The Student Room Group

Online Postgraduate courses

I'm looking into doing an online postgraduate degree. It's equivalent to the degree at the University and can also be completed in a year. I work a full time job and they say that it is possible to complete the course in a year alongside work. I was wondering if anyone has or is currently doing an online ciurse whilst working and if so what you would say the work load is like? Any advice on this would be really appreciated. Thanks
Original post by elizabethboorman
It's equivalent to the degree at the University

You need to ask yourself why you want to do this degree. If it's just for your own personal satisfaction and learning, then the above selected sentence has no value. If it's because you want to improve your employment prospects then you need to be certain that employers take the view that it is equivalent to a degree at the University.
An online degree which is completed at the same rate as a full-time course will be very intensive. I would not suggest doing it at the same time as a full-time job.
Reply 3
Original post by elizabethboorman
I'm looking into doing an online postgraduate degree. It's equivalent to the degree at the University and can also be completed in a year. I work a full time job and they say that it is possible to complete the course in a year alongside work. I was wondering if anyone has or is currently doing an online ciurse whilst working and if so what you would say the work load is like? Any advice on this would be really appreciated. Thanks

I am about to finish a postgraduate degree which I did online, while working full time. I can tell you it is possible but it is really hard. And a lot depends on what support you get from your institution, luckily mine was brilliant, and my degree is the same whether you do it online or there. This means the workload is theoretically also exactly the same than a full-time residential degree. However, you might need considerably more time locating sources for essays etc seeing as you can't just pop into the library after seminars. I was lucky that some helpful library staff scanned documents which I needed and sent them to me, but such things depend between institutions and courses.
A masters is a masters whether you do it online or on campus. Same with pgcert and pgdip.

I am doing a part time postgraduate course online and am really enjoying it. If you are confident in your self motivation and writing style, I would say go for it :smile:

Quick Reply