The Student Room Group

I'm angry at those who voted leave without a valid reason

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JordanL_
Such a stupid argument. "People are entitled to make decisions, so all decisions are the right one."

Nah. If you decided to leave because you heard we'd give £350m/week to the NHS, you're an utter moron, because that was never going to happen, we knew it wasn't going to happen, and it's having the opposite effect. If you based your decision for MY FUTURE on lies, misinformation and lazy research (or complete lack of), people have a good right to be pissed. "I'm entitled to my opinion" doesn't make your opinion any less stupid.

I think the importance of this statement has been lost completely during the EU referendum campaign. It became a time of "post-factual" politics where the figures were made up and facts didn't matter. Gove actually said the British people were "sick of experts". In that case, if you don't listen to people with actual expertise on a subject, who the hell do you listen to?

People have a right to an informed opinion. An uninformed opinion can be disregarded as the useless guff it is.
Original post by Quantex
Those who voted leave because they believe Johnny Foreigner outcompetes them in the labour market are in for a shock when they discover they are still unemployed or poorly paid due to their lack of skills and education. I'm looking at you, Sunderland.

Lowest unemployment rate in decades yet Brits still think immigrants are stealing their jobs.
What I find ridiculous is those who voted to leave saying "the tears of remainers" etc etc. Seriously? Do you think we're just whining for no reason??? And bish, you're screwed too. As we go down, you'll all go down also. The negative effects will not say hmm I will not impact those who voted to leave but it will hit you hard as it hits all of us. You will feel the consequences just as everyone else so stop rejoicing as if there's a win here. There's no flipping win but within 3 hours a drop in the value of our money. Not only that, we have no set prime minister any more until October and now Scotland, along with Ireland wants to possibly leave. Your pride stinks. Get over yourselves and face the reality. We need other countries to survive!
Such a stupid argument. "People are entitled to make decisions, so all decisions are the right one."

Nah. If you decided to leave because you heard we'd give £350m/week to the NHS, you're an utter moron, because that was never going to happen, we knew it wasn't going to happen, and it's having the opposite effect. If you based your decision for MY FUTURE on lies, misinformation and lazy research (or complete lack of), people have a good right to be pissed. "I'm entitled to my opinion" doesn't make your opinion any less stupid.

1. I didn't say that anything about having a right decision, YOU said that-don't put words in my mouth
2.I'm not part of the leave campaign. 99% of promises made by politicians at any event is not coming true.
3. No one is responsible for making people do research, not everyone cares. If you wanted to persuade people to make a "good" decision, then YOU do it. If it's YOUR future.
Original post by Eigo-Jin
1. I didn't say that anything about having a right decision, YOU said that-don't put words in my mouth
2.I'm not part of the leave campaign. 99% of promises made by politicians at any event is not coming true.
3. No one is responsible for making people do research, not everyone cares. If you wanted to persuade people to make a "good" decision, then YOU do it. If it's YOUR future.

Many people tried to persuade, but it seems a large proportion of people aren't capable of critical thinking. "We're sick of experts..." what a load of *******s.
Original post by Rhythmical
to back them up. All they could say was "OUT OUT OUT!" whenever I'd ask or others would ask why they want Britain to leave the EU and they would also add in immigration is the reason why. Nothing else, purely that. And because of poorly based decisions, Britain is now worse off. And if France let the migrants cross the border then the last laugh is on you.

This angers me, to leave the EU solely for that reason is not only completely stupid, it is very ignorant and it really shows where Britain stands in terms of their discriminatory views/ racism.
Many people tried to persuade, but it seems a large proportion of people aren't capable of critical thinking. "We're sick of experts..." what a load of *******s.

It just feels like people rebelling against the establishment, trying to exercise their democratic right in a manner which allows their voice to be heard, I don't think many actually thought it through to be completely honest.
Original post by WBZ144
Once I finish qualifying I'm out of this country. Many of my graduate friends are looking to move abroad as well because the future looks bleak. The older generation has screwed us over.

I've missed my grades for uni so I'm gonna apply for somewhere abroad in the EU. Just hope it's still possible next year. I don't want to be stuck on a sinking ship with these idiots, they can make Britain (or just England and Wales, it seems) great again by themselves.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
This angers me, to leave the EU solely for that reason is not only completely stupid, it is very ignorant and it really shows where Britain stands in terms of their discriminatory views/ racism.

How was your bowl of cornflakes :tongue:?On more serious matters,I am genuinely worried about the future,not sure how Brexit will affect my uni application and there a good chance we will have a right ring Tory govt,so more cuts are on the way.

I think that you have to relate to the people. Delivering accurate facts in a manner that is desirable and, importantly, relevant to the working class is a good way to persuade in a leave or remain campaign. Some people may not like listening to experts because they may not understand the technical language being used or perceive the experts as talking down to them or thinking them as inferior. Of course this, in many cases, is not true but I think it takes a person who is talented at delivering speeches or have good social skills to deliver a message brilliantly.
Original post by Kadak
How was your bowl of cornflakes :tongue:?On more serious matters,I am genuinely worried about the future,not sure how Brexit will affect my uni application and there a good chance we will have a right ring Tory govt,so more cuts are on the way.

I've literally just woken up and heard the news about the petition, so that made me smile slightly.

I'm just sad that it had to come to this for "peoples voices to be heard" (I keep repeating that but I know that was one one of the sole factors in this referendum vote)
Original post by Quantex
Those who voted leave because they believe Johnny Foreigner outcompetes them in the labour market are in for a shock when they discover they are still unemployed or poorly paid due to their lack of skills and education. I'm looking at you, Sunderland.

Not to mention that a Johnson/Gove government will slam down on government spending much harder than Dave/George, leaving many areas of the North and Midlands that voted Leave totally in the ****.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes

I know, I noticed how it was mainly older people voting this opinion or those who usually moan about immigrants taking their jobs and how they are unemployed etc, and this was all on my Facebook timeline. I don't even know what the future holds, no one knows but I'm sure remaining was a far safer and better option for us all. Its a shame hoe the older generation outvoted the younger generation who needed their voices to be heard.
I've missed my grades for uni so I'm gonna apply for somewhere abroad in the EU. Just hope it's still possible next year. I don't want to be stuck on a sinking ship with these idiots, they can make Britain (or just England and Wales, it seems) great again by themselves.

Bye lol.

Also bye to the other 50 people on TSR threatening to leave Britain.
Original post by Rhythmical
to back them up. All they could say was "OUT OUT OUT!" whenever I'd ask or others would ask why they want Britain to leave the EU and they would also add in immigration is the reason why. Nothing else, purely that. And because of poorly based decisions, Britain is now worse off. And if France let the migrants cross the border then the last laugh is on you.

I am sad about anybody who voted without a valid reason.
Original post by Kadak
Pretty sums up Brexit people.Farage has already gone back on his 350million a week for the NHS.So all the Brexit people talking about more money for the NHS were simply parrots with Boris and Farage hands up their puppet a****.

Lol you're silly. He went back on his "350 million a week"? No he didn't. He simply stated that it'd free up 350 million a week (and then some campaigners twisted his words). Since when was farage in power? Since when did he have control over how Britain spend their money? Since when was he voted in? Since when was he part of the tory party? HE IS NOT IN POWER. HE DOES NOT GET TO DECIDE HOW BRITAIN SPENDS THE MONEY.... AT ALL.

Why am I having to explain this to 50+ people?
Original post by BioStudentx
Lol you're silly. He went back on his "350 million a week"? No he didn't. He simply stated that it'd free up 350 million a week (and then some campaigners twisted his words). Since when was farage in power? Since when did he have control over how Britain spend their money? Since when was he voted in? Since when was he part of the tory party? HE IS NOT IN POWER. HE DOES NOT GET TO DECIDE HOW BRITAIN SPENDS THE MONEY.... AT ALL.

Keep lying to yourself mate.

Original post by Eigo-Jin
I think that you have to relate to the people. Delivering accurate facts in a manner that is desirable and, importantly, relevant to the working class is a good way to persuade in a leave or remain campaign. Some people may not like listening to experts because they may not understand the technical language being used or perceive the experts as talking down to them or thinking them as inferior. Of course this, in many cases, is not true but I think it takes a person who is talented at delivering speeches or have good social skills to deliver a message brilliantly.

But that's hard to impossible sometimes. They were already convinced that we'd be at least £350m/week better off if we left, and that that money would be spent on the NHS, welfare, education, infrastructure (they had some ambitious plans for a net £180m/week), and they wouldn't listen to anyone who told them otherwise. Politicians, businesspeople, celebrities, renowned academics and international economics organisations.

It seemed like the more people that tried to share the facts, the deeper the delusions went. Everyone who tried to warn people was obviously one of the elites, a rich scumbag trying to promote their own interests and oppress the poor. Economists didn't know what they were talking about, the IMF was corrupt, politicians had no principles (unless they were Nigel Farage or Boris Johnson). They started #UsePens because they thought MI5 was going to rub out their ballot cards ffs.

You can't convince people when they don't live in the real world. These people built up a narrative in their heads and stuck with it, and they only paid any attention to the few people that would back them up.
Reply 98
Original post by Mr Smurf
The tears of the hardcore remain campaigners are delicious.

Wish I could rep again:biggrin:
Original post by BioStudentx

He has said on national television that he DID say the EU contributions money would go into the NHS as part of his campaign and that it was a mistake. Regardless of whether it's up to him or not to decide how that money is spent on, the man lied for votes, pure and simple.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending