The Student Room Group

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by AnnieGakusei
Well here's a surprise... Remainers who don't understand democracy... :colonhash:

Using a government petition website is not democracy?

The whole point is that the country can decide, tomorrow, that is wants another referendum. If that isn't democracy, then what is? We've made a choice so we shouldn't talk about it ever again?
Original post by offhegoes
Using a government petition website is not democracy?

The whole point is that the country can decide, tomorrow, that is wants another referendum. If that isn't democracy, then what is? We've made a choice so we shouldn't talk about it ever again?

If we voted to leave, it's stupid to ask for another referendum immediately and just makes Remain look like sore losers. If the people who are petitioning are butthurt because they didn't vote, then that's their fault for being complacent. If they're butthurt because they did vote and didn't get what they wanted, what's to say next time round will be any different?
Woah, already there are almost 80,000 signatures. Damn. There may be a second one at this rate.
If we have a second referendum, I'm moving to another country because I'm already sick of the campaigns and them trying to scare us into voting one way or another.
Reply 44
Original post by AnnieGakusei
If we voted to leave, it's stupid to ask for another referendum immediately and just makes Remain look like sore losers. If the people who are petitioning are butthurt because they didn't vote, then that's their fault for being complacent. If they're butthurt because they did vote and didn't get what they wanted, what's to say next time round will be any different?

All of that may be true, but it would be undemocratic to say that people can't ask for another referendum. Of course I wouldn't expect there to be anywhere near enough support for it to happen.
Reply 45
Original post by Drewski
Except everyone in the EU has said there's no chance that's going to happen.

Now what?

You seem old enough to know that there is a difference between what European politicians say and what they actually do.
Original post by Josb
You seem old enough to know that there is a difference between what European politicians say and what they actually do.

But they can't.

They can't give us ever more favourable terms at a time when a great deal of other key members are also thinking about referenda. The EU will be massively shooting themselves in the foot if they go back on their word and make it 'good' for us. They simply can't afford to do it. It would be turkeys voting for Christmas.
Reply 47
Original post by Drewski
But they can't.

They can't give us ever more favourable terms at a time when a great deal of other key members are also thinking about referenda. The EU will be massively shooting themselves in the foot if they go back on their word and make it 'good' for us. They simply can't afford to do it. It would be turkeys voting for Christmas.

Turkey! Fear! Panic!

Oh... those turkeys... :getmecoat:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Original post by Drewski
But they can't.

This wouldn't be the first stupid thing the EU has done.
So a bunch of remain supporters are upset that democracy hasn't got them the result they wanted and they think they can just have a second go. Would these people be sympathetic to the brexit camp if the result was remain and they called for a second referendum? Somehow I doubt it.

And going by the turnout argument in the petition, most governments in this country would not be considered legitimate considering the turnout at general elections and the % of the vote the governing party tends to get.
If you sign this petition, you hate democracy and should probably
Move to Saudi Arabia or NK.
Reply 51
Original post by atom y humber

No, you see those sufficiently concerned about this outcome to sign a petition that sadly is never going to succeed are trying to not be stranded in a country inhabited by intolerant people.
Reply 52
Original post by atom y humber

couldn't agree more. All these people going about democracy yet are acting all butthurt just because the Vote remain side didn't win. If you do not like democracy, do the honourable thing and get out of this country and piss off to somewhere like Egypt or North Korea where you are shot for having a differing opinion
Of course people who support Remain would want another vote. But had remain won, the Brexiters would also have wanted to vote again. Just under 50% of people who voted will be unhappy, but just over 50% will be happy. Another referendum won't change this, if anything it could upset more people. It's hypocritical for those who didn't vote to try and get anther referendum so that they can vote, they should have voted in the first place. I voted, and yes I am unhappy with the result. But if we had stayed there would be just as many people complaining. Brexit won fair and square, we have to accept it and move on. And have faith that the MAJORITY of those who voted in our country were correct, even if we disagree. There are always two sides to an argument, and more often than not one is wrong... who is to say the winner is always right, they just convinced the right people at the right time.
Original post by InadequateJusticex
I voted Remain but I think this petition is pointless. Leave won fair and square - let this be a lesson for people (in general) to take referendums and elections seriously and actually vote. Hopefully it sinks in by the time the next general election is upon us and we don't destroy this country any further.

They won with 52%. 48% of the population didn't want this. It should take more than 52% of the electorate to bring about massive, irreversible, potentially disastrous change.

Original post by celloel
Leave won in a fair and democratic referendum.
Calling for a petition just because you didn't get the result you wanted is not how democracy works. Grow up.

Grow up? Yeah, people who want a functioning economy and don't want to go through years of irreversible change are so immature.
I doubt this will happen.This referendum was supposed to be a once in a lifetime thing.
Original post by JordanL_
They won with 52%. 48% of the population didn't want this. It should take more than 52% of the electorate to bring about massive, irreversible, potentially disastrous change.

Grow up? Yeah, people who want a functioning economy and don't want to go through years of irreversible change are so immature.

Polls predicted a 52% remain win, which would have been disastrous in the long term.
Original post by TheFarmerLad
This is worse and more hilarious than the Edexcell C1 petition.

we need a Hitler Reacts to Brexit video...

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/7w0BDO4fYEQ/maxresdefault.jpg
Stfu. We won fair and square. Get rekt lads

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending