The Student Room Group

Operation Fightback - Millennials vs Baby Boomers after Brexit

I'm sure most people have seen this graph (or one similar) being bandied about this morning. It shows that 18-29 year-olds voted Remain by a 45+ point margin whilst baby boomers voted Leave by a 25+ point margin.

What can the 75% of young people who voted Remain do now? How can young people stand up and reject a referendum result ushered in by people who won't live long enough to see the true long-term repercussions of our exit?

We have to protect our country from a group of people who thrived under social democracy and the welfare state and are now intent on dismantling it.

I wrote a very short blog post this morning called Millennials aren’t going to take it any more. The fight begins this morning.

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Norfolkadam
I'm sure most people have seen this graph (or one similar) being bandied about this morning. It shows that 18-29 year-olds voted Remain by a 45+ point margin whilst baby boomers voted Leave by a 25+ point margin.

What can the 75% of young people who voted Remain do now? How can young people stand up and reject a referendum result ushered in by people who won't live long enough to see the true long-term repercussions of our exit?

We have to protect our country from a group of people who thrived under social democracy and the welfare state and are now intent on dismantling it.

I wrote a very short blog post this morning called Millennials aren’t going to take it any more. The fight begins this morning.

What do you think?

75% of young people might have voted to remain, but 25% of young people chose to leave. In a democracy, everyone's vote is equal and therefore you can't differentiate between the demographics just because the referendum result was different to your political bias. There is also argument to suggest that young people don't have enough life experience and have been trapped in an idealistic bubble wherein they don't comprehend the true consequences of Britain being a member of the EU because the see the world as some rosy utopia. By your logic, over 75s shouldn't have been able to vote in the General Election because the life expectancy in Britain suggests they'll die before the end of the government.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jake4198
75% of young people might have voted to remain, but 25% of young people chose to leave. In a democracy, everyone's vote is equal and therefore you can't differentiate between the demographics just because the referendum result was different to your political bias. There is also argument to suggest that young people don't have enough life experience and have been trapped in an idealistic bubble wherein they don't comprehend the true consequences of Britain being a member of the EU because the see the world as some rosy utopia.

52% of people voted Leave so we are leaving.

75% of young people voted Remain but apparently that's not a characterisation of that demographic.

(In 2015 43% of people voted Labour, 27% Conservative, 5% Lib Dem, 8% Green and 8% UKIP. That's a pretty mixed bag but it shows young people lean further to the left than older people. A 75/25 split is pretty decisive). source
52% of people voted Leave so we are leaving.

75% of young people voted Remain but apparently that's not a characterisation of that demographic.

(In 2015 43% of people voted Labour, 27% Conservative, 5% Lib Dem, 8% Green and 8% UKIP. That's a pretty mixed bag but it shows young people lean further to the left than older people. A 75/25 split is pretty decisive). source

In the Scottish referendum 65% of 16-29 year olds would have voted to leave the UK as oppose to 32% of over 55s. Does that mean we should have a second Scottish referendum?
In the Scottish referendum 65% of 16-29 year olds would have voted to leave the UK as oppose to 32% of over 55s. Does that mean we should have a second Scottish referendum?

Who's saying we should have a second EU referendum? Not me.

I'm talking about getting youth turnout at elections up from 43%. About getting young people to fight back against older generations intent on dismantling social democracy.
Who's saying we should have a second EU referendum? Not me.

But the young people in Scotland voted "decisively" to leave the UK, however they were kept in the UK by the elders who voted overwhelmingly to stay in the union. By your logic, the Scottish referendum was against the will of young people and therefore unfair because they'll have to live with the "consequences" for longer.
But the young people in Scotland voted "decisively" to leave the UK, however they were kept in the UK by the elders who voted overwhelmingly to stay in the union. By your logic, the Scottish referendum was against the will of young people and therefore unfair because they'll have to live with the "consequences" for longer.

You have to respect the outcome of a referendum but you don't then give up and go home if you lose.

You fight for what you believe is best for you, your country and other people. That's what politics is.

What do you want me to say? "A whopping great majority of people (er 2% majority) voted Leave therefore I accept the outcome and look forward to working together with Britain's older voters destroy everything I believe in".
You have to respect the outcome of a referendum but you don't then give up and go home if you lose.

You fight for what you believe is best for you, your country and other people. That's what politics is.

What do you want me to say? "A whopping great majority of people (er 2% majority) voted Leave therefore I accept the outcome and look forward to working together with Britain's older voters destroy everything I believe in".

It wasn't 2%, it was 4%, and a win of well over one million votes is a decisive victory. If you believe in democracy, you will believe that all peoples, regardless of race, sex and age, are entitled to their vote. You should respect the will of the people and start trying to better Britain as an independent and commonwealth nation.

What do you think?

What can you do? Be mature and stop thinking there is a conspiracy against you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unfortunately these same young people will have to deal with what the older generation wanted.
Original post by Cherry82
Unfortunately these same young people will have to deal with what the older generation wanted.

Why do young people think there is a conspiracy against them, as if the elderly simply thought "what will screw over our grandchildren the most?"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Young people certainly aren't doing themselves any favours with this sore loser bs. We're already thought of as whiny self-entitled dickheads who throw a tantrum anytime we don't get our way, and now just to reinforce that idea everyone is going on social media ranting about old people or crying over the realisation that their social circle of like minded pinko leftist revolutionaries isn't actually representative of the national population.
The referendum is over, the result is in. Take it on the chin, dry your eyes and move on. The last thing someone who's worked their entire lives wants to hear is condescending waffle from some scruffy wet-behind-the-ears student about how right they think they are.
(edited 7 years ago)
Young people can learn that this is how a democracy works. Just because a referendum did not go their way, it's part and parcel of being privileged enough to be born into a a system of government that gives the power to its people.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Why do young people think there is a conspiracy against them, as if the elderly simply thought "what will screw over our grandchildren the most?"

Posted from TSR Mobile

As someone who is apart of that sector, the young people group I genuinely do not. I do not believe that the older generation is trying to conspire against us because I understand that people had good intentions in wanting us to leave but unfortunately thought about themselves more than what's good for everybody. I don't blame people, I get that people put themselves as first priority. I do however find it unfair that the majority of the younger sector who voted to remain, if any thing goes wrong would sadly be the ones to suffer the most though the voted otherwise. It's us who are just starting our careers, entering university and wanting to find ourselves as people. The older generation generally speaking have already established themselves, either retired or in a secure career that allows them to vote leaving. When the older generation who mainly voted for us to leave, pass away, it will be us still here dealing with the decision. It's our future at stake here. I'm about turning 19 and I'm petrified.
As someone who is apart of that sector, the young people group I genuinely do not. I do not believe that the older generation is trying to conspire against us because I understand that people had good intentions in wanting us to leave but unfortunately thought about themselves more than what's good for everybody. I don't blame people, I get that people put themselves as first priority. I do however find it unfair that the majority of the younger sector who voted to remain, if any thing goes wrong would sadly be the ones to suffer the most though the voted otherwise. It's us who are just starting our careers, entering university and wanting to find ourselves as people. The older generation generally speaking have already established themselves, either retired or in a secure career that allows them to vote leaving. When the older generation who mainly voted for us to leave, pass away, it will be us still here dealing with the decision. It's our future at stake here. I'm about turning 19 and I'm petrified.

Do you know what the likely outcome will be? Somebody who went into a coma last year and comes out of it in 5 years will notice no real difference in the Britain they left and the Britain they wake up in

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pol pot noodles
Young people certainly aren't doing themselves any favours with this sore loser bs. We're already thought of as whiny self-entitled dickheads who throw a tantrum anytime we don't get our way, and now just to reinforce that idea everyone is going on social media ranting about old people or crying over the realisation that their social circle of like minded pinko leftist revolutionaries isn't actually representative of the national population.
The referendum is over, the result is in. Take it on the chin, dry your eyes and move on. The last thing someone who's worked their entire lives wants to hear is condescending waffle from some scruffy wet-behind-the-ears student about how right they think they are.

Pretty sure that's what the Leave campaign was all about.

As far as I'm concerned this isn't really about the EU referendum, it goes wider. Many young people feel like the political system has repeatedly taken from them and given to their better off, more financially stable, more conservative elders. Be it University fees, the housing market, restricting benefits and wages for the under 25s there is a good case to say that the opinions of young people are not being taken into account in favor of giving tax breaks, pension increases and other benefits to the Baby Boomer generation.

The question is what do you do about it. Frankly the UK political system provides me with absolutely no confidence in it's ability to change. Direct Action is the only answer.
Original post by mojojojo101
Pretty sure that's what the Leave campaign was all about.

How, in the slightest?

What do you think?

I think your post reeks of age discrimination.

Different cohorts may vote differently, however in a democracy every individual should be entitled to equal voting rights.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jammy Duel
Do you know what the likely outcome will be? Somebody who went into a coma last year and comes out of it in 5 years will notice no real difference in the Britain they left and the Britain they wake up in

Posted from TSR Mobile

But we don't know that. Already, there's been drastic negative effects. If it wasn't for these negative effects that already happened not even up to a day after the results but hours after, no one would complain as much.
At this point, I'm now just hoping for the best. I'm done crying over spilled milk. If it goes well, that's great as it is all to our advantage as a country then if it does not go well, I guess we'll just have to pick up the pieces and learn from our past mistakes. Hopefully the pound will gain its worth again, that Cameron will change his mind on leaving or at least we'd be able to find a good prime minister in replacement and most importantly that Scotland will see some benefits in staying with us. This is me being optimistic. The truth though is that optimism is at times very far from the reality. Fingers crossed we'll be ok.
Tuition fees have raised to 9,000 from 3,000 over the years...the last thing young people need who fall into at least £27,000 in debt is a recession. And the government even had the audacity to state it may increase over the years. In Germany, if I remember clearly it is free of charge to study at university. Now we've left, who knows how hard it would be for British students to receive a free education by studying and partly staying in Germany.
(edited 7 years ago)
But we don't know that. Already, there's been drastic negative effects. If it wasn't for these negative effects that already happened not even up to a day after the results but hours after, no one would complain as much.
At this point, I'm now just hoping for the best. I'm done crying over spilled milk. If it goes well, that's great as it is all to our advantage as a country then if it does not go well, I guess we'll just have to pick up the pieces and learn from our past mistakes. Hopefully the pound will gain its worth again, that Cameron will change his mind on leaving or at least we'd be able to find a good prime minister in replacement and most importantly that Scotland will see some benefits in staying with us. This is me being optimistic. The truth though is that optimism is at times very far from the reality. Fingers crossed we'll be ok.
Tuition fees have raised to 9,000 from 3,000 over the years...the last thing young people need who fall into at least £27,000 in debt is a recession. And the government even had the audacity to state it may increase over the years. In Germany, if I remember clearly it is free of charge to study at university. Now we've left, who knows how hard it would be for British students to receive a free education by studying and partly staying in Germany.

It's literally impossible to default on student debt. You either earn enough to afford to pay it back or you don't pay back anything. Tuition fees are the biggest red herring I have ever seen when it comes to people moaning about the economy or their own personal finances.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending