The Student Room Group

June 24th: 'UK Independence Day'. The People of Great Britain Have Spoken. Now What?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Foo.mp3
Now is not a time for puerile/jubilant triumphalism. Instead, we must focus on dampening the fires of hysteria, restoring confidence, reuniting the nation behind a positive vision of a prosperous future UK, and collectively taking the country forward in a calm, considered, and responsible spirit

This means holding politicians well and truly to account, going forward, and ensuring that we mitigate risk and ward off the circling vultures preventing them from capitalising on/worsening societal conditions e.g. in terms of rights, freedoms, inequality, spatial deprivation, and division

Whichever way we voted rich or poor, young or old, urbanites or rural folk, North, South, East, or West and whatever our reasons for doing so, it now falls to each and every Brit to make the most of our revitalised Democratic powers, for the common good and in the national interest

We will pause before changing our leadership and effecting withdrawal under Article 50; let’s each and every one of us support the public/private/third sectors in making the most of this time by steadying the ship and charting a sensible course through uncharted waters

Britannia, Unite

Spot on! This would have been equally true if the vote had gone the other way, of course.
Reply 21
The independence of United England and Wales you mean...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alevelstresss
Now its time to back peddle and make excuses when Scotland/Northern Ireland leave us, and when we lose the very 'sovreignty' that you idiots were trying to re-gain :rolleyes:

It takes years for a country to be assimilated into the EU and without net contributions from the UK it will be very difficult for NI or Scotland to join given the London subsidises both of those colonies they would lose if they attempt to breakaway.
There's a desperate need for common sense, rationale thought and for people to take a step back and breathe.

There's far too little of it on this site.
Reply 24
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
It takes years for a country to be assimilated into the EU and without net contributions from the UK it will be very difficult for NI or Scotland to join given the London subsidises both of those colonies they would lose if they attempt to breakaway.

Many people in Scotland just want to have some say over their future. They perhaps could do with a catchy slogan like, let's say, "Take back control."

Scotland will go, you should concentrate your efforts instead on the London issue.
Original post by offhegoes
Many people in Scotland just want to have some say over their future. They perhaps could do with a catchy slogan like, let's say, "Take back control."

Scotland will go, you should concentrate your efforts instead on the London issue.

I'm sure the Germans and French will be very happy to tax their voters even more to prop up that tiny little oil addicted nation.
Original post by queen-bee
Honey,the union is crumbling. Scotland don't want to be apart of it anymore and next thing you know,Northern Ireland will want to hold an independance referendum. Londoners too want to hold a referendum on London indepence. Sad times

Northern Ireland? Northern Ireland is ruled by a unionist government and the advocates of a Northern Irish referendum are Sinn Fein who are a minority in that country. Also, more than 40% of Londoners chose to leave the EU which is definitely not a majority enough to consider a London referendum. Stop scaremongering.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jake4198
Northern Ireland? Northern Ireland is ruled by a unionist government and the advocates of a Northern Irish referendum are Sinn Fein who are a minority in that country.

A unionist government which is very pro EU.
Original post by queen-bee
Honey,the union is crumbling. Scotland don't want to be apart of it anymore and next thing you know,Northern Ireland will want to hold an independance referendum. Londoners too want to hold a referendum on London indepence. Sad times

I see people are finding it hard to let go of project fear even as it's showing itself to be a load of *******s

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 16characterlimit
A unionist government which is very pro EU.

What? You're misinformed. The DUP is openly Eurosceptic and the UUP is about as Eurosceptic as the Conservatives.
Reply 30
I'm sure the Germans and French will be very happy to tax their voters even more to prop up that tiny little oil addicted nation.

Well, Scotland does have an estimated 60% of EU oil reserves.

Scotland is also very progressive when it comes to renewable energy sources.

That is assuming Scotland has to leave?

Just because the vote has been passed, doesn't mean we've left the EU, it's possible Scotland could remain while rUK leaves.

How plausible this is remains to be seen. If it isn't plausible (and sadly I suspect it will not be) then you are correct it will take us years. But then, it'll take years to leave the UK also.
Well, Scotland does have an estimated 60% of EU oil reserves.

Scotland is also very progressive when it comes to renewable energy sources.

If they wish to contest it, I would advocate sending the royal navy in, it's that simple.
Reply 33
Original post by Jammy Duel
I see people are finding it hard to let go of project fear even as it's showing itself to be a load of *******s

Posted from TSR Mobile

So whilst Remain's predictions of instability in the pound and UK economy are, so far, certainly not being shown to be incorrect, Leave's Farage is busy explaining that, actually, the NHS won't be getting £350m a week as Boris' bus says, and that that was a mistake.
Original post by Elivercury
That is assuming Scotland has to leave?

Just because the vote has been passed, doesn't mean we've left the EU, it's possible Scotland could remain while rUK leaves.

How plausible this is remains to be seen. If it isn't plausible (and sadly I suspect it will not be) then you are correct it will take us years. But then, it'll take years to leave the UK also.

That would be a fascinating idea I would love this country to look into. Allowing Scotland and Northern Ireland to remain in the UK and the EU could open up huge possibilities for their economic growth and spread some of the UK's wealth from the City to the other nations. I really like this.
Reply 35
If they wish to contest it, I would advocate sending the royal navy in, it's that simple.

Haha, good stuff.

In all honesty, Scotland would probably give it up if that was what was needed for independence and joining the EU.
Haha, good stuff.

In all honesty, Scotland would probably give it up if that was what was needed for independence and joining the EU.

Oil and gas is the main sector of their economy, as global dependence on fossil fuels is gradually phased out, they will have to mooch of someone, be it the UK or the EU. The EU is not in great shape at all right now, arguably worse than this country which is why I am optimistic that we will get trade deals and free movement with the EU as deals are banged out.
So whilst Remain's predictions of instability in the pound and UK economy are, so far, certainly not being shown to be incorrect, Leave's Farage is busy explaining that, actually, the NHS won't be getting £350m a week as Boris' bus says, and that that was a mistake

We were told the pound would fall over 20% it fell by no more than 8pc, depending on when you take it from...

Posted from TSR Mobile
That would be a fascinating idea I would love this country to look into. Allowing Scotland and Northern Ireland to remain in the UK and the EU could open up huge possibilities for their economic growth and spread some of the UK's wealth from the City to the other nations. I really like this.

Except in my example Scotland would have left the UK to be part of Europe.

But the situation you describe would certainly be an interesting one. I imagine it would result in a very large number of company headquarters moving from London to Edinburgh. In many respects I imagine it would function similarly to Norway/Sweden with their alliance.
Original post by Elivercury
Except in my example Scotland would have left the UK to be part of Europe.

But the situation you describe would certainly be an interesting one. I imagine it would result in a very large number of company headquarters moving from London to Edinburgh. In many respects I imagine it would function similarly to Norway/Sweden with their alliance.

This is why I think it would be a win-win all round to allow Scotland to straddle both. Edinburgh could become this financial powerhouse similar to London whilst the UK maintains a diversified economy.

Quick Reply

Latest