The Student Room Group

To everyone who wanted to remain in the EU

Just to make a few things clear to all you hardcore remain supporters,
-we live in a democracy so you accept the decision made by the whole population rather than spout this nonsense that you're going to leave the uk. Where are you going to go? You'll no longer be able to move to Europe easily and it's not exactly easy to get into places like the USA, Australia and Canada unless you have skills in a trade that they want

-this vote isn't the fault of the elderly people so stop blaming them, i am 18 and voted leave as did many other young people so stop bashing the elderly who had just as much of a right to vote as you

-no the voting age shouldn't have been lowered to 16. Yes the decision are likely to affect you for a lot longer but there has to be a cut off age somewhere. 16 year olds lack life experience and let's face it, you've just finished your GCSEs, what do you actually know about politics? 16 year olds were allowed to vote in the Scottish referendum because younger people are a lot easier to scare into voting remain because they're told that there will be dire consequences otherwise.

-yes the value of the pound has fallen but considering we have been running a balance of payments deficit for many years, this isn't entirely a bad thing.

-people who vote leave because they want to control immigration aren't racist. The U.K. Is overpopulated, there are enough jobs, houses, school places etc. We can't afford to pay the people who cannot find jobs. This isn't racism, this is sensible thinking. Our country is simply at full capacity and until we can grow, we don't have the room for more people.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Majority of the people who voted out, only did it because of he iigrtion issue, no feel regarding the economy, seems like its going to go tits up :s-smilie:
Reply 2
Original post by ikhan94
Majority of the people who voted out, only did it because of he iigrtion issue, no feel regarding the economy, seems like its going to go tits up :s-smilie:

Immigration was a big issue though so it wouldn't be surprising if a lot of people based their decisions on this.
I didn't and I believe that in the next ten years, this decision will prove to be the best thing for britsins economy.
Reply 3
There is always going to be a dip during uncertain times. It's better to get out the EU before its inevitable collapse when it would be far more damaging for the UK. Our economy also shouldn't be based around the uncontrolled, free movement of 500 million people. This is the start of redressing the balance.
Reply 4
Dunno about the others because I haven't looked into it, but it's not really hard at all to go to Canada. Australia is probably similar, USA a fair bit harder

Yes it clearly was the older voters fault. Obviously some young people voted leave but overall the under 50s were 60% remain or something, it's the olders that swung it.
Reply 5
Original post by ikhan94

how
Reply 6
Original post by 09craige
-we live in a democracy so you accept the decision made by the whole population rather than spout this nonsense that you're going to leave the uk. Where are you going to go? You'll no longer be able to move to Europe easily and it's not exactly easy to get into places like the USA, Australia and Canada unless you have skills in a trade that they want

-this vote isn't the fault of the elderly people so stop blaming them, i am 18 and voted leave as did many other young people so stop bashing the elderly who had just as much of a right to vote as you

-no the voting age shouldn't have been lowered to 16. Yes the decision are likely to affect you for a lot longer but there has to be a cut off age somewhere. 16 year olds lack life experience and let's face it, you've just finished your GCSEs, what do you actually know about politics? 16 year olds were allowed to vote in the Scottish referendum because younger people are a lot easier to scare into voting remain because they're told that there will be dire consequences otherwise.

-yes the value of the pound has fallen but considering we have been running a balance of payments deficit for many years, this isn't entirely a bad thing.

-people who vote leave because they want to control immigration aren't racist. The U.K. Is overpopulated, there are enough jobs, houses, school places etc. We can't afford to pay the people who cannot find jobs. This isn't racism, this is sensible thinking. Our country is simply at full capacity and until we can grow, we don't have the room for more people.

As someone that voted to remain, I completely agree with what you are saying bravo

Posted from TSR Mobile
To refute your points.

Actually, I can move abroad, as can many other people. Sure, you can sneer at those without the skills required by other countries, but it's been a fact for a long time that this country struggles to retain talented and skilled workers, and the leave campaign is only going to exacerbate this. That said, I doubt many will put their money where their mouth it.

The vote shows that the elderly were primarily pro leave while the youngsters were primarily vote remain, but I'm unsure why we're shocked, when haven't the baby boomers screwed us at every turn?

Frankly, the average 30+ year old has no clue about politics or where to vote, so I don't really follow your reasoning that a 16 year old can't, yet they can be trusted to make serious decisions about the rest of their life. The Scottish referendum allowed 16 year olds to vote and plenty had very high quality discussions on the subject. Sure, plenty of them were ignorant and just voted at random, but clearly this happens within all age groups.

I'm certain the pound crashing is obviously a good thing. I mean it isn't like one of the reasons cited to leave was the crashing of the Euro? Currency crashes are super!

Voting leave doesn't make you racist or xenophobic, no. It's by no means "the sensible thing" though. Incidentally, while not all leavers are racist, I have noticed that all racists tend to be leavers.
Independance day 😁
Reply 9
Original post by nersha
There is always going to be a dip during uncertain times. It's better to get out the EU before its inevitable collapse when it would be far more damaging for the UK. Our economy also shouldn't be based around the uncontrolled, free movement of 500 million people. This is the start of redressing the balance.

Exactly, the pound has only fallen because everyone is uncertain. As soon as we
Pick up, the value will increase again. Currencies experience fluctuations anyway
Reply 10
Original post by difeo
Dunno about the others because I haven't looked into it, but it's not really hard at all to go to Canada. Australia is probably similar, USA a fair bit harder

Yes it clearly was the older voters fault. Obviously some young people voted leave but overall the under 50s were 60% remain or something, it's the olders that swung it.

Australia is extremely difficult to get into.
Not every old person voted leave, and if they did, that was their decision.

^This.

And what, life "experience" have you picked up within those two years after being 16?
Reply 13
Australia is extremely difficult to get into.
Not every old person voted leave, and if they did, that was their decision.

No ****, that doesn't respond to my point at all
Reply 14
Original post by Altun63
As someone that voted to remain, I completely agree with what you are saying bravo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, I just want everyone to accept that we all made out own choices and we have to accept what the majority vote was. Plus, I don't think people who voted leave should be told that should die because this is a democratic society
what happens now?
you do realize we won't have more control over our border?
and that 190million we send to Euro would be just spent to access the european market instead.
to access the European market, we also need to apply to their regulation e.g. "Open the border".
vote leave is just a lose lose solution
Reply 17
Original post by KnightCode
you do realize we won't have more control over our border?
and that 190million we send to Euro would be just spent to access the european market instead.
to access the European market, we also need to apply to their regulation e.g. "Open the border".
vote leave is just a lose lose solution

No we won't. Does South Korea have open borders with the EU?
Thank you, I just want everyone to accept that we all made out own choices and we have to accept what the majority vote was. Plus, I don't think people who voted leave should be told that should die because this is a democratic society

You're aware that accepting the country is doomed and moving abroad IS accepting the outcome right?

Complaining about a fix and demanding a second referendum is denying it.

No one should be told to die over their politics and exercising their right to vote, however disagreeably they used it.
Screw democracy. The uneducated right-wing emotional mob screwing over the nation again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending