The Student Room Group

I'm angry at those who voted leave without a valid reason

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BioStudentx
It's not hard for leave/remain campaigners to use someone as a figurehead for something they've never said. Both sides have done it.. Nigel farage believes that we should fund our NHS instead of giving 350 million a week to europe. Nigel farage is not in power so he cannot deliver this but he hopes when we do leave the EU that's now the money is spent. I agree with him, the NHS should be funded instead. Fingers crossed that the next person in charge does this...

But we don't even have that extra £350m a week, and we were never going to, and he knew that. Our net contribution to the EU was less than half that, so at the very most we'd have had an extra £180m/week, and even that was optimistic, because it was known from the start that our economy would take a hit, at least in the short term. We've already lost more than we'd save over the next 15 years.
Theres no point discussion who's a who and what should've happened etc. Whats happened has happened. Our part is now to go forward from it
Original post by JordanL_
But we don't even have that extra £350m a week, and we were never going to, and he knew that. Our net contribution to the EU was less than half that, so at the very most we'd have had an extra £180m/week, and even that was optimistic, because it was known from the start that our economy would take a hit, at least in the short term. We've already lost more than we'd save over the next 15 years.

Again, you've derailed the argument. I was talking about what Nigel said/didn't say. I'm not discussing whether leaving the EU is a good thing... The points you're making is why EU is a bad thing - I'm saying it's unfair to blame farage about the 350 million a week comment...
Original post by fpmaniac
Why are you moving out??? At least wait for things to get better

My dad lost hundreds of pounds this morning while travelling when he tried to exchange currency because the value of the pound has already dropped. I'm genuinely fearful that we're heading for a very bad recession. The EU also wants us out as soon as possible.
Again, you've derailed the argument. I was talking about what Nigel said/didn't say. I'm not discussing whether leaving the EU is a good thing... The points you're making is why EU is a bad thing - I'm saying it's unfair to blame farage about the 350 million a week comment...

Nigel Farage said we'd be £350m/week better off explicitly, this wasn't something his campaign said and he just went along with it.
Nigel Farage said we'd be £350m/week better off explicitly, this wasn't something his campaign said and he just went along with it.

Loads of "experts" predict loads of things. Do we start calling them frauds if they're wrong? based on that logic 99% of the experts are frauds... Leaving the EU was a risk and everyone who voted to leave knew that. Even now (after the leave campaign back tracking on the NHS comment) the results would be the same. Man up, stop crying and move on?

Anyway, you're supposed to be leaving the country. Why are your panties in a twist?
There are some people who voted leave because they thought remain will win in the end :s-smilie:
Reply 127
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
I voted leave for fun because I didn't think it would make a difference.

Me too!
Original post by WBZ144
My dad lost hundreds of pounds this morning while travelling when he tried to exchange currency because the value of the pound has already dropped. I'm genuinely fearful that we're heading for a very bad recession. The EU also wants us out as soon as possible.

Just because your dad has lost money in one day doesnt mean that the future isnt bright. Obviously the markets react negatively for such a big unpredictable change but doesnt mean it wont get better. This is just a beginning of something new. I cant tell you whether it will be good or bad but you will have to wait and see.
Loads of "experts" predict loads of things. Do we start calling them frauds if they're wrong? based on that logic 99% of the experts are frauds... Leaving the EU was a risk and everyone who voted to leave knew that. Even now (after the leave campaign back tracking on the NHS comment) the results would be the same. Man up, stop crying and move on?

Anyway, you're supposed to be leaving the country. Why are your panties in a twist?

What? "We'll be £350m/week better off" isn't a prediction, it's a lie. He said we'd save £350m/week because we wouldn't be paying that to the EU. No, we wouldn't, because we already got more than half of it back.
What? "We'll be £350m/week better off" isn't a prediction, it's a lie. He said we'd save £350m/week because we wouldn't be paying that to the EU. No, we wouldn't, because we already got more than half of it back.

I'm not aware whether your statements are true or not - you've not sourced it so I can't just take your word for it. But all politicians lie for votes? One of the reasons why I may continue the trend of never voting.
I'm not aware whether your statements are true or not - you've not sourced it so I can't just take your word for it. But all politicians lie for votes? One of the reasons why I may continue the trend of never voting.

https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-membership-fee-55-million/

Each year the UK gets an instant discount on its contributions to the EU—the ‘rebate’—worth almost £5 billion last year. Without it the UK would have been liable for £18 billion in contributions.

The UK doesn’t pay or "send to Brussels" this higher figure of £18 billion, or anything equivalent per week or per day. The rebate is applied straight away, so the UK never contributes this much.

Farage said we give the EU £18 billion a year. We actually give it £13 billion, and then receive £4.5 billion back.

Why don't you do your own research and vote based on that?
I don't think many people truly know whether leave or stay will be good or bad. We are not politicians people scream their views and pretend to be clever/know what's going on but most people have only a very limited amount of knowledge on how things really work with the government. It seems a bit absurd that people are expected to make a decision with only limited and biased bits of information but this is just how voting works. I tried to get unbiased info from a few health professional body websites as to how healthcare would be affected and mixed this with my own feelings on immigration before I voted. It's easy to get angry at people but you have to remember we are all entitled to our choices.
https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-membership-fee-55-million/

Farage said we give the EU £18 billion a year. We actually give it £13 billion, and then receive £4.5 billion back.

Why don't you do your own research and vote based on that?

Why does it matter who said what anyways now. Now we're not giving them anything. Both sides exaggerated some facts.
Why does it matter who said what anyways now. Now we're not giving them anything. Both sides exaggerated some facts.

There's exaggerating and there's lying, they're very different.

It matters because people need to learn to actually do their research so they make better decisions in future.
Lets all just leave the country and find someplace else to live.
There's exaggerating and there's lying, they're very different.

It matters because people need to learn to actually do their research so they make better decisions in future.

Well the actual figure was 150 million or so and i dont think that would've made that much of a difference anyways. We still would've left regardless of the actual figure.
Well the actual figure was 150 million or so and i dont think that would've made that much of a difference anyways. We still would've left regardless of the actual figure.

If it wouldn't make a difference, why did they need to lie about it?
If it wouldn't make a difference, why did they need to lie about it?

As I said both sides said not completely true figures so you cant just say that about one side.
Original post by 9hk9
The younger generation are going to be the ones having to live through the consequences that say 50 yr old dave down the pub bloody made and he wont even be there to live through these detrimental changes

Posted from TSR Mobile

50 isn't old; 50 is far from dead.
Isn't there supposed to be the immediate short-term effects?

Wow you have such a degrading view of old people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending