The Student Room Group

If parliament had allowed 16-18 to vote

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheWetNoodle
Those under the age of 18 would be naive when it comes to politics and "facts" which come from governments and friends or family. They would be more easily swayed by a government's "Remain" view. So no they shouldn't be allowed to vote as their opinion can easily be decided by what the "facts" say and other propaganda tactics to remain, whose "facts" seemed more popular and "safe".

Under 18s wouldn't be any more naive than those over 18.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 61
Original post by Blue_Mason
Oh please, most 16 - 18 year olds are clueless when it comes to politics and making important decisions.

Maybe you were when you were 16 - 18, but times are constantly changing. There are thousands of people aged over 18 who are clueless about politics. If the government can allow a person to live on their own and entirely fund their lifestyle from the job that they have at the age of 16, why should they not be able to vote on a topic that can change so many things about their self-established lifestyle?
Original post by JessyJoy
Maybe you were when you were 16 - 18, but times are constantly changing. There are thousands of people aged over 18 who are clueless about politics. If the government can allow a person to live on their own and entirely fund their lifestyle from the job that they have at the age of 16, why should they not be able to vote on a topic that can change so many things about their self-established lifestyle?

Because the average 16 cannot maintain an independent lifestyle, and I ma talking about the average 16 - 18 year old.
My comment applies to the average, and there is a lot of truth
Original post by DavidSilvaMCFC
Edited for accuracy

A bit insulting
I am 16, my mum is smart enough to see this result will effect me more than her (although it may delay her retirement) she said she would vote how I wanted knowing that I was watching the debate etc Of course she told me her opinion and she agreed with me (remain). A surprising amount of the people in my year have looked at the information and formed a opinion. I do not mean they have agreed with me but even though I disagree with them they do at least seem to have seen the arguments.
Original post by teenhorrorstory
And when we turn 18 we suddenly become so much more politically aware and free thinking?

No, no one is saying that. Were just saying that in general, this is the age when you start becoming better informed and educated in politics. It's very general, and is not any sort of sudden change at all.
Original post by teenhorrorstory
If 16-18 years old were allowed to vote in the referendum, then it's very likely that remain would have actually won. There's a very clear trend that shows how the elderly are very anti EU while the younger people tend to be pro EU. It's very frustrating for me as a 17 year old to see decisions being made by people who will honestly die within the next 10 years while I am unable to have a say. The future belongs to us, the youth.

You do know that there is only two million 16-18 year olds in the UK? Assuming 70% of them went out to vote and 80% voted to remain, the remain camp still wouldn't have won.
Original post by ILuvAipomZ
lol my 18th birthday is in a week so im pretty pissed off ngl

lol pisstake, my 18th birthday is in August so I definitely feel your pain.
Original post by jake4198
You do know that there is only two million 16-18 year olds in the UK? Assuming 70% of them went out to vote and 80% voted to remain, the remain camp still wouldn't have won.

libtards + stats = a big nono :smile:
Original post by TrueDetective01
libtards + stats = a big nono :smile:

The regressive left hate anything which contradicts their political bias.
Original post by jake4198
The regressive left hate anything which contradicts their political bias.

Couldn't agree more :smile:
they voted out as they had to fight for our rights against Europe not 70 years ago and so they fear that same could happen again
Can you explain something?
Why is the leave+remain not close to 100%?
88 84 84 88
I understand that some votes may have been invalid etc. but 12% or 16%?!
Original post by Nathanielle
On the other hand, the young ones are more likely to be good informed, because they have no day-job or tough university course hindering them from reading newspapers and discussing all day long. I was definitely far more educated, when I was still at school.
Because you're definitely *well informed and educated...
Reply 74
It's all well and good saying that 16/17 year olds are uneducated and are too immature to vote, but given the chance I guarantee so many more young people would be interested in politics if their say would be heard.
So please don't call us immature and clueless because there's a hell of a lot of adults out there that were just as clueless as you make youngsters out to be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its a good thing that voting is 18+ in most democratic countries. I think even that is way too young to make an informed decision. Just look at the majority of Bernie voters.

Juuuust kidding...
(edited 7 years ago)
Thats just mean. Old people have the right to vote after all they contributed to the economy and helped build it so ofcourse they need to have a say.

I'm just a little bit confused. After results were announced, it seems to me that BREXIT has potentially made the Uk suffer (value of the pound, Scottish independence, prime minister stepping down). I know its a bit too soon to say but ive seen more negatives than positives because of this referendum. Hmmm
Original post by Blackstarr
Its just a shame for those who turn 18 the day after the elections, it must really suck

Yeah it does, feel sorry for us

Original post by ILuvAipomZ
lol my 18th birthday is in a week so im pretty pissed off ngl

Same here, I'm just a month too young. Its not like my political stance on the EU is going to change in a month is it?
would be a very bad move as these kids won't even know the full facts and will be very biased in favour of a left wing culture. Who knows what they will tell their students in assemblies etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending