The Student Room Group

Why we are shocked to be screwed over by baby boomers?

I for one am not especially chuffed with the result from last night.

Ultimately though, I think the biggest question is: Why do we continue to be surprised when baby boomers screw us over at absolutely every opportunity?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What are you saying?
Care to elaborate?
Certainly true with housing as well.

Misfortune I suppose.
Original post by Elivercury

Ultimately though, I think the biggest question is: Why do we continue to be surprised when baby boomers screw us over at absolutely every opportunity?

They did not screw you over. They saved your arse. They rescued you. You were about to fall into a dictatorship, you were about to be conned into giving your money and laws away, and they rescued you. Be grateful.
Reply 4
Well I mean they've screwed our pensions, house prices, our jobs and many other things, making us leave the EU is just the icing on the cake.

@Naveed-7 just because you are incapable of understanding the difference between a dictatorship and democracy doesn't make the EU a dictatorship. We've been screwed and it's as simple as that.
Well I mean they've screwed our pensions, house prices, our jobs and many other things, making us leave the EU is just the icing on the cake.

@Naveed-7 just because you are incapable of understanding the difference between a dictatorship and democracy doesn't make the EU a dictatorship. We've been screwed and it's as simple as that.

We dont know that yet. Its only been about 5 hours since the results.
We have to wait a few weeks to see the positive changes.
Reply 6
Original post by Naveed-7
We dont know that yet. Its only been about 5 hours since the results.
We have to wait a few weeks to see the positive changes.

Naveed, the baby boomers have done that to use over the past 30 years, not the past 5 hours. It was true long before the referendum. Unsure how this is the first you're hearing of it tbh.
Reply 7
People shouldn't be able to vote in the 2 years before their death.
Original post by Josb
People shouldn't be able to vote in the 2 years before their death.

How would one know that they're going to die 2 years later though...? :s-smilie::colonhash:
Reply 9
Original post by chemting
How would one know that they're going to die 2 years later though...? :s-smilie::colonhash:

I don't know. Ask those who say that old people have screwed us.
Agreed.

Their parents/Grandparents fought wars and eventually laid the path for peace. The baby boomers were born into a more peaceful world, especially Europe. Not only that but they had free healthcare, social services, cheap houses and extensive job opportunities with extensive opportunities to borrow cheap capital. We don't.

Instead we have to live with the poor decision they have made and continue to make. And they judge us by different standards, through ignorance.
Original post by Josb
I don't know. Ask those who say that old people have screwed us.

Oh. That's disappointing.

Thought you were on the verge of a multi-trillion dollar invention.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Look they've only screwed us over in respect of:

- the economy
- pensions
- NHS
- student finance for Uni
- environment
- housing
- political relationship with Europe

It wasn't just the older generation who voted Leave, stop blaming it just on them.
Reply 14

Over 65s should have to pass a medical in order to keep their vote.
Original post by AnnieGakusei
It wasn't just the older generation who voted Leave, stop blaming it just on them.

I never claimed it was. However they were heavily in favour of leave, while the young were heavily in favour of remain. They are the clear contributors to the leave victory.

Incidentally the young leave voters have also screwed us, they just haven't been screwing us for decades already, like the baby boomers have.

Well if they vote Leave we discount their vote and kill them within the next 2 years.

Saves our NHS too :dontknow:
Those who are 65+ shouldn't be allowed to vote on such an important issue. It's as simple as that. Call it what you want, but it's just not fair on those (18-50 year olds) that voted largely in favour of remain.
Original post by Naveed-7
They did not screw you over. They saved your arse. They rescued you. You were about to fall into a dictatorship, you were about to be conned into giving your money and laws away, and they rescued you. Be grateful.

Totes grateful for being a slave to the rental market for an eternity.
Original post by AnnieGakusei

I'm aware i already replied but wanted to update. Having calmed down and thought about it, I've decided it was unfair to blame the old. For starters they're just citing what they believe, whether i agree with it or not, but mostly what they've done is bother showing up to vote.

Had the same proportion of young people turned up to vote at 3:1 for remain as older people did for leave, it would have been a remain win. So really my issue should be with young voter apathy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending