The Student Room Group

Summer 2017 Applications

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stealth_writer
Do a lot of banks accept final year applicants guys ? Or is it only the minority ?

Thanks

Yes. A minority don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do a lot of banks accept final year applicants guys ? Or is it only the minority ?

Thanks

They do but the policy on it varies a lot from bank to bank.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Commercial Paper
They do but the policy on it varies a lot from bank to bank.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I graduate in summer 17 . So hopefully that means I'm still eligible for summer 17 internships , right ?
Well I graduate in summer 17 . So hopefully that means I'm still eligible for summer 17 internships , right ?

Nah. Summer 2017 is targeted towards those graduating in 2018 but you would still be able to get through the process with a lot of banks as a final year student.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Who's applying for S&T internships?
Reply 25
Original post by dasu95
Who's applying for S&T internships?

I guess nobody after brexit today!
Hey everyone, quick question.

So, do firms focus HIGHLY on your A-level grades and the university you study at, compared to other things like work experience etc?

Thanks in advance :smile:
It's a shocking day for Great Britain. I can't wait to apply for internships this year. It's a hard choice for me to choose which divisions I'll be applying for. I throught I was definitely going for M&A but I'm now also considering capital markets And equity research roles.
Probably narrow it down to two and flip a coin. :tongue:
Original post by samiimas
Hey everyone, quick question.

So, do firms focus HIGHLY on your A-level grades and the university you study at, compared to other things like work experience etc?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Definitely on the uni, A levels need to be above a certain threshold for many firms (but iirc, GS/Barc/DB don't have those thresholds in place).

Connections > Work Exp/ECs > uni > a levels > course

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Nice to see this year's thread was created already. Do you guys think M&A summer recruiting will be badly hit by Brexit?
Original post by katuok
Nice to see this year's thread was created already. Do you guys think M&A summer recruiting will be badly hit by Brexit?

It won't be

Posted from TSR Mobile
From what has been said I believe the banks are only planning on moving traders to cities like Paris or Frankfurt. Things like M&A will remain in the United Kingdom.
Information on this are available in the FT and I have also seen an article in the independent.
Original post by katuok

No. Hardly at all in fact.
Reply 34
Original post by Princepieman

Original post by IBFUTURE

Original post by Commercial Paper

Thanks!!
Original post by gsbs2
Even though I hope and think they are right, I´d always take both sources with a pinch of salt.

Completely agree. I'm just saying that it's likely and some banks have been putting this into action. I believe HSBC said that it's moving 1000 Traders to other parts of Europe (most likely Paris). BNP will most likely announce movement of jobs to Paris. (I enjoy reading and watching the news )

I beleive everything I have said should be taken with a pinch of salt to quote gsbs. Some of the information these news outlets are mere speculation and some will most likely be untrue.
Original post by IBFUTURE
Completely agree. I'm just saying that it's likely and some banks have been putting this into action. I believe HSBC said that it's moving 1000 Traders to other parts of Europe (most likely Paris). BNP will most likely announce movement of jobs to Paris. (I enjoy reading and watching the news )

I beleive everything I have said should be taken with a pinch of salt to quote gsbs. Some of the information these news outlets are mere speculation and some will most likely be untrue.

My understanding is so far that HSBC only has plans to move those in Canary Wharf within Payments who process Euro payments for the bank. Not sure about the others yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
To what extent do you guys think summer S&T intern recruitment will be affected by Brexit this year, if at all? From what i've read any movement of staff out of London is speculative at the moment, but tempted to try a different route if there's a genuinely lower chance of success in S&T than elsewhere.
Original post by Robv96
To what extent do you guys think summer S&T intern recruitment will be affected by Brexit this year, if at all? From what i've read any movement of staff out of London is speculative at the moment, but tempted to try a different route if there's a genuinely lower chance of success in S&T than elsewhere.

Any real results of the brexit vote on the industry would only take effect in 2 years time - we're still part of the EU for now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Any real results of the brexit vote on the industry would only take effect in 2 years time - we're still part of the EU for now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There was a good article about this released on Mergers & Inquisitions yesterday evening.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending