The Student Room Group

The immense stupidity of the young idealistic Remain vote

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chloe_bellz
Not sure what FTA stands for in that context-free trade agreement, free travel agreement?

Free Trade
Original post by Moodicrus
Forgive me if this has already been asked but why would most economists be wrong to believe we should stay?
I think the EU is pretty ****, but it's the lesser of 2 evils. We have stability in the EU, and the single market prevents labour immobility
But hopefully after this referendum we should be able to negotiate new trade deals. The whole thing about immigration I don't really agree with because there are so many high skilled workers who come from the EU. Without medical practitioners the NHS would be even more worse off than it is now. Also, we are not magically going to have more money if we leave the EU. Yes small businesses will benefit from less competition, but that benefit would be by no means evenly distributed. Fields like research would suffer because we get a lot of funding and many great minds from the EU. Also, the EU ends up giving a lot of money we give them, back into the UK though bursaries etc.In the short term I have absolutely no doubt that there would be a recession because it takes time to negotiate trade deals and countries may be more reluctant, now that we aren't part of the EU. On the other hand I can understand why sovereignty is such a prevalent issue for many people and the EU is run by people whom we can't even vote on or out if we choose to and they end up making laws ( though I suspect not as many as Nigel Farage is saying) for the UKThe issue about refugees is concerning as although Turkey aren't very close to gaining EU membership, even if they did come close there's no way the UK would veto because they are a critical NATO member so we would be fool to piss them off. The free movement of labour means its ridiculously easy for terrorists to come into the country through Europe. The only way to control our borders is to reduce EU influence, whether that's through leaving the EU or renegotiating I really am not convinced either way :/. Can someone help sway my opinion? Also, all the lies that the Remain campaign have told means that I really dont trust them at all

Firstly, hi! The EU president has said no more reforms-what we have now is the one we have to stay with if we remain. Turkey is close to getting a deal, it was revealed that talks were close to finalising the final steps of securing a deal (without passing it) but that's another lie the remain has said. Fields like research wouldn't suffer massively, as the UK would still have access to medical journals-the EU would not be allowed to bar UK medical professionals from accessing trials or runs of new medicines, it would be slower but we would have access to cutting edge medical trials in the USA, Japan and Australia if we leave. The NHS staff will not be vastly affected, many come from outside the EU and have work documents-my aunty is a GP from the Phillipines, so I know this for a fact. The NHS will also be eased by the reduced immigrant flow and cuts and the EU want us to join TTIP which would allow US companies to bid in the NHS, allowing privatisation to occur. Immigration, the thing is, leave campaigners are wanting a points based system-where skilled workers are allowed in, but not everyone (so people without skills are not allowed in unless they are under threat) like Australia. Does this help? :smile: You have until 10 to make a difference!
Firstly, hi! The EU president has said no more reforms-what we have now is the one we have to stay with if we remain.

Nope. You should read what he said, because he didn't say that.

Turkey is close to getting a deal, it was revealed that talks were close to finalising the final steps of securing a deal (without passing it) but that's another lie the remain has said.

Any single country could veto Turkey from joining, and multiple countries have already said they intend to.

The NHS will also be eased by the reduced immigrant flow and cuts

No, it won't. EU immigrants bring in 34% more in taxes than they take in welfare and services, while British natives take more than they bring in. EU immigrants are the only thing keeping the NHS afloat.

and the EU want us to join TTIP which would allow US companies to bid in the NHS, allowing privatisation to occur.

Our current government want us to join TTIP. The EU is negotiating amendments to protect public services, including the NHS.
Original post by JordanL_
Nope. You should read what he said, because he didn't say that.

Any single country could veto Turkey from joining, and multiple countries have already said they intend to.

No, it won't. EU immigrants bring in 34% more in taxes than they take in welfare and services, while British natives take more than they bring in. EU immigrants are the only thing keeping the NHS afloat.

Our current government want us to join TTIP. The EU is negotiating amendments to protect public services, including the NHS.

I think you need to re-read
"The British policymakers and British voters have to know that there will be not be any kind of renegotiation, We have concluded a deal with the Prime Minister, he got the maximum he could receive, we gave the maximum we could give. So there will be no kind of renegotiation, nor on the agreement we found in February, nor as far as any kind of treaty negotiations are concerned.”
Firstly, hi! The EU president has said no more reforms-what we have now is the one we have to stay with if we remain. Turkey is close to getting a deal, it was revealed that talks were close to finalising the final steps of securing a deal (without passing it) but that's another lie the remain has said. Fields like research wouldn't suffer massively, as the UK would still have access to medical journals-the EU would not be allowed to bar UK medical professionals from accessing trials or runs of new medicines, it would be slower but we would have access to cutting edge medical trials in the USA, Japan and Australia if we leave. The NHS staff will not be vastly affected, many come from outside the EU and have work documents-my aunty is a GP from the Phillipines, so I know this for a fact. The NHS will also be eased by the reduced immigrant flow and cuts and the EU want us to join TTIP which would allow US companies to bid in the NHS, allowing privatisation to occur. Immigration, the thing is, leave campaigners are wanting a points based system-where skilled workers are allowed in, but not everyone (so people without skills are not allowed in unless they are under threat) like Australia. Does this help? :smile: You have until 10 to make a difference!

Thanks so much, unfortunately I'm only 16 so I can't vote XD. But you did raise some interesting points. My issue is that how can you know that things wont be affected? We can only speculate and surely the economists are the most qualified to do so? If they are almost all in agreement that Brexit would be bad then surely they are making the most informed decisions? 62% of migrants from western Europe the A15 countries such as France, Italy and Spain who come to Britain each year have a university degree compared with 24% of the British labour force. So aside from medicine, its clear that migrants are not all bad ( which you did say). My worry is that not everyone's intentions are as pure as yours when you have people like Nigel Farage and Donald Trump supporting leave. I've seen plenty of xenophobic statements about why they want to 'close the boarders' and I don't want that to be the future for the UK :/ . Also the EU has only passed 4 out of 121 laws in the last 5 years ( or thereabouts) so why do people complain that they are so responsible for our laws. The EU is a major trading partner for the UK so why would we assume that they would be so happy to renegotiate trade deals? We can't expect to get a deal like Switzerland can we? With the leave campaign quoting unsupported figures like £350 million a week to the EU can we really trust their predictions? It seems like a bit of an optimistic guessing game if we leave. Also Turkey has only filled in 1 of the 35 criterea for EU membership, are they really close?
(edited 7 years ago)
Don't cry if you voted IN :smile:

By now I assume you are aware that you lost and I won. I think a "ha ha" is in order don't you?

I won't expect a reply from you, just know that pretty soon we will be out of the EU. If you don't like that fact then **** off out of my country.
Original post by cbreef
You couldn't be more wrong. It's hilarious.

I wasn't wrong at all. But anyway the good guys won so your opinion on this matter is now irrelevant. Go away
Original post by OturuDansay
Don't cry if you voted IN :smile:

LOL. Have you seen them on various Facebook pages? LOL. Losers
Original post by stephenb1608
By now I assume you are aware that you lost and I won. I think a "ha ha" is in order don't you?

I won't expect a reply from you, just know that pretty soon we will be out of the EU. If you don't like that fact then **** off out of my country.

The country lost 25x last night what it contributes to the EU in a year.

"Ha ha". Well done. I intend to **** off out of your country, as do Scotland and Northern Ireland.
NY Times
"Louise rolled her eyes. In what sounded like a final plea, she said: “At the end of the day, the E.U. is going to affect my generation more than it will affect your generation. So shouldn’t it be down to us to decide whether or not to stay?"

:facepalm:
The country lost 25x last night what it contributes to the EU in a year.

"Ha ha". Well done. I intend to **** off out of your country, as do Scotland and Northern Ireland.

No not at all. I'm Scottish and I can assure you we will remain British. Only 1 million and 62 thousand people out of a population of 5 million 300 thousand vote for the SNP. The majority of us consider ourselves British and we always will do.

As for the Northern Irish, they are British and will remain so. You lost. Now leave. People like you always hated this country anyway.
No not at all. I'm Scottish and I can assure you we will remain British. Only 1 million and 62 thousand people out of a population of 5 million 300 thousand vote for the SNP. The majority of us consider ourselves British and we always will do.

As for the Northern Irish, they are British and will remain so. You lost. Now leave. People like you always hated this country anyway.

Most of Scotland voted to stay in the EU, and 45% of them voted to leave the UK last time.
Most of Scotland voted to stay in the EU, and 45% of them voted to leave the UK last time.

Not quite. Certainly, 62% of those voting in Scotland voted to remain in the EU. In the independence referendum only 38% of the electorate (45% of those voting) voted in favour of independence; the rest (62%) didn't care, were against or couldn't make their minds up.

It is not clear that there would be a majority for independence in a fresh referendum.
Reply 274
Scotland, save yourself and join the EU.
I wasn't wrong at all. But anyway the good guys won so your opinion on this matter is now irrelevant. Go away

Oh really? Good guys being Boris The Horse? That man can't be trusted with cake nevermind the economy or the NHS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending