The Student Room Group

To everyone who wanted to remain in the EU

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Dann.It
And what, life "experience" have you picked up within those two years after being 16?

I'm not saying I have but there does have to be a cut off point somewhere. If anything, I think the age should be raised.
Original post by nersha
No we won't. Does South Korea have open borders with the EU?

Why would EU care about South Korea's border?
It is Germany, France, UK, Italy and other countries that are dealing with the immigration crisis.

We are at the hands of the EU when applying for the single market.
Don't be surprised if they use this moment of weakness to their liking.
Reply 22
Original post by KnightCode
Why would EU care about South Korea's border?
It is Germany, France, UK, Italy and other countries that are dealing with the immigration crisis.

We are at the hands of the EU when applying for the single market.
Don't be surprised if they use this moment of weakness to their liking.

South Korea has a free trade agreement.

£0 EU contributions
No free movement of people

Canada has a free trade agreement.
£0 EU contributionsNo free movement of people

See where I'm going with this?
Reply 23
How exactly does an 18 year old differ from a 16 year old in experience? :O

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *Stefan*

Posted from TSR Mobile

a lot :wink:
but yeah i assume a minority of 16 years old are experienced and acknowledged but the majority aren't and are easy to delude and use them
I think we'll be fine without the EU. In the short term, there will be problems but in the long term it will be fine, maybe better.
Reply 26

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not saying that I do but by saying an 18 year old doesn't have much more experience than a sixteen year old and that we should let sixteen year olds vote then we'll sixteen year olds don't have that much more experience than 14 year olds and hey why not let twelve year olds vote too? There has to be a cut off point somewhere and at eighteen, only those who are legal adults may vote.
Reply 27
a lot :wink:
but yeah i assume a minority of 16 years old are experienced and acknowledged but the majority aren't and are easy to delude and use them

You're kidding yourself if you think an ALevel/first year undergraduate differs from a GCSE or another A-level student.
Reply 28
Original post by 09craige
I'm not saying that I do but by saying an 18 year old doesn't have much more experience than a sixteen year old and that we should let sixteen year olds vote then we'll sixteen year olds don't have that much more experience than 14 year olds and hey why not let twelve year olds vote too? There has to be a cut off point somewhere and at eighteen, only those who are legal adults may vote.

Anyone 16+ can join the army. That should be the voting age too. End of.

You don't represent every 16 years old. Not every 16 years old wants to join the army or is as acknowledged as you.
Don't say End of. if you can't have a debate, u 16
Reply 30
You don't represent every 16 years old. Not every 16 years old wants to join the army or is as acknowledged as you.
Don't say End of. if you can't have a debate, u 16

That makes no sense. Like anything Leave related.

The fact that a 16 year old does not want to join the army is irrelevant. They can join if they want.

Similarly, they wouldn't have to vote. But they should be able to if they wanted.

Not a difficult logic to grasp.
Original post by nersha
South Korea has a free trade agreement.

£0 EU contributions
No free movement of people

Canada has a free trade agreement.
£0 EU contributionsNo free movement of people

See where I'm going with this?

Goods not services.

Our economy is 80% services.
Reply 32
Original post by JamesN88
Goods not services.

Our economy is 80% services.

Within the 'Single Market' services are not even 100% liberalised like goods. AKA we don't even have full access with services right now.

http://openeurope.org.uk/intelligence/economic-policy-and-trade/single-market-in-services/

But you won't be deployed to the front line until 18 if I remember correctly.
Reply 34

You become a legal adult at the age of 18. That should be the minimum legal voting age.
What does being in the army having anything to do with being able to vote?
Reply 35
Original post by 09craige
You become a legal adult at the age of 18. That should be the minimum legal voting age.
What does being in the army having anything to do with being able to vote?

I don't know. Perhaps when someone can join the freaking ARMY they should be able to also decide for their future...?

They're mature enough for the former, but not for the latter?
Reply 36
I don't know. Perhaps when someone can join the freaking ARMY they should be able to also decide for their future...?

They're mature enough for the former, but not for the latter?

Yang one can join the army as long as they are fit, it doesn't prove anything about their mental capacity. Also, they won't even be deployed until they are 18 because they are still legally considered a child.

Quick Reply

Latest