The Student Room Group

How do I start a startup?

I am a healthcare professional who works in the UK, however I am not happy with my line of work (graduated when I was 21 and am 24 atm). I do have the options of going into grad entry medicine or dentistry but want to start a tech company instead.

the reason I want to start a tech startup is because I have been toying with some ideas which I have been wanting to develop for the last few years, which can be beneficial for device users, but I am not a programmer
(I know the basics of html5,css3, js and node.js from code academy + have basic/intermediate level proficiency in C#6.0. I have also used python i for my Masters disso but that was in 2012/13).

thing is...I have no idea about how to start a business (other than it being a LTD business not unlimited), how much budget I would require (I am sadly working on weekends due to the lack of work I can find (thank you jeremy hunt for not restricting numbers ) but working weekends as a healthcare professional means I am getting paid more than 3 times what most people earn for a saturday/sunday job) and how much staff to require (ideally I would like to recruit 2 programmers who know swift 2.0, html5, css3, latest javascript, c#, and either MySQL/MongoDb (or both).

I have tried booking a meeting with my uni in the past but the guy was a ****ing dick who a) teleconferenceed, and b), despite knowing I was asking for help as to how to start a business / work in an incubator / seeking mentoring, was literally reiterating points I had already written down and was willing to discuss but just didnt want to listen to what I had to say. (I think race / religion might be involved but I wont say anything)
I am not saying what the ideas are (non-disclosures dont apply for forums sadly) but would be grateful for any info about how to start a tech startup.

thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi @ranchovirus I'm currently in the process of developing my startup called xperience go (well I'm on a break currently because A levels but eh).
I would advise trying to get a angel investor/mentor and applying to as many investment competitions as possible to gain the funding. It would also be useful if you try getting in a group of fellow start up goers so you can all support each other and help each other out when you get stuck. I was really lucky because I started mine during a summer programme last year and found that support of a group of people really helpful when I got stuck when coding and just generally.

I would recommend places such as O2gothink big which I think is offering £300 to help startup ideas

Good luck and feel free to message me if you have any questions!
Hello

I can help as I'm in my 3rd year starting my tech business.

Private message me and I can help guide you in the right direction

Hitesh

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you only have an idea, you don't have a tech business. No one will invest in an idea. What you need is a prototype. You mentioned hiring developers but bear in mind there is fierce competition for developers. A grad will cost you £25k+ PA based on location and a contractor will be £300+ a day. If I were you, I would learn the technologies you need and go from there. Unless you can get friends and family to invest in your idea it will stay just an idea and in a crowded market place, making your offering pay in the long term will be very challenging. Personally I would do something else but I am rather risk adverse.
Hello

Curious to know how you are getting on?

Hitesh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
First of all, create an MVP (minimum valuable product). It can be as simple as one single page describing your product and see if it gets interesting (emails/signups/followers) and after that you can email your future users and they will help you mould your idea. After all, you have to build your startup giving what your users want to.

I created mine, got featured in great newspapers, but the users went away.

I can share some experience acquired during this process.

Leo
I think there is a fund that you can apply to for funding, obviously, you need to get accepted. Worth asking in the Job Centre.
Without something concrete you don't really have a business. One doesn't start up a company and then start developing an ideas. You need to take your idea and do some really good market research. You also need to find out if it is viable to develop. Ideally, you will develop some sort of prototype. If you have something you can show, then you can look around for investors and people who can help you. But if you simply pitch an idea either your idea will be stolen or it will be seen as too big a risk to invest in.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending