The Student Room Group

Scottish 2nd referendum is coming

Just announced by Nicola Sturgeon, no confirmed date, but some time before we officially leave the EU.

This is the start of the break-up of the UK. Northern Ireland will follow.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Link? I mean we knew it was coming, but I wasn't expecting it quite so soon.
Original post by Elivercury
Link? I mean we knew it was coming, but I wasn't expecting it quite so soon.

watching live on sky news, but

https://twitter.com/BBCVickiYoung/status/746289865298444288?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
So Scottish people who voted to remain in the UK in 2014, will you vote to leave in the 2nd referendum?
We still have the Commonwealth though?

Thanks.

Now to pray that staying in EU will still be on the table if we do it quick enough.
It's time London became independent too
Original post by JamieBriggs
So Scottish people who voted to remain in the UK in 2014, will you vote to leave in the 2nd referendum?

I asked this question earlier.

The only response I got was "This doesn't make sense".

A big factor will be whether Scotland would be able to remain in the EU or have to join at a new member.
Original post by alevelstresss
Just announced by Nicola Sturgeon, no confirmed date, but some time before we officially leave the EU.

This is the start of the break-up of the UK. Northern Ireland will follow.

Sturgeon does not have the power to call a binding independence referendum. For the moment, NI will always vote to remain in the UK because of the inbuilt unionist majority.

Scots will have a tough choice, whether to leave their largest trading partner/customs union in order to join a more distant one of lesser economic significance (and with very complicated currency issues to wrestle with).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by queen-bee
It's time London became independent too

Exactly all these British are stealing our jobs 😂 What has happened to humanity?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Putin will soon be offering us his own referendum...
Original post by Good bloke
Sturgeon does not have the power to call a binding independence referendum. For the moment, NI will always vote to remain in the UK because of the inbuilt unionist majority.

Sorry but Scotland right now are preparing for a second referendum, if you are pretentious and try to reword it, it won't make the difference. She just gave a speech and a '2nd referendum is definitely on the table'. It will happen, and when it does, it'll be our sovreignty on the table when leaving was supposed to 'get it back' :rofl:

She doesn't, but she can start the motions. There is no prime minister and if anyone tries to stop the motion there will be riots.

EDIT: Just saw your edit. It isn't a tough choice, why would you choose the sinking rUK over the EU? You'd have to be insane to.
(edited 7 years ago)
Spain has also began to encroach on Gibraltar, and will use its seat on the negotiation table to press for control.

I voted Remain, but would not vote for independence.
She doesn't, but she can start the motions. There is no prime minister and if anyone tries to stop the motion there will be riots.

There is a prime minister, and threatening violence during a time of transition is not clever.
The union is crumbling maaaaaan
There is a prime minister, and threatening violence during a time of transition is not clever.

Is there? Who? Cameron has gone.

Suppressing the political will and rights of millions of people after they've been shafted isn't clever. It can lead to violence. I'm not threatening anything, simply stating what will happen.
why would you choose the sinking rUK over the EU? You'd have to be insane to.

Take a look at how much of Scotland's trade is with the UK, compare it to how much is with the rest of the EU, factor in how oil revenue is going and then think again.

Scottish trade with the UK is more than four times that with the EU. Even trade with the non-EU countries is higher the EU trade. Scotland's biggest extra-UK trade partner is the USA.
Reply 19

I'm a No who will likely become a Yes depending on what signals we get from the EU about that nature of Scotland joining.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending