. We have 61 million people in this country that demand a baseline level of living (healthcare, pensions etc etc).
This is a very real question that is more complicated than simply saying we can export tertiary sector skills, we are too big for that.
lagan valley vote leave

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending